So I'm looking at an old JD 750B that, until recently, hadn't been moved or cranked in probably 18+ years. I think all the drive oil leaked out since it was last parked where it sits. Corrosion left pinholes in a 1/2" metal hydraulic line at the very bottom of the system between the two drive pumps and the fluid leaked out. I found this out after i filled it up with fluid and noticed a steady dripping leak. I replaced the metal line with a hydraulic hose line. I filled it up with fluid and bumped the engine over several times to try and get out most of the air from the system and I'm letting it sit up a while to see if the oil gets where it needs to be before running it long. Here's my main question........ They guy selling it tells me a "Scrapper" will give him $6,500 for it (but i can have it for $6,000). Scrap is around $0.07/pound, last I checked. Have any of you ever heard of a scrap metal collector giving such a premium price (over $0.20/pound) for unprepared metal??? Keep in mind this Scrapper has to come get the machine. After I expressed serious doubt to the seller about a Scrapper giving $6,500 for it, the seller later explained that the Scrapper uses a Crain to lift the equipment onto a Lowboy. I think the seller senses a weakness for yellow iron in me and he's trying to use that to his advantage. I'm no stranger to buying projects like these, but I've never heard of a Scrapper giving so much for unprepared metal.
Why would he sell it to you for $500 less than what this unknown scrapper (imaginary IMHO!) would give him? When I’m selling anything I don’t take less than another offer.
No, I doubt a scrapper would pay anywhere near that, nor should you. As far as I see, with covid craziness the last couple years, toys have gone crazy in price, that trickles down to nice usable tractors, backhoes, skidsteers etc. Not so much into medium dozers, and especially not into projects or parts machines, those are work, and nobody wants to work. I was offered a handy tractor by a scrapper for $.15/lb, it's not that bad, but UGLY. I can't think a much heavier and less useful dozer would be worth $.20.
Scrapper here will not give more than 1/2 tonnage value for a Intact machine knowing will have to break it down and deal with the oils. A 750 will only arrive at his door worth $2500. Chartrand Tractor SALVAGE that parts machines like that out could pay seriously more but not a great deal more.