Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD Tractor 2950 6359 cu timing help

tony1224 · 2021-04-12 01:50

I just rebuild the engine on a John Deere tractor 2950 and I need help on setting the timing . the camshaft gear has a mark to set the timing. The injection pump don't have any mark in the gear the only thing , I see is 14, 19 , 13. The injection pump is the is the Roto Diesel that have letter from A to H . the letter H is for setting the timing on a 6 cylinder engine . Please help 2950

Replies24
  1. #1mg23612021-04-12 05:06

    Please post a picture of the gears.

  2. #2mg23612021-04-12 11:52

    I believe what you are seeing is a timing mark with either a 3, 4 or 6 next to it. You would use the mark with the "6" next to it. If you post that picture I asked for I will confirm it.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2021-04-13 06:17

    Give me the pump number and I’ll confirm mg’s confirmation.. lol

  4. #4tony12242021-04-13 19:15

    thanks for the reply. I did check on the gear and you are right. I when with the mark 6 and still won't start. Here is how I'm doing the time ,tell me if it is right. I remove the #1 injector and crank the motor until I feel the compression comes out as check to make sure that the piston is all the way to the top and the 2 valve on the cylinder #1 are close, I used the camshaft mark on the gear to be inline with the crankshaft ( JD254) that is the JD timing tool. then I do used the mark 6 on the gear on the injection pump to be inline with the tool looking at the crankshaft . Can you tell me if I'm doing it right?

  5. #5mg23612021-04-14 05:14

    You should use a timing pin in the flywheel when #1 is TDC. Then the marks on the cam and the fuel pump should line up with the crank with the tool.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2021-04-14 05:38

    What happened to the pump #.?

  7. #7tony12242021-04-14 10:13

    I try looking trough the hole in the flywheel for the pin but I can find one . Nothing happen to the pump . I just did an in frame rebuild of the engine .

  8. #8Tinkerer2021-04-14 10:38

    When you have #1 TDC and cannot get the timing pin in, you may have the crankshaft 180° off.

  9. #9mg23612021-04-14 12:12

    There should be a small hole (about 5/16") on the opposite side of the starter on the forward side of the flywheel housing.

  10. #10tony12242021-04-14 15:00

    Ok I found the pin hole and the timing I have it is pretty close maybe have to move the camshaft back a little but not much. I'm in the process of doing that. I will post as soon that I know something .Thank you guys for the help. I have done Ford, Cumin, Chevy, Mopar and others . this is my first John Deere and it has take to school.

  11. #11thepumpguysc2021-04-15 23:27

    Don’t forget, that flywheel hole will come up TWICE.. Once for TDC compression & another for TDC exhaust.. What do u mean by moving the crank shaft back.??

  12. #12mg23612021-04-16 04:50

    With the flywheel pinned (don't eyeball it, PIN IT) at #1 TDC the cam and fuel pump need to be dead on.

  13. #13tony12242021-04-23 03:18

    Quote : Don’t forget, that flywheel hole will come up TWICE.. Once for TDC compression & another for TDC exhaust.. What do u mean by moving the crank shaft back.?? I'm replying to this quote I know that is two hole on the flywheel . I'm using the one that #1 piston is on top. I got the tractor the other the to try to fire up , I stop right there and start to adjust the valve but today I realize that some of the pushrods was bent. I change the pushrods but now I got a new problem. When you try to turn the engine as the valve open starts to put a lot of pressure on the engine and it is hard to turn by hand. Now if you turn loose the rocker arms the engine will turn very nice . this just happen after I saw the pushrods bent, cause the other day before this happen it was turning find. what do you think that what happen Can the camshaft be bent or the valve . What gets me is that everything was check before rebuilding the engine and all the parts check find .This John Deere it is taking me me back to school, never on all the engines I have rebuild this has happen before. Thank you guy's a lot.

  14. #14mg23612021-04-23 05:21

    Still sounds like a timing issue.

  15. #15tony12242021-04-23 06:52

    I understand what you are saying, can you please help here. It is to pin holes in the flywheel. On one the piston #1 and #6 are down and on the other one the piston #1 and #6 are on top. I'm using the one on tap ounces the #1 piston is on top I make sure that the pin hole is alien with the ,that is how I adjust the valve #1 , 3 and exhaust and #1 , 2 , 4 intake then I turn the crankshaft 360 degree and then I do the rest of the valve . I just want to know if I'm doing it right. Ounce again thank you for your help

  16. #16melben2021-04-23 08:45

    If you bent push rods as you stated I would check cam to crank timing before anything else.you obviously have some interference problems to deal with before fuel pump timing

  17. #17Tinkerer2021-04-23 14:43

    Bent pushrods ? No wonder you are having pump timing problems. You may be dealing with bent valves and damaged pistons. It takes quite a bit of force to bend pushrods.

  18. #18tony12242021-05-17 00:18

    This is an update on the JD 2950. I remove the head ,then I remove the valve and they are bent. So I got a set of new lifter and pushrods. I'm still having the same problem , about 5 pushrods are getting bent no matter what you do I have adjust the valve with # 1 piston on compression, I have even going as far as doing piston by piston and still have same issue. Tomorrow I'm going to remove the head again ,the lifters and pulling the Camshaft out, cause everything else is in order. Can this happen if the camshaft bearing are bad? Thank you guys for all the help. I will keep you guys posted. as soon that I find out if I even found anything. This is the fert time that something like this happen to me...It is taking back to school. Lol

  19. #19mg23612021-05-17 05:15

    Did you double check your timing mark alignment on the gears? Did you measure piston protrusion above the block? Maximum spec is 0.013". Is there a "B" or an "H" stamped on the piston top?

  20. #20tony12242021-05-17 10:20

    timing finally is ok. no I have not check the piston above the block, but I will do so when I pull the head. Also I will look on the piston for the letter that is stamp on. What is the difference from the letter "B" or "H" ?

  21. #21mg23612021-05-17 12:04

    In the days gone by there used to be some hard starting issues with the older engines that was addressed with "taller" pistons to increase compression and improve starting. However the protrusion had to be checked to make sure they weren't too tall. Those pistons were stamped with an "H". Standard pistons were stamped with a "B". I do not think Deere offers those options anymore for those older engines. The parts page does not show them but they didn't in the past either. They were in a bulletin that was issued. Although they may not offer them anymore it just made me wonder if some fell through the cracks and made it into the liner kits.

  22. #22tony12242021-05-20 00:33

    I really don't know why this happen. It was nothing wrong with this engine. The tractor was always run pretty good , what happen is that I have other tractors so this one we hardly used and it was left for about 2 years in the field and when we went to started up the engine was lock and had a lot of water in it. I took the engine apart and got it free, so we went ahead to do an inframe rebuild , we keep the same pistons we got new bearing ,pistons rings, now new lifters and pushrods, new fuel lift pump and rebuild the injection pump. the only thing that I didn't do was to remove the camshaft and check the bearings. Unless something is wrong with the bearings or the camshaft I really don't know what else can be bending some of the pushrods not all of then this is happening to. Thanks for all the help and I will post by this weekend as soon that i pull out the camshaft , I'm hopping that something is wrong.

  23. #23mg23612021-05-20 04:46

    Do the new lifters move freely in there bores? Maybe there is still a little rust hanging them up.

  24. #24john hofer2021-05-21 08:23

    Had the same issue with a 6404 jd The cam bearing were bad and at some point seized the cam and stripped the half moon key in the drive gear when the key stripped it locked in at a different position took I while to find that out