Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD450 Issues

chansey ยท 2014-07-30 15:06

Hi all, Bought a well used JD450 a year ago and have gotten more than $5,000 worth of work out of it. Now it's time to get some items repaired. When I initially purchased the dozer, the right steering clutch was a bear to engage when turning. Over time, it loosened up however it had a different feel to it than the left. While pushing dirt, I stopped, backed up and wanted to go forward again. The dozer would not go forward at all and it is still parked in the same position. The linkages are well worn and have a lot of slop-- will re-bush, rework as many as possible Pulled the seat off to look and steering clutch function. In a static position, both sit at the same position when viewed from the top. The cylinder movement is 1" greater on the left than the right. The brake shaft also has more movement. There is some issue with the right brake. Getting ready to pull the top on the transmission to see was is wrong. For those of you who have experience with these older JD450's, I'm willing to accept any advice you may have to offer. I have other heavy equipment and do my own work and have the tools and equipment to do anything that is required. Thanks in advance Paul

Replies13
  1. #1Labparamour2014-08-10 23:25

    HEW has a lot of great, knowledgable members. The JDCrawler forum also has a lot of info specific to Deere. http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=0b0759c0f4be7f134dcb1e83273ae1ad I have a 450B and had some steering issues. You may have a couple issues...steering clutch and transmission or HLR. Here's a forum thread on steering.... http://www.jdcrawlers.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=9324&highlight=slipping Good luck.

  2. #2chansey2014-08-11 23:57

    450 Dozer I was able to dig a little deeper into HLR transmission/steering problems. Removed the 15/16" cap on the HLR pressure adjustment--RH side near brake pedal. There were two washers under the spring, so someone had already been in to it. Just for giggles, I added another washer. What is the correct HLR pressure setting? Adding the washer under the spring (3 total now) did get the system pressurized. Started the dozer and had oil spraying and dripping heavily. The return hose on the LH steering valve had ruptured. I'm going to replace the supply and return hoses. They have served their time --- 48 years is enough. With the hoses removed, I pulled back on the right and left steering levers and noticed that there had been a lot of air in the system. Any suggestions on how to bleed the air? The hoses will be made and installed tomorrow and I'll see where I need to go from there. Paul

  3. #3Labparamour2014-08-12 14:07

    Glad you're making headway. The best advice I got off any forum was, "get the manual." I purchased the downloadable version and had it in 15 minutes- I print pages as needed to have at my side while working on it. http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US...atalogs/order_manuals_and_parts_catalogs.page My 450 is a B model so, not knowing what yours is, can't say what differences there might be. There are specific sequences for test/adjust HLR and brakes, etc. mine shifted too quickly and, using the manual, readjusted and found it had been way off and shifts much better now. Here are a couple pages re: HLR adjusting. HLR by labparamour , on Flickr HLR by labparamour , on Flickr

  4. #4Palmer782014-08-12 21:10

    My dads 450 doesn't want to move in forward sometimes and he just pops the clutch with his foot and it goes. Glad to hear you're getting it fixed though.

  5. #5chansey2014-08-13 00:10

    This old Vietnam Vet is not going to give up anytime soon. Just finished putting together a Scat Trak that had the Perkins out of the skid steer, engine was seized and had bits and pieces missing. It didn't have a chain guard, radiator, oil cooler and electrical was torn up. Have a total of $2,350 in it and runs ever so sweet and has more power than any I've had on any previously owned skid steer. My Trojan loader had a rod knock when I purchased it. Engine is now torn down, crank re-ground and just waiting for a few seals. Everything else is in great shape, no hydraulic leaks and has 80% tires. Not intimidated by any mechanical work, just that the old body does't move as well as it used to. Have a little of the "shakes" and "dropsy". Have tools and equipment to do whatever needs to be done. As for the JD 450, I know I need to purchase a JD Service Manual. Just tinkering on the obvious and learning how everything relates to each other and troubleshooting as I go along. Picked up the hoses late today and will be installed tomorrow. Paul

  6. #6chansey2014-08-14 00:33

    My JD 450 has power steering and it was the return hose on the left cylinder that was ruptured. Replaced the return and pressure hoses. The steering levers now seem to have pressure, however there is still no forward or reverse movement. I have an inspection camera and going to make sure that the clutch is engaging and disengaging as it should. Also going to make sure that the transmission is actually rotating. I downloaded the JD 450 Service Manual in PDF format for $35.00. So far the troubleshooting sequence is on target. As stated earlier, most all clevices, and pivots are worn and sloppy. I have a feeling that it may end up being a linkage problem. Still concerned about the HLR engaging -- pressure test/adjustment will determine what's up. I don't believe I have a steering problem. Only got to work on the dozer about an hour today. Tomorrow I will install gauges and see where it leads. Paul

  7. #7Labparamour2014-08-14 12:51

    My 450 has play in shift linkages and I sometimes have to fuss with both levers. It sounds like main clutch or trans issue. Glad you have the manual. It will help you troubleshoot in proper sequence. Hope you don't have to tear too deep into it.

  8. #8chansey2014-08-17 00:27

    I tried to get my camera into the LH plug port, however I could not get enough of an angle to see if the clutch was actually driving the input shaft to the transmission. I also took off the plates to adjust the steering and brakes. Right brake needs some adjustment. The steering actuators have about the same spacing off the stops. At this point I need to verify that the engine clutch is actually functioning and and driving the HLR. The other possible item may be the transmission charge pump. I will be taking pressure tests early next week. Anyone have any other ideas? Paul

  9. #9chansey2014-08-17 08:19

    Back to the engine clutch For those of you who have a JD 450, is there any pedal resistance when the clutch is depressed ? Unless I observe the throwout bearing moving, I can't notice any difference in the pedal resistance when the clutch is depressed. If there is supposed to be some resistance when the clutch is depressed, then I have a non-functioning engine clutch. Paul

  10. #10old-iron-habit2014-08-17 10:08

    On a 455 I had which is a loader version, half clutch disengaged the forwarder/reverser power shift, full pedal stopped the main transmission and PTO. Adjusting one affects the other.

  11. #11markmc602015-04-27 12:20

    I know this is way late, but my 450 has pressure on the clutch pedal, and if you don't get it all the way in gear shift the 1 thru 4 and try to shift you can get that good old gear grind, tells your trans is moving!. I would like to hear more on your 450, I am in the middle of replacing the steering clutches in mine.

  12. #12chansey2015-04-27 21:14

    I no longer have the dozer. I used it for what I needed and finished up with the loader I put together. Used the dozer and sold it "as-is" for $1,000 more than I purchased it for. Paul

  13. #13old-iron-habit2015-04-27 23:36

    As stated in the post above yours your 450 clutch disengages only the forward reverser at half clutch and the PTO and gear transmission continue to spin until the clutch is pushed all the way in. The 455 I used as an example is the same machine with a loader instead of a dozer blade. Adjustment between the two positions is critical to prevent clutch slippage.