Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 672CH fan hub

Ruahines · 2022-10-30 01:57

We have had our JD running well for a couple of years now after my last posting here but all good things must come to an end. Two days ago I was moving it to another area on the access track and got a sniff of what seemed to be an electrics cooking. I went around the back of the machine and something didn't seem correct but I couldn't work out what. After opening the engine bay door and then the fan bay door it was obvious what had happened as the fan wasn't turning. The smell was the belt slipping on the drive hub. The drive hub had collapsed so I pulled it all out and am now waiting on parts. As we are now in the Pilbara and 250kms to Port Hedland I will be waiting a while. My question is what torque the "Adjuster nut" should be when I re-assemble the hub. Preload like an automotive diff pinion or something more robust? Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance Ruahines

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612022-10-30 05:51

    Post a picture of the hub in question. Serial number of the machine would be a good thing too.

  2. #2Ruahines2022-10-30 19:10

    The Pilbara heat must be getting to me as I thought I had added the serial #. attached is the pic from the West Ozzie JD agent. parts in question are highlighted in yellow. adjuster nut is # 29 Serial # is DW672CH595108 Thanks Ruahines

  3. #3mg23612022-10-31 04:50

    That nut is torqued to 312 Nm (230 ft-lb).

  4. #4Ruahines2022-11-03 03:31

    MAny thanks for that. I will have to fabricate a tool to do the nut up. Now we wait for the parts to arrive n Port Hedland 225 kms away! Ruahines

  5. #5Ruahines2022-12-31 06:36

    Parts arrived, tool fabricated, everything assembled and the beast has been working hard in very hot weather. We have finished in The Pilbara for this year as it is now too bloody hot and the wet part of the year is here. We moved back to the Northern Goldfields where it only gets to 42 celcius on a hot day! Lets hope that 2023 is a better year than 2022 and may all you helpful people prosper. Ruahines