Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 690d Hydralic problem

Brian D · 2019-02-19 21:57

I recently bought a 690d with 7800 hrs at auction. All functions on machine seemed to operate fine. When truck driver was loading machine hydraulics functions all stopped as if pilot valve was disengage. They pulled pinion shafts out and finished loading. I'm trying to trouble shoot. Hydralic oil leval is in normal range. Pilot valve lever linkage is free and operational. I tested pilot pressure, 650psi at half throttle. I then tested pilot pressure at main valve body for up and down stick function, about 400psi. Main pump doesn't seem to build any pressure. I do no that main pump and pilot pump have been replaced at some point. I'm currently waiting on the Deere repair and test manuals. Is there any other things to check that can be easily overlooked? Thanks

Replies22
  1. #1mg23612019-02-20 05:06

    Since you have pilot pressure I would think the pump drive coupler is not the issue. However you still can't rule it out. I've seen pump coupler's drive enough to give you pilot pressure but slip enough to keep the main hydraulic pump from developing pressure. Pilot pressure you mentioned should be enough to fully or nearly full stroke the spool. Behind the control valve there are 3 test ports. One for pump pressure (labeled P) and two labeled LS for load sense to the two pumps. The procedure to do this correctly is complicated so you will need the manuals. I would be curious to see what you have at the LS ports when you try to lift your boom.

  2. #2Brian D2019-02-27 17:14

    I got my manuals this week. I rechecked pilot pressure with a different gauge, I checked before pilot shut off valve. 550psi. I also rechecked several pilot lines going into main control valve about 350psi. I then checked load sense test port on the back of the valve body. No pressure. Any thoughts or any others places to check. Manual doesn't specify anything in between unless I'm missing something.

  3. #3TVA2019-02-27 17:30

    Do you have any pressure at main pumps discharge? Could be sabotage, to buy the machine for cheaper price someone backed minimum displacement screws out. The 690D is non Hitachi control if I’m not mistaken. It’s been years, what you have in there, K3V 112s? If it is, there should be two 1/4 bspp test ports on the bottom right in the middle of two sections. Connect your gauges there, start the engine and try to slowly screw minimum displacement screws in until you see 400 psi. Each pump separately.

  4. #4Brian D2019-02-27 22:58

    Not sure of pump number I will look tomorrow. Are the test ports you are referring to on the regulator valve body on top of the main pump? There is also test ports on the back of main control body. One for load sense (LS) and one for pump pressure (P). I have not checked P port. LS has no pressure. I can find anything in the manual about minimum displacement. The control valve body has a regulator valve for each pump and a load sensing valve for each. Manual doesn't seem to have test for no hydralic functions. It does give suggestions, one improper load sense valve.

  5. #5TVA2019-02-27 23:10

    Let’s start with picture of the pump, or finding name plate of it. Does the each regulator has its own small hose going to MCV ( main control valve )? Is this your pump? http://global.kawasaki.com/en/industrial_equipment/hydraulic/pumps/k3v.html

  6. #6Brian D2019-02-27 23:19

    I will post pic tomorrow. Regulator has 2 small hoses they both go to Flow control valve that has electric solenoid. A line goes to the MCV from there.

  7. #7TVA2019-02-27 23:35

    That’s sounds like PRV and it supposed to be connected to pilot circuit.

  8. #8TVA2019-02-28 00:22

    If it’s a Linde pump - then I’m not your guy. Some of them did have Kawasaki pumps.

  9. #9TVA2019-02-28 01:24

    So this is the first time I’m looking in to this Linde pump: you not supposed to have an load sense pressure until you start to move spools inside of MCV ( posicon flow control). As most of these systems you got to have stand by pressure, or like manual says “pump discharge” pressure to even start the whole thing! Following the suggestion made by mg2361 about stripped splines - see if your pilot pressure drops when you try to use any function. If it does it means your drive is stripped out and you getting pilot flow by friction drive only. If it was freezing and oil had some water in it, it could have happened when someone else was checking machine at the auction. If pilot pressure is not dropping, see where you can plumb in between pumps and MCV into discharge lines, and check if you get anything there. I’m too tired to read new to me stuff tonight!

  10. #10mg23612019-02-28 05:05

    If pilot pressure does not drop when using a function, then check pressure at the "P" port with levers in neutral and also stroked. Serial number of the machine would also help.

  11. #11TVA2019-02-28 06:51

    Check the page 9025-25-24 ( or 506 ) HYDRAULIC PUMP LOAD SENSING VALVE DIFFERENTIAL PRESSURE TEST AND ADJUSTMENT. Might be your culprit.

  12. #12Brian D2019-02-28 08:22

    pic of pump regulated valve on topyop. Pilot pump in front

  13. #13Brian D2019-02-28 08:27

    ID tag on main pump. Also this morning I checked to see if I had any pressure at the P test port on back of control valve, nothing. Also mentioned before this that valves could have been tampered with. I couldn't see any visual signs of any dirt or grease being cleaned off or anything.

  14. #14TVA2019-02-28 08:27

    O, yeah! That’s a Linde pump. Well you got your suggestions!

  15. #15Brian D2019-02-28 08:29
  16. #16TVA2019-02-28 08:35

    Did you have pilot pressure this morning?

  17. #17TVA2019-02-28 08:44

    And from esthetic point of view - that thing is ugly looking by design!!! IMHO! The pump is reman., let’s hope that coupling didn’t get changed with the pump and finally gave up the ghost, and nothing more serious is wrong with it!

  18. #18Brian D2019-02-28 10:21

    TVA from your point about load sensing valve I'm not getting any pressure in load sensing lines so how do I check them? Manual gives test procedure with using funtions. Also on the coupler idea, do you know if there is any way to check with out pulling pump off. There is a small inspection hole, all I can seem to see is the flywheel.

  19. #19TVA2019-02-28 10:51

    You not gonna see LS pressure because it is built by discharge flow. You not gonna see LS pressure in neutral position ( all levers in neutral) even if you have discharge pressure because it is blocked by spools inside MCV. The only thing you gonna see through sight window is that coupler components is there, not gonna see the condition of them. Not having stand by pressure at the port P shows one of two things: either pumps destroyed, or regulator miss adjusted and runs minimum displacement to a zero. As far as I see there’s springs inside regulator which move the swash plate to upstroke, but those springs get pushed back hydraulically. Hook your gauge to P port and try to turn those screws and see if you gonna see the pressure in the P line. Mark the screws so you can put it back if needed.

  20. #20TVA2019-02-28 11:12

    All of it maybe confusing, let’s do “one pants leg at a time: come to the machine, connect one gauge to pilot another to P, start the engine and tell us what pressures you see.

  21. #21TVA2019-02-28 14:48

    Your pump is Linde HPR100. But there’s more then one generation and different options when it comes to controls.

  22. #22Brian D2019-03-07 18:20

    Somehow missed the second page, got busy and cold out. Talked with a local mechanic, he suggested a few things one thing was to open the case drain line one the bottom of the pump. I found brass fillings and small pieces, at this point I'm assuming the pump is shot. First any recommendations of a pump rebuilder or where I could get an exchange. Second after getting remain pump back what needs to be down to clean out contaiminated oil?