Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jd590d runs hot

coastlogger ยท 2018-05-23 10:32

My 1991 JD590D runs hotter than Id like on a hot day.I have a manual Murphy gauge its around 190-200 on a heavy dig. Rad is clean I think water pump is fine no coolant useage etc. it just seems like its borderline on cooling capacity. Others who have owned this model and its sister Hitachi 150 say similar things. Im thinking I want to fix this once and for all. One would think if I got a fan with more pitch in blades this would help the cooling a lot. No idea where to get such a thing.Was also thinking of adding an electric fan from a hydraulic oil cooler that I happen to have.Anyone have any ideas on this?

Replies7
  1. #1brianbulldozer2018-05-23 22:54

    Used to have an old EX150 that would run warm. Replaced the fan with no success. Problem was the missing foam strips around the radiator that seal against the bulkhead and the hood. Never had any more problems after that other than the usual plugged radiator that needed to be blown out periodically. I think the factory foam is pretty flimsy and no match for the pressure washer.

  2. #292U 34062018-05-23 23:32

    Old school Hitachi guy I worked with a long time ago said the same as above: foam seals. According to him they had to be sealed up real good or the air would just get pulled around the coolers instead of through them.

  3. #3tool_king2018-05-24 00:20

    Second that ,same thing on Linkbelt with a cummins did the same thing overheat .No foam around radiator to hood .

  4. #4coastlogger2018-05-24 01:14

    My foam is in real good shape.Trying to figure out if foam strips are so important,which everyone says they are,why do machines generally run cooler with hood up and foam strips not then in place?

  5. #5Vetech632018-05-24 06:34

    The temp range you have sounds about right to me.

  6. #6tool_king2018-05-24 18:21

    The reason it will run cooler with the hood open .Is the heat raises from both the engine ,hydraulic pumps and hydraulics .And is not trapped .

  7. #7Bls repair2018-05-25 15:46

    Take a IR thermometer and take readings at different places on the radiator to see if you have even cooling. May have some clogged tubes.