Starts and.stalls with starting fluid have fuel to injector pump but nothing fuel coming out of injector pump on off solenoid is working properly and is very clean in solenoid bowl any suggestions please THANK YOU very much for any help JON
See if metering valve in top of pump is turning when governor springs tries to open. This low sulphur diesel is causing them to stick. CAVs can be tapped on with a lite hammer while starting and sometimes get them to snap loose.
Thanks so much I will try that today and let you know how I made out jon
No luck starting jd310a Any other advice I hope or is this a classic symptom of a bad injector pump
here a manual for it maybe that will help yeah out https://mega.nz/#!DhcElaQJ!WhRTU9eITYvCeCupR_j86fnUYluZwwOCuak-WXQhl8U
Copied from other thread: "I was never able to get fuel to injectors or for that matter never got out of banjo fittings on the pump itself I have when I blew out the return line on pump it did sound like a possible plugged broke free but I could never get it cranking well enough again to see if it would start I'm kinda new to injector pumps but when I took the top off everything looked very clean I did not find any mouse turds any advice would be Greatly appreciated THANK you Jon" When you had the cover off could you identify the metering valve or whatever the solenoid acts on and verify that it moves? You can try to start it up with the cover removed, the solenoid won't be there to shut it off, and you'll spill diesel. Another option is to open the timing cover, the little rectangular cover on the side with two screws, that will show the timing marks move while somebody cranks it or you turn the engine over by hand and you can verify that the pump is turning, but that might not be absolute because the shaft can break between the timing marks and the guts of the pump. The other thing to check is to remove the fuel intake line between the injector lines and see if the fuel gets sucked in, or at least bounces when the engine turns over. That whole cover between the injection lines is the low pressure pump, and there could be a plugged screen, maybe stuck check valve? How about a picture of the injection pump? and what's the history of the machine, new purchase?
Hi I put a new battery in the machine and it's cranking good now but after cranking a couple of times in approximately 10 second intervals I am getting no fuel into the injector pump I opened the timing cover on the pump there is rotation but there is a timing mark that stays stationary is this correct now this is an older machine and the pump looks like it has never been touched can i take the screen out without disturbing anything inside pump I will post some pics Thanks for your time and advice Jon
No fuel into the injection pump? like if you crank it with the cover off it won't overflow with diesel? There is a stationary mark, as long as you can see the ring rotating there, then THAT part is right. But the shaft could still be broken and the head seized, therefore not turning the transfer/vane pump that is on the end of the injection pump. You can take the whole cover off that's between the injection lines without messing up the timing etc. but there are springs and stuff that could be tricky to get back together. As long as you don't lose anything, the fittings at the inlet are a good place to investigate. See if there's a screen visible and try to pull it out, then see if there's a check valve.
yeah when I crank it with cover off pump no fuel at all getting in doesn't fill oh it ihas a new lift pump and filter Thanks
Hi well I pulled end cover off and cleaned a plugged screen but nothing luck the head in the end cap is rotating when I turn motor by hand so I guess the shaft is not broken I think I have checked everything I can before a pump rebuild unless you have any other advice on what I could check unless I can find something else to check I will be setting up the timing so I can pull the pump any advice on that would be great I have never rebuilt and injector pump but from videos it looks like I can handle this would you recommend I try it or is this something I should not attempt THANK You jon
So you saw the vane pump inside the end cap that was rotating, that's a good sign- the head is not seized or shaft broken. The screen being plugged is not a good sign, that same gunk could have gunked up something else also. Did you take apart the vanes in the pump inside that end cap? I'm not sure what to do next, unless you're not sure about everything inside the top cover being free to move. I wouldn't attempt a rebuild unless I knew what the problem was, and I don't know enough to say what's going on at this point.
Hi yes I saw the vanes rotating but did not take them out can i remove them with pump still on motor and is it a big deal to get them back in THANK You so much for your FAST response jon
Yes, they're easy to remove, a little trickier to put back in. Are you SURE that the linkage attached to the "throttle" shaft in post #2, and the solenoid/shut off are loose? There are lots of members here with more injection pump knowledge than me, but I'm pretty sure you need fuel inside the pump for it to work Were the vanes in the end full of fuel? could you see through, or did you try to blow through the end cover to be sure it was clear?
Hi yes linkage is loose and with the end cap off fuel passage is clear and free flowing now I don't know if I should be able to blow through the fuel inlet with no resistance when end cap is installed on pump Thanks jon
Sorry, no I meant when you had the cover off. Sorry, I'm out of ideas.
Just to clarify something (reading the thread for the 1st time). I know you said you blew out a fuel line but have you removed and cleaned out the tank, lines and filter bowls of water, sediment, etc..?
Hello I have cleaned and blown out every line and have free flow fuel to the pump I removed end cap on pump fuel flows free through the screen in cap now it seems like to me it's not getting past the vanes under end cap they are rotating when I turn motor by hand (new filter and lift pump)Thanks jon