fan quit working on the cab heater and it's very expensive to buy from the dealer. Has anyone ever tried some kind of after market heater. I'm talking about the kind that's self contained. It's the coil, motor, switch and housing. I found one at Summit Racing for half the price of the Deere heater. Finding a place to mount it might be a problem.
I have the same fan motor/heater that came not working. I freed it up and tried to spray some lithium grease at the bearings, it squealed so bad I was going to take it out (looks like the heater core comes with it) but now it runs quiet so I guess I'll just wait and see how it goes? It shouldn't be too hard to cobble in a 12v motor from a junk heater and keep everything else the same, that's my plan if it ever comes to it.
The heater on my 310D was in bad shape. I purchased one like in this photo from Princess Auto which is were this ad has been copied from. My heater compartment is under the seat and half under the floor. With a little modification it fits perfectly there and works with the OEM JD heater controls.
That one there looks similar to the kind I'm looking at from Summit Racing. It sounds like it should work ok. Mine is located on the right side of the cab and under all of the gauges/lights/controls. Kind of a pita to get at. http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/SUM-991106.jpg This one is $185 Brand: Summit Racing Manufacturer's Part Number: SUM-991106 Part Type: Heaters Product Line: Summit Racing® Automotive Heaters Summit Racing Part Number: SUM-991106 Heater Type: Triple front vent Heater Material: Nylon Heater Finish: Black Heater Depth (in): 8.625 in. Heater Height (in): 7.000 in. Heater Width (in): 16.000 in. Heater Flow (cfm): 300 Heater Output (btus): 40,000 Fan Speed: 3-speed Uses Engine Coolant for Heat: Yes Quantity: Sold individually. Notes: Heater units are equipped with 5/8 in. heater core outlets.
Da'yoop, That heater should be perfect. One detail I remember from installing mine is the OEM heater compartment had a filted duct that alowed the heater to drawing air from outside the cab. I had to repair that section and modified it to fit a cheaper automotive air filter that I could purchase from UAP. That is an important feature as it helps a huge amount in preventing your windows from steaming up on the inside.
Mill Supply sells about anything you need for and including cab heaters. https://www.millsupply.com/search.php?k=heaters&e=0&page=1
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.