Just stumbled onto the latest Deere review that contains quite a bit of "brand Biased" information about the new G Model. Click on this link, then open the February 2009 Construction Equipment Review Magazine. I tried to attach the file but it's too big. Good reading that should spark discussion. :drinkup http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/info_center/index.html
WOW! Thats an impressive article if you believe everything you read.
You notice I said "brand biased" information.
That is interesting I cant wait to see the discussion on this one. Most folks on here will not want to hear this but Deere is the only one to Cut into cats market lead, If you read what a lot of people say on this board I think they wished cat would have made some improvments on the H series, Like trans, cab and cab noise, and just basic refinements and left the conrol's alone. I know everyone doesnt feel that way but it would be interesting to see if they still offered both controls how many Joystick units they would sell. Some people would still run the cat if hit had Drumsticks for control levers and I guess that is understandable considering they used to make by far the best graders in the industry. I have allways been impressed with the G models myself mainly the 140G's I have seen those things with 17-19,000 hours and have original starters and alternators on them. Nobody makes them like that any more.
I agree G Model. I noticed some changes on the Deere G that makes you wonder why they didn't do that a long time ago. The reversing cooling fan for example. Swing open cooling fan housing for cleaning. Slide out condenser for cleaning. All filters easily accessible. I was glad to see they didn't go the CAT route and put in a smaller displacement engine. They actually increased the size. Our D Model is an 8.1L and it sounds like the G Model uses a 9.0L. Our 770D Model is advertised at 215 HP and SAE weight at 32,600. The 770G is advertised at 230 HP and SAE weight at 34,700. Those are good numbers too. I still don't quite understand the high backbone. Although they claim it gives it a higher blade lift. Certainly didn't do that for the CAT M. I looked hard to find the fuel tank but couldn't certainly nail it down. In the picture that shows the cooling fan opened, at the lower left corner of the radiator housing, it appears there is a small access door. Also it appears there is a hose or tube that goes down and toward the center of the machine from that door. They advertise ground level fueling. Is that the fuel cap and filler?? If so the tank must be under the radiator, behind the final drive?? Hopefully it's not an exposed plastic tank like the M.
G Grader Preview Here's a picture of a prototype 772G I caught this summer. It had the new controls. The operator gave it very high marks. He'd never run an M
Another G Here's a G working in the middle of I-44 this fall. Not sure what model, took this with a cell phone in heavy traffic
I like the look of it for sure. I think the frame design resembles a Cat. I'm impressed
Richard I do think the fuel tank is underneath the radiator but is protected well by a bottom and side guards I think they are going to make standard equipment.
Yeah, I looked at the pics again, plus the ones that've been added, I see no where else for it to be. That's a good location if it's protected and doesn't limit undercarriage clearance. Puts the weight where it's needed, low and rearward.
Darn !!! I wish I could try one out.....With all the issues we're having with the 14Ms, I would gladly settle for a smaller machine that would be more reliable...
Why not try a Volvo.....they make very nice and reliable graders!!!!!!:cool2
I don't care much for Volvo, and it's near impossible to get decent service in our area....But there is a J.D dealer right across the street.
I don't know enough about Volvo machines to have an opinion of them. But I'd love to run one and see. We also don't have dealer/service access around us. Actually, not sure where the closest dealer would be. Maybe I should investigate that!!! Maybe I could talk them into a demo for a while!!!
Not many Volvo Graders around here, a few wheel loaders and off road trucks is all.
Volvo lost major points with us this last winter durring the heavy snows. The (fairly new) machine went down with pump problems and was gone to the dealer for almost 5 weeks. The opperator loves the machine,but 5 weeks down durring snow season didn't cut it.