Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 690B… thoughts & opinions

TD-5 ยท 2009-02-28 20:41

I'm looking at picking up an older excavator to do some clean up work around the ranch.I've found a 1977 690B, well used, tired machine, but its complete and every thing works Any comments or opinions on these old JD excavators much aprreciated

Replies17
  1. #1JDecker2009-02-28 21:03

    Other than the cab being on the wrong side the are not a bad machine for what they are can do a lot of work with one the track can be hard to keep on and are a pain to clean out. but for what it sounds like you are doing it would be fine

  2. #2td25c2009-02-28 21:05

    690B is a good excavator.How well used,tired is the machine?The one big expence on a excavator or crane is the swing bering.If it's shakey,I would keep looking.It's not hard to replace,cost could run 6,ooo to 10,000 dollars for the bering.

  3. #3TD-52009-03-01 20:38

    thanks for feed back, JD, Was there a problem with the track tensioner system on these that caused problems or something else, I notice they dont use upper rollers, but a slide/guide arrangement. 25c, I'll be sure to take my dial gauge with me when I go to look it over. I haven't seen the machine in person yet, just some pictures & a discription of its condition over the phone.I'm trying to educate my self on this old model as much as possible before hand.

  4. #4JDecker2009-03-02 19:52

    I am sure the uc was not perfect and it had wide pads on it so they would slip off sometimes but we got good a putting them on. we put a new pump on it and that thing would really dig for it's age. good luck.

  5. #530 dirty years2009-03-03 02:40

    Those were some good machines BITD but I hated the wide pads ,the machine would not steer without lifting the tracks off the ground and tracks will run off the front idler alot , also didn't like the newer pilot controlls as well.

  6. #6TD-52009-03-24 22:42

    Just an up date, Unfortunately the old B is just to far gone for the money they are asking, The boom cylinders are junk, someone welded the gland heads into the cylinder bodys on both, plus one cylinder has a poorly welded patch near the botton of the cylinder, they both leak badly & can't be rebuilt, so they would need replaced, the other biggy is the pins bushings & rails are worn well past destruction to the point where I think I'd spend more time trying to keep the tracks on than working the machine. It would need some undercarriage to make it half ways dependable. There were some other smaller problems, one tensioner would not hold grease, some leaks around swing motor, hours unknown... etc. On the plus side, new injector pump, rebuilt alternator, updated main pump at some point, steered ok, 2 speed travel worked, flow divider worked, all functions appeared to work ok. Thanks for the replys.

  7. #7qkoop2009-03-24 23:04

    There was one of those for sale on craigslist in port kells,surrey.It looked fairlly clean in the picture.I think they wanted 15000 for it,if i remember correctly.

  8. #8ddigger2009-03-24 23:53

    I wouldnt sweat it, in todays market there is no shortage of good used hoes, in a much newer vintage.

  9. #9TD-52009-03-25 00:34

    So true, I watched Ritchie bros auction on line from Olympia Washington last week, there was something like 105 excavators on the block, at least a dozen or so went for between $6000usd & $15000usd. A lot newer than the old 690B too. Hard to say what kinda hurtin they had seen though, without being there.

  10. #10bigkylewhite2009-05-18 10:49

    New guy here. New to excavators. I just picked up a 690b at an auction for a reasonable price. My right side track motor is leaking hydraulic fluid where the motor flange mates up to the final drive. It only leaks when I've engaged that motor to drive the unit. I've looked at the JD website for a scematic and it looks like the motor is sealed at the output shaft and no fluid should get past the shaft and to the flange. I haven't gotten it home yet to take it apart. Just looking for some suggestions. Sorry to highjack this post. I'm new to the forum and don't have permission to start a new thread yet.

  11. #11finaldrive2009-05-18 12:06

    You are correct, no hydraulic oil should be getting past the motor shaft seal. Getting the motor off is not difficult. You'll want to remove it and disassemble it to see what it looks like inside. Could be just the life of the seal was up, could be something serious. There are a ton of great hydraulic shops in Washington that I could recommend taking it to, if you don't want to do the inspection/reseal yourself.

  12. #12bigkylewhite2009-05-18 21:11

    I would appreciate the names of a few hydraulic shops. I'm new excavators. In the past, I've either hired out the work or rented a machine. Then, when their machine broke, I didn't have to deal with it. Time to educate myself.

  13. #13finaldrive2009-05-18 22:35

    Biggest and best in your area is HRD, 800-323-8416 Pretty much every hydraulic shop in WA has guys that started their career at HRD.

  14. #14bigkylewhite2009-05-19 00:50

    Thanks for the info. I've probably driven by that place 100 times and never really paid much attention. I'll check them out.

  15. #15mei85552009-06-14 14:30

    once had a 1976 690b. purchased used was a good machine no engine problems. burned up the pumps working in heavy rock

  16. #16B.U.S.I.2009-06-20 00:45

    I have fond memories of the 690b - it was the excavator that I first learned on. I have seen a few working in scrap yards in around here. I think if it runs okay and high production isn't your goal, it will be a fine machine.

  17. #17flekr2011-08-29 08:01

    i have the same machine ...having an issue with turning as well. also a hydraulic issue. she's old but she really digs....lol