Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 700J 12V converter problems

farmerlund · 2019-06-24 19:22

Hey guys, I have a 700J ser# JXE0194212. The converter that makes 12v for the cab quite again I think. My question is the AC quite also. So does the AC need 12V some how to turn on? Fan blows and condenser fans on rear of cab work but it blows warm air. The AC has always worked very good. I am pretty sure the converter failed again, my radio doesn't have any power and when I test the wiring it has 24v going in and nothing coming out. I replaced it 2 years ago I am suprised it quit again. Dang thing is $500 from Deere. Anyone have a source for a aftermarket one? PN is AT404819. I would like one that plugs right in with out having to mess with the wiring. Thanks

Replies10
  1. #1Theweldor2019-06-24 22:12

    I have had pretty good luck with inverters from the people that install business band radios. Have put several in 24 volt cranes to get power to run 12 volt systems and have been in thier for several years without a problem. Probably will not be plug and play the first time out as you will have to wire it up to your system, but they have been very durable and a lot less $$$.

  2. #2TNB2019-06-25 13:59

    Yes the heater valve is 12 volt as well..without 12 volts it’s open I believe..

  3. #3farmerlund2019-06-25 19:02

    So it appears that I am not getting something to the converter. my plug has 6 wires. Only thing I have is 24v that turns on and off with key. Nothing else. Tried new converter and still the same problem.

  4. #4TNB2019-06-25 19:57

    Are you measuring 24 volts back probing the power and ground at converter connector with everything plugged in and powered up?

  5. #5farmerlund2019-06-25 21:06

    Yep. if I slide the probe in from the wire side of the plug while its plugged in all I get is the one keyed 24v.

  6. #6TNB2019-06-26 06:52

    If I remember the other red is unswitched. Jumper your 24 to the other red via back probe and see how that works. I believe that gets its power from the unswitched side of the fuse block.

  7. #7mg23612019-06-30 06:19

    Converter terminal 1 should be unswitched 24 V (from F4 5A radio fuse) and terminal 2 should be switched 24 V from F12 10A radio/dome fuse). Back probe ground terminal 3 to make sure you have less that 0.100 V for a good ground.

  8. #8farmerlund2019-06-30 21:31

    Yep finally found the right fuse panel. Dead fuse. Should be good to go again. Thanks for the help.

  9. #9farmerlund2019-07-02 15:20

    Also the you are correct TNB, the heater is in the full hot position without the 12v. Nice and cool again.

  10. #10Slow but Steady2025-02-13 17:45

    Hi! Just an update for this question: I have a direct plug-in for part # AT404819 as an aftermarket option. It is listed on Ebay for $442.22 and Deere now wants $700+. It is manufactured by Eaton.