I'm new to this Forum. Don't know exactly how this works but I'm giving it a try. Here is my question! Does anyone know anything about the JD 655C and the series 2 Track Loaders as in Power, dependability, cost of maintenance ? I have been moving dirt since I was able to walk but know nothing about the JD 655C Track Loader. What I do know is they are much cheaper than the Cat. I know that all Cat men out there will say, " You get what you pay for" but I don't care a bit about a name. What I care about is the tractors performance and what it cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I haven't heard much good from the excavators around me as to the Deere/Liebherr machines, seems they have soft shoes and don't respond well to hard service in our part of the world. Most will take a old Cat to a newer Deere most any day, both are hydrostat but the Cat units have a edge as to time in field. Older Deeres seemed to do fine until they got any age to them then the cost to keep them moving grew exponentially with that age.
Thanks for responding, I am familiar with the Cat but know nothing about the Deere. I have been on Ritchie Brothers Auction Site and the newer Deere's are much cheaper. I do know they are made by Liebherr, but I know nothing about them either. I guess I'm just trying to figure out is it the name " Cat" or the performance of the Deere that separates them in price. Any information sent is helpful. Thank You again.
Welcome to the Forums KGee!:drinkup I'm a Cat guy and I'll tell you that up front. However, the reason I am a Cat guy is the quality of equipment, don't get me wrong I am not blinded by brand loyalty but rather experience. A big part of that has to do with my dealer, which is just as important as brand IMO. Parts availability and service are top notch, although as the iron I have is out of warranty we do most of our own repairs but having parts available same or next day is a huge benefit. Bought a new 953C in 2004, it currently has 4400 hours on it. So far I have turned the P&B's, put a couple of sets of pads on it due to abrasive environments and other wear items. Also replaced back up alarm, switch on the directional joystick for the backup alarm, A/C compressor and the right side engine harness. The engine harness was replaced by the dealer at a cost of $1500, $500 for the harness and $1000 in labor, diagnostics and travel time. There is reason why the same size machine is cheaper than another, the market has a way of equalizing itself. I have no experience with the JD 655 but I do have a few years owning a 953 and equipment in general. If a particular machine is cheaper than the others, when compared with same year, wear and hour machines - they're more expensive to maintain and operate. Just my $.02 and worth what you paid for it.
Thank You DFC, I understand exactly what you are saying. I also know that you are completely right. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around the price difference. It blows my mind that JD would put their name on an inferior piece of equipment. We are not talking 5 to 10 percent. Some of these machines are 50 percent cheaper than the cat when you equalize machines with attachments, hours, undercarriage and year made. Even though I haven't operated JD's Heavy track loader I do own a JD tractor and rent JD and Cat equipment often. I see no big difference in either equipment and that's brings me back to the Track Loader. Why would they make such an inferior product? Again, I agree with you on everything you said. Just trying to wrap my head around this. Even though I own a few pieces of equipment, I rent a lot of equipment due to keep from shipping equipment all over the country. In renting, I don't have the day to day maintenance issues as If I owned the equipment. D Milller and yourself has put this issue to the forefront of my thoughts with both threads and that's why I'm on this site. Gaining knowledge from people that know more than me!!! Thank You, your insight has been very helpful. Do you know any Deere men on this sight that does operate a 655C or 755C Daily ? One other question, How do you haul your 953 ? If by lowboy, would you be comfortable hauling with a 25 ton tag along ? THANK YOU !
Kgee . I owner & operate Jd 655C II & love it . have had it for 4 yrs . will be taking delivery of a new jd 655K soon . i demoed a brand new cat 953 d for 4 days & its a very nice unit . then i demoed a new jd 655K & loved it . ordered the deere . You are right there is a big difference in used prices ? Cat will tell you its worth more at trade ??? My 655c II is very quiet and powerful machine . you have weight the price differ.
Thanks for responding SVTSHELBY500. I have a ton of questions for you, and If you would, please stay with me on this. 1 ) Was the machine new when you bought your first 655C II ? If not, how many hours did it have and how many does it have now. After you answer this, I will ask you about how the undercarriage is holding up with the type of soil you are working in. 2 ) What problems have you had with machine in the four years you have owned it ? 3 ) Why do you Love it ? Please give me details. Smoothness and operator comfort etc. 4 ) If your undercarriage had to be replaced today, What would it cost for a full undercarriage replacement? I just got a quote from Cat today on a 953C. The cost was 18 thousand for the parts. 5 ) What year was your machine manufactured ? Thank You
2006 with 1465 hrs when i got it . 2700 hrs on it now . had a warr. item replaced . a track roller . it just runs and runs . its quiet and powerful , well balanced . undercarriage holding up well working in clay , rock and sandstone .
I have a 2006 Series 2 with 1700 hours on it. So far so good. I bought it from the dealer's rental fleet and they gave me a 2 yr warranty. I just had some oil leaks (minor) taken care of around the final drive covers. Glad it was warranty because dealer said the book called for 30 hours labor to replace some seals and orings. My partner who is an excellent loader operator and has many hours on both the 953 and the 655 prefers the 655. He says it is more powerful. The steering pedals take some getting used to. But other than that I like the machine. If you think you will own it for atleast 7 years or so I think that will ease any pain when you go to sell it. If you think you will trade out of it in short amount of time be more careful what you pay for it. As for towing it. I have towed it on a 2 axle 20 ton tag trailer. I just bought a new 3 axle 25 ton tag trailer and it tows it better. I buddy told me that he had a state trooper come to his shop and he put a 953 and the trailer and if everything was in the right place it was legal on a 2 axle trailer. There was no position where the a 160 size hoe was legal. I haul a 160 so that is part of the reason for the new trailer.
Thanks Jim, The information you sent is a great help to me! If you have anything else you might want to add ? please forward. This is not a minor purchase so I want all the info I can get. Thanks Again