Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD550G – Is my tilt working correctly?

JBrady ยท 2021-05-05 09:58

Kind of a newbie question here. It sure seems like the tilt on my 6 way tilts more to the right than to the left. I'm adding some pictures tilted all the way to each side. From outside the machine, they don't look that different, and there is a slight grade in the barn it is sitting in, but from the operator's seat, it is very noticeable. I don't see any pins or cylinders binding up and no pops or erratic movement. I also don't want to make a problem where one doesn't exist. I'm just wondering if this is typical due to the blade geometry.

Replies7
  1. #1mg23612021-05-06 04:58

    Those pictures look the same to me. If the blade is not perpendicular to the front of the machine when checking then the degree of tilt will change based on how far the blade is angled. Otherwise there is nothing you can do if you have full cylinder travel.

  2. #2Vetech632021-05-06 07:55

    I think your seeing one of those optical illusions. Looks good from the pics to me.

  3. #3Bluox2021-05-06 08:02

    You need to check your cutting edges the right side looks more than wore out. Bob

  4. #4Rob Gunn2021-05-06 08:35

    Take a look at the 2 half moon tilt guides on the back of the blade. I have a JD550 with a the same setup and I found that my guides were binding up. As a test, I loosened the bolts that hold the guides on and found that my blade had a lot more travel. Then I simply bent, beat, ground, cut what was needed to change to make the binding go away. I finally even found that a little shim under the guides do the most help. good luck and let us know what you find.

  5. #5mg23612021-05-06 11:51

    Sorry Rob, a "G" does not have that setup.

  6. #6JBrady2021-05-06 12:27

    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I am planning on replacing the cutting edge end bits soon. I haven't had the dozer very long and slowly going through it. It is in pretty good shape, just need to fix a few things here and there.

  7. #7361brock2021-05-08 17:38

    Somebody favored the right side, compare the bushings, sprockets & rollers on the right side to the left.