Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD50 idler squeek repair ideas

bigboytoy ยท 2019-06-05 10:58

My excavator has 2700 hrs on it and one track idler started squeaking. I'm am looking up the parts and see it is just a bushing type pin/sleeve (no bearings)... They sell the shaft and bushings ...but I'm thinking why change it, I see no harm in running it till it gets loose. Or is there a way to grease this thing... any thoughts people?

Replies10
  1. #1mg23612019-06-05 19:21

    It should have a fill plug and it gets 90 weight oil.

  2. #2bigboytoy2019-06-05 21:46

    that is not same idler... its close ... G is not a pin but mine has a bolt ...this is a picture of the replacement ...I would guess the red spot is a possible location to add oil? I just have to remove idler to do it. Anyone done this?

  3. #3bigboytoy2019-06-05 21:50

    I will clean it up and look for a fill port

  4. #4bigboytoy2019-06-06 10:46

    I did not find any ports /openings for oil. Its soaking with 2700 hrs on the JD50 the idler is not totally trashed.. it could of been a rock squeaking? it has 1/4" of play in it,,anyways I got this far thought I would try to get shaft out .... it might take a big press? any ideas

  5. #5Nige2019-06-06 13:47

    With 1/4" of play in it you can guarantee whatever lubricant may have been there at one time is long gone by now. My 2c. Disassemble it now and you may just save the shaft. Leave it much longer and the shaft will likely be toast.

  6. #6bigboytoy2019-06-06 14:08

    I got it off! ... it was not dry but very dirty oil and very little...shaft has very little wear ... the bushings are only 1/16 smaller diameter approx. ... looking at itss toughness...I believe I will put it back together with fresh oil...it has 1000 hrs left or more... thanks Nige

  7. #7bigboytoy2019-06-06 14:10

    should I install a grease port?

  8. #8Nige2019-06-06 14:40

    First suggestion - buy a lottery ticket........ What sort of state were the seal assemblies in..? If you put more oil is it just going to leak back out again..? Even with only 1/16 of wear TBH I'd still seriously consider throwing new bushings in it as well.

  9. #9CatKC2019-06-06 14:49

    Bronze/brass roller bushings are not like bearings as they are used in many places such as railroad cars. ANY play in a bushing will 'quickly wear it down', no matter the lubricant, as the design is intended to apply 'even pressure over a large area'. IMHO: I would replace it as soon as possible. (and I am -not known- for spending money excessively . . I'm a cheapskate)

  10. #10bigboytoy2019-06-06 17:49

    The seals were near perfect, they are high quality and durable. I did install a way to add gear oil (not grease) , I did order bushings for the other side. After tackling this one i realize I can do. I will go back and do this side again in a month I just have jobs to do. It is getting easier, thanks for the help!