Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 650J LT Final Drive Oil Type

mike holcomb · 2022-12-27 10:56

What oil goes in final drives? dealer told me Hyguard or Hyd46 oil i drained seemed like a motor oil type. Idk if someone put wrong oil in on last service. thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Mcrafty12022-12-27 16:12

    The dealer told you right, I know it seems light but my dealer tells me the same thing. I think the HYGuard is like 50w

  2. #2mike holcomb2022-12-28 04:01

    I see different comments on hyguard, they say its like a 10w30 and aw46 is like a 20w. Then I found a sticker under hood that says 80w-90 could be used.. This probably explains why I'm getting weird oil samples back. Between the Opperators adding 15w40 cause that's available and shows on jd chart to whoever use to come and do service when they needed and adding hyguard or 80w90. Only thing I can think of. Had samething happen earlier in yr on 2 loaders that guys said they just add 15w40 cause sticker showed it could be used

  3. #3mg23612022-12-28 06:13

    Hygard is the preferred oil.

  4. #4Mcrafty12022-12-28 06:21

    Sometimes the recommended oils are that way for other reasons than the viscosity rating, things like the metals contained in the area specified and the additive packages in the oil to prevent interaction with the metals, what ever oil you decide to use I would run it by the equipment manufacture representative or at least get a manual for your machine an check if it's acceptable. All oils are not equal in the additive department.

  5. #5mike holcomb2022-12-29 13:19

    anything on the sticker on machine is what i used. itll be fine. stuff has made it 13k hrs whith guys putting in whatever they had. i cant be making it any worse. i sample everything, so now i have reports on everything last 2 years. this machine came in for full service, now i know what i have.

  6. #6Mcrafty12022-12-29 16:52

    You answered your own original question, I have to wonder why you asked...lol

  7. #7mike holcomb2022-12-29 17:50

    Read 3 or 4 up ‍♂️

  8. #8Volvomad2022-12-29 19:20

    Dont know this machine . Is it epicyclic, or bull wheel, with or without brakes. Hyguard sounds a little light unless u are in the cold. How many johndeere oils do you think may suit this application ? I live by the motto of the U2 pilots.(in god we thrust, everybody else ,we keep an eye on). I am not a big fan of oem oils as in my gut ,I feel to some degree it is a racket. I feel some have a habit of of speccing what they already have and sometimes it has to be a compromise to suit all the components in the system. Ag tractor manufacturers tended to put UTTO or engine oil everywhere except for front drive axles which sometimes speced 90 gear oil for diff and final drives instead. If UTTO is on the light side for a tractor ,I would question a dozer. Have issues with loader axles since they put brakes inboard they went from EP 90 to UTTO with less than half the viscocity. I love to rant. Sorry

  9. #9Shimmy12022-12-29 19:59

    Sounds like some leaks need fixed....

  10. #10Mcrafty12022-12-30 05:22

    I'm good with you using whatever you're happy with. If anyone else is interested Deere recommends Hygard in the finals of the 650J, they're the ones behind the warranty, if that wasn't an acceptable oil for that purpose doesn't seem logical that would be so.