Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD648GIII problems

TFS ยท 2013-04-16 21:14

Hi just wondering if anyone has experienced the same problems I am having with our 648 GIII TC. 1. When starting to work the machine the other day I studdenly lost all throttle. The machine would not move of idle up. I moved the shifter from forward to reverse and back then it seemed to work fine. It did this repeatedly throughout the day. No codes. Any thoughts? Thanks 2. We have had a 540 B for a number of years. 23.1 tires and chains all around. The new machine is the 648 Giii TC 28L 26 with new bear paws. I can go just about anywhere with the 540 while the 648G gets stuck all the time. The chains load up with mud and I can't pull a single log. the 540 will pull the same track without hitting the dif loc. I would greatly appreciate any thoughts? Do the chains just need to get worn in or could I be running them to tight and it's not kicking the mud out as a result? Frustrated!

Replies6
  1. #1partsandservice2013-04-17 01:07

    The throttle is electtonic. The accelerator posting sensor is located in the foot feed assembly . When rubber boot gets a hole in it can pack with dirt. It is possible that engine is not reaching throttle. How many tons you getting at full throttle? This would not code as there is no break in the circuit,the pcm thinks it is at idle because it senses no input voltage from accerator pedal position sensor.

  2. #2heymccall2013-04-17 12:49

    The two wire connector on the injection pump for throttle control, on my JD 544Js loose their terminal tension, resulting in the same symptoms. Retension the terminals, and spin the harness twice, to preload the wire tension, before reconnecting.

  3. #3TFS2013-04-17 21:55

    I appreciate your help!

  4. #4MutsMachines2013-08-09 22:52

    gotta hate when that happens. in these pictures there is a stump in the middle of the machine it took a lot to get her out

  5. #5rfm7fxfox2013-10-11 07:47

    Do you have the bear paws on the 540? I have personally never had good luck with those chains. They load up with mud and don't clean out well at all. Being too tight deffinatley doesn't help the situation. We switched all our chains over to diamonds, double diamonds and diamond and a halfs and never had that problem since. Now I'm not saying you have to do the same because chains are expensive! The tires may have something to do with it. The 23.1 x 26 are a better tire IMO. We had 28ls on a 460 with bear paws and had the exact same problem you're having but never a single problem like that with 23.1s.....I will never run 28ls on another piece of equipment they just don't seem to have the bite as a smaller narrower tire!

  6. #6rfm7fxfox2013-10-11 07:50

    You keep running it those chains will loosen up on their own and maybe that will reduce the problem with them getting stuffed with mud!