Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 850 C Water Pump

jlittle2212 ยท 2015-01-03 20:18

Installed new water pump, lubed the seals before install, used four prong tooling, water still coming out of weep hole. Thought it was a faulty pump. Tore back down, got another water pump, same problem. Is there anything else that would cause water to come out of the weep hole besides pump failure? Seals are not cut or damaged. There is no water in the oil.

Replies51
  1. #1Dickjr.2015-01-03 21:18

    I've never worked on an 850C , but have changed several water pumps from an Oliver tractor to Case 850 Dozer, and a few between. I can't think of a thing that would cause it to leak out the weep hole other than a bad seal or faulty seals. This day and time its hard to get good parts , it could be possible that you got 2 bad pumps , maybe. I know that's a pain to go thru all that and have the same results. Hopefully others will chime in.

  2. #2jlittle22122015-01-03 22:17

    Thanks for the input. It is very hard to get good parts. I didn't notice if it was a JD part or aftermarket, however.

  3. #3rmllarue912015-01-03 22:21

    Jlittle how much was it weeping some seepage from time to time can be expected in certain cases.

  4. #4jlittle22122015-01-03 22:45

    No seepage at all. You don't even have to start the machine, just pour the water in and it will start leaking. It just acts like the first seal isn't seating. I pulled it back out and checked the seals, no cuts or bad spots. Snap ring in tack and doing its job as well!

  5. #5Delmer2015-01-03 22:50

    Did you run it? I think I've seen somewhere that it's not unusual for water pumps to leak until they've run a little. maybe even built some pressure?

  6. #6jlittle22122015-01-03 22:55

    Ran for almost an hour. I didn't want to run it to much with it leaking coolant that bad.

  7. #7rmllarue912015-01-03 23:07

    http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/T158/T158422________UN13AUG02.gif this should be a link to break down

  8. #8jlittle22122015-01-03 23:12

    This is the style I am working with rmllarue

  9. #9rmllarue912015-01-03 23:18

    If it runs out as you pour it in you should beable to see were seal is compromised could the coolant leak possibly leaking up above coolant when thin can be hard to see its common to see a drop hanging from a hose and think it's that connection when the coolant leak could be at other end or up above

  10. #10jlittle22122015-01-03 23:21

    I took the a/c compressor down to make sure I could really see it. Its leaking from the weep hole. I think maybe the #9 has failed on the pump. There's really nothing else I see that could cause it. It has to be coming through the pump and leaking out.

  11. #11rmllarue912015-01-03 23:22

    Could it be missing number 14 pipe plug by chance unlikely but just checking

  12. #12jlittle22122015-01-03 23:26

    No, its there. The weep hole comes out like near the #11 towards the block more on the pump housing. They make a pump repair kit. But, I am not sure I have the pullers/tooling to rebuild it.

  13. #13rmllarue912015-01-03 23:31

    Can you lay pump on its back and put some water in it to see where it leaks If it's the pump take to parts department and say ***

  14. #14ANDREW C2015-01-03 23:43

    Ive had them leak before like that from the weep hole, did you check your timing cover for erosion caused by cavitation?

  15. #15jlittle22122015-01-04 09:57

    Yes. it is a brand new aftermarket cover.

  16. #16Shimmy12015-01-04 11:34

    This is probably a ridiculous question, and I can't believe I'm going to ask it, but do you know if you or anybody has turned either pump at all from when you picked it up until you put water in? Dry seals will damage easily. Next question, not sure what engine that tractor has, but I would bet that they don't sell many of those pumps? Maybe they been on the shelf for some time which would make the seal even more delicate? Just some thoughts.

  17. #17jlittle22122015-01-04 11:51

    Everything was boxed up when I received them Shim. It is the Series 2 tractor. Can't these pumps be rebuilt?

  18. #18ANDREW C2015-01-04 12:02

    Just to confirm you changed item 4 on this picture

  19. #19Shimmy12015-01-04 12:03

    I suppose, I've just always put on one from the dealer. I think it would be a PITA to try to rebuild one. I would try the dealer one more time, tell them to order one this time, they should be anyway since you've burned through two of their stock already. I'd be hard pressed to believe they would have another on hand, unless this pump is very common, or has been problematic in the past.

  20. #20jlittle22122015-01-04 12:07

    You are correct. Can anyone put some emphasis on #13?? I don't recall having that.

  21. #21jlittle22122015-01-04 12:10

    And the four prong tooling to install pump, I have been studying on that. Couldn't that tool damage the internal seal?

  22. #22ANDREW C2015-01-04 12:17

    Item 13 a small cotton filter that sits in the weep hole. The table top tool shouldnt damage the seal if it is the one that came with the new water pump. It is bigger than the seal. The service manual doesnt cover rebuilding those pumps rather just replace them. Ive rebuilt these engines and never bothered rebuilding them. I just change the two outside orings and put the old pump in. Why did you originally change the timing cover?

  23. #23jlittle22122015-01-04 12:18

    Snap ring groove was wore out. Pump wasn't snapping in.

  24. #24ANDREW C2015-01-04 12:33

    Got it. Theres only so much it can be. Your new pump could have bad shaft seals, your first body seals could not be sealing against your new timing cover causing it leak straight into the weephole either by machining tolerance or wrong timing cover or pump (it could be from a 9 liter)

  25. #25jlittle22122015-01-04 13:09

    That is exactly what I said. Does the 9 liter pump look the same to the eye? The pump appears to be the same as the old one that was taken out. It was doing the same thing with the old cover as well. That's another reason it was changed. The owner of the machine insisted to plug the weep hole. I don't think that's a good idea.

  26. #26ANDREW C2015-01-04 13:35

    It looks similar. Whats your machine and engine serial numbers?

  27. #27jlittle22122015-01-04 14:08

    I don't have those with me Andrew. I was just aware of the one with the pulley and then this one. All I have is 850 C Series 2.

  28. #28ANDREW C2015-01-04 14:16

    Theres a couple s/n breaks thats why I asked. What p/n of pump did you get?

  29. #29jlittle22122015-01-04 14:25

    re57154

  30. #30Shimmy12015-01-04 14:25

    :umno Now that is just dumbass-edness at it's finest! :crazy

  31. #31jlittle22122015-01-04 14:32

    You are exactly right!

  32. #32ANDREW C2015-01-04 14:48

    There is a serial number break for that. What was the number you were sold, thats a casting number? Also find your serial numbers to make sure your getting the right part

  33. #33jlittle22122015-01-04 14:51

    re57154 How are you finding the serial # breaks? Can that be found online? The only other pumps I can find on the JD site are setup differently.

  34. #34ANDREW C2015-01-04 14:59

    That is the early s/n break. -135212 (ESN) It shows s/n breaks on jdpc too. Id still want to see your s/n for the engine and machine.

  35. #35jlittle22122015-01-04 15:09

    I will get it tomorrow. I think they just called JD and told them water pump for 850C II. That's usually what he does. It should have been up to them to ask for his serial number. I am not sure the parts personnel can detect serial # breaks. What is the part # for the similar pump Andrew?

  36. #36ANDREW C2015-01-04 19:55

    RE521502 also but it may sub but doesnt show if it does.

  37. #37jlittle22122015-01-04 20:01

    I don't see where it subs. Nice find! I will find out in the a.m. I will go to the dealer. Where is the engine serial number located?

  38. #38jlittle22122015-01-04 20:14

    It is pulling it up for the 850 J. Not the C Nevermind, found it.. lol

  39. #39ANDREW C2015-01-04 20:18

    Shows on jdpc for 850c for me not j?

  40. #40jlittle22122015-01-04 20:41

    I found it. It is not listed for the series II though. I will figure it out tomorrow. HAS to be the wrong pump or faulty pump.

  41. #41ANDREW C2015-01-04 21:05

    Or wrong timing cover.

  42. #42jlittle22122015-01-04 21:11

    Very true. Where do I locate the engine serial #? Thanks for all your input btw!!!

  43. #43ANDREW C2015-01-04 22:06

    The engine serial number plate is located either on the right-hand side of engine between the oil filter base and fuel injection pump (viewed from flywheel end) or on the left-hand side of the engine directly above the starter motor.

  44. #44jlittle22122015-01-04 22:24

    Thanks again Andrew. I will give updates. :spongebob

  45. #45DIRTHAWK2015-01-05 07:14

    Put a water pump on my 850c this spring. Still heated up, came to find out metal shavings from the pump got in my radiator and plugged it all up. So out came the radiator.

  46. #46Cam852015-01-05 08:26

    I would b inclined to buy a full new water pump a genuine one not kit the old one top up run and pressure test. if I caught someone pluging a telltale hole on my eng I would plug there backside.with something big

  47. #47Delmer2015-01-05 10:11

    Hey Cam. If you're gonna plug the weep hole, use a grease fitting, then you can lube the water pump and the cooling system at the same time. That's the way I always do it.

  48. #48jlittle22122015-01-05 20:17

    I took water pump out, lubed up the fit and the pump again, put it and no leaks! All I can figure is the outside o-ring was twisting on install.

  49. #49Dickjr.2015-01-05 20:58

    Sweet , sometime the littlest things will drive you nuts. I've been there.

  50. #50ANDREW C2015-01-05 21:25

    Awesome to hear!

  51. #51jlittle22122015-01-05 22:39

    Thanks for all your input and help Andrew!! :salute