I finished the water pump rebuild only to have a leak spring from the reverser. There is a hole in the bottom of the bell housing with a cotter key in it. Oil is coming out this hole in large quantities :Banghead Reverser is low on fluid and motor oil level is fine. It looks like pulling the motor is the way in. I've looked at the drawings on jdparts.com but can't tell, can the input seal be replaced without pulling the reverser? Any tips on making this repair appreciated , even simple stuff like leaving or removing the instrument pedestal. Fortunately the machine is very clean and I won't be digging thru 20yrs of crud to get to pieces and parts. On the positive side, after reinstalling the WP I ran a very old can of prestone cleaner thru the system. The two part kind where the powdered cleaner is flushed with a neutralizer. After all done the operating temp dropped significantly.
The motor came out with about 4 hrs effort. Coulda got it out faster but I don't work very hard. So now I am looking at the reverser input, the seal looks pretty simple. I wonder if there is a way to find out if the gasket needs to be replaced as well. That could be much more involved and I really don't want to get into it. I'm thinking of putting some air pressure into the case thru the filler/dip stick.
Can't help you out, don't know myself but please keep posting your progress for the rest of us. Hopefully someone who has done this will post and help.