Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 872 ate my phone

Equipmentaddict ยท 2013-12-12 21:30

So apparently a small oversight on somebody's part, there is a slot beside the seat about an inch big. Somehow the phone crawled into it!! Could barely see it, then landed up pushing it out of site trying to get out Don't really have $600 to kick out for another phone and so far all we can figure out is to pull the seat, which doesn't seem like a good idea.... Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you

Replies21
  1. #1ANDREW C2013-12-12 23:29

    Should be able to slide the seat forward and see two bolts in the back of the seat rail, take them out and side it back and take the ones out at the front and the seat should slide forward and out of the rails. I think that's how its done, have a look and see if that makes sense.

  2. #2ValleyFirewood2013-12-13 00:03

    I just have to know what the heck phone costs $600!? For that price it better run the grader, massage your feet, serve beer and sandwiches and talk sexy! I know the feeling though, not long ago I went in the porta john and I had a hoodie on with those big pockets in the front. I went to pull it off (was hot in the porta john from the sun cooking on it) and BLOOPP! My first thought is ah crap, I think I had my phone in there. I got lucky, was just a lighter and $5 pocket knife which I had borrowed from one of the guys working for me. Being the nice guy I am, I let him know how to get those items back and even offered some rubber gloves :tong

  3. #3mitch5042013-12-13 00:07

    Why? I would pull a seat out of any machine for a fraction of this. Even if AndrewC is wrong, it shouldn't be more than a few bolts.

  4. #4caterpillarmech2013-12-13 05:58

    I'm with you. I have done more for a cheaper tool before. I about cried when I dropped a stubby ratchet in a dozer transmission once. 10pm after working all day, 2 hours from home, pissed that as a young father I am working my butt off to provide for a family that I never get to see. Nothing like leaving in the morning with a sleeping family and returning at night to a sleeping family and get up and go again.

  5. #5Equipmentaddict2013-12-13 10:37

    After rereading post, realized I should have worded it differently. It is our son who is having the great adventure. Great thinking, however all the electrical for joysticks/controls run though the seat. Scarred to stretch or break connections. If it was ours, would do it in a heartbeat, but its snowing like crazy and one of the main graders. Can't afford to screw something up on it! Would be out of a job then I was hoping for an inspection plate from the bottom or hiding under floor mat... ValleyFirewood- That was very kind of you I have dropped a phone in flush toilet, did rescue it *** Its an iPhone, in Saskatchewan its part of how our cell contract works. Get a phone for discount price, sign up for 2 yrs, price of phone goes down each month. Only had this one for 2 months! You are exactly right that it should do more than make phone calls! Caterpillarmech- Yep, been there, done that I hope things come around so you can see your family more..

  6. #6caterpillarmech2013-12-14 08:47

    I tried googleing the seat and found nothing. Is there anyway to get to it from the bottom. I know our new 140's have the heater and a/c guts under the seat. Have you tried a magnet or a pick up claw? Maybe pull cabin air filter and see if you can reach it. I dropped my 1 month old iphone in the toilet too. Thanks goodness nothing bad was on it. Still bought some disinfecting wipes at the next town I go to. That was a long time ago. Even still in the field truck I have been able to coach the last two seasons of my sons baseball team. Life is good. Enjoy your kids as long as you can.

  7. #7Equipmentaddict2013-12-14 13:32

    Caterpillarmech, I will double check to see if they pulled the cabin filters, great idea. Yah, the JD has EVERYTHING under seat, and its still under warranty, so NO touchy!! :Banghead Our son said no way to get at in from bottom either Wow, coaching is an awesome opportunity! Good for you to take that on! We did a lot more fun stuff when our kids were still home, very thank full for that

  8. #8Diagonal Brace2013-12-14 13:57

    I've had the same on our G model. Was able to reach it by using a stick with 3M brand two way tape on the end. Worst problem was locating the phone. Good luck

  9. #9ANDREW C2013-12-14 16:29

    Im going down to one Monday, Ill have a second look. I don't think you will get it out of the air filter ducts but its worth a try. Im assuming its a 872GP.

  10. #10Equipmentaddict2013-12-14 21:12

    Awesome that you were able to get it!! How did you ever get to see it to begin with?

  11. #11Equipmentaddict2013-12-14 21:16

    Yes its a 2013 872 GP. They did pull the cabin filters, no luck. Best they have found is tearing down the back of cab, and that's not going to happen at this time of year. Sounds like it got pushed over the hoses that are under the seat... Thank you for your input!

  12. #12Tinkerer2013-12-15 15:19

    Don't use a magnet !! They do bad things to electronics. Maybe a small flexible hose taped into a shop vacuum's larger hose.

  13. #13kb9tci2013-12-15 17:13

    Tinkerer, You are right about the magnets, for older devices and computers that had a magnetic drive or a CRT monitor. Newer electronic devices use solid state drives and LED/LCD desplays that are not affected by magnetism. Some smartphones and tablets even use magnet proximity sensors for special features such as a screen lock for a cover or a car dock mode activation. I'd say the worst thing that would happen is accidentally calling someone: )

  14. #14chroniekon2013-12-15 17:39

    This type of thing could be handy. Maybe a rental place would have one. www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Hardware-Power-Tools-Inspection-Cameras/N-5yc1vZc2gm

  15. #15Diagonal Brace2013-12-15 19:17

    Could see it light up when we called it. I think the inspection camera fits the bill.

  16. #16Equipmentaddict2013-12-15 23:44

    What a great idea! thank you

  17. #17chroniekon2013-12-16 11:22

    Your thread has got me wanting one of these for my tool box. In looking around a bit more, you can get one for under $40 that plugs into a laptop usb port. Be sure to let us know how you end up getting your problem solved.

  18. #18ANDREW C2013-12-16 22:29

    I had a look today and without taking apart the cab I think your in for an adventure. Those cameras are pretty awesome but you get what you pay for. http://store.snapon.com/Video-Scopes-Borescope-Recording-Video-Still-P749763.aspx

  19. #19Equipmentaddict2013-12-17 00:30

    Chroniekon - thanks for your input, didn't realize a person could skip the " feed back" part. Could be helpful in the future. AndrewC- Thank you very much for taking the time to take a gander!! Kinda what our son is telling us... still thing the camera thing could help, when they have time.... Or bite the bullet and just buy another phone will likely be what happens... Will keep you posted:beatsme

  20. #20Equipmentaddict2014-05-22 23:19

    Sorry, forgot to update on the phone adventure. So , they put the grader on steepest ditch they could find, and took an air hammer to the bottom plates hoping to jar the phone loose. No luck :crying Son broke down and kicked out $600 for another phone. Thank you everyone for your input and ideas.

  21. #21icestationzebra2014-05-22 23:36

    reminds me of when i was 17, jumped on a small open platform tractor and moved it. not long after i realized i couldn't find my wallet. looked that tractor over at least 6 times but couldn't find it. wouldn't you know it but i found it after i got a new license, etc. turns out it wedged between two hoses and was well hidden. ISZ