Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jet Pilot To Truck Driver

KingRanch · 2012-05-20 09:03

Hello Form The Northeast Hey Everyone, I am 28 and my road to construction I guess you could say is a little less traveled. I have always been interested in construction but do to family dynamics (working for my Dad) I chose a different road and became a pilot. I went on to fly Lear Jets and than Regional Jets for the Airlines. It wasn’t long before the economy went south though and I lost my job. Being married with a son I had to do something so I did what I grew up doing and went to work in construction. Still on the fence about working for papa dukes I wanted to do something on my own so I started a website www.Trade-A-Tractor.com which is a free source to list and sell Heavy Equipment. Finally my transformation from Jet Pilot to Truck Driver is complete because I just got my CDL-A the other day, which for all of you wondering was harder to get than my license to fly a jet. Anyway sorry for the long-winded intro but hello!

Replies5
  1. #1DirtHauler2012-05-20 18:00

    Welcome the Heavy Equipment Forum. You are not the first one to have issues working with/for family, trust me on this. Funny enough, that is one of the reasons i became a dump truck driver.

  2. #2KingRanch2012-05-20 22:29

    yeah working for family can be a good thing but more often than not it causes problems that eventually go beyond just work related and relationships begin to suffer.

  3. #3Dirtmover12502012-05-20 22:48

    I bet there is nothing worse than someone that thinks they are entitled to special treatment getting in the way of buisness.

  4. #4dirtmonkey2012-05-21 08:20

    1st, welcome 2nd, working with family is tough. We've been through this for the last 20 years and it's hard to work out. My father and I can't stand to work a day without the other but some times can't stand to work on the same mile much less the same job:beatsme All I can say is it has gotten better and I know some day he won't be there for our yell/ hug matches. Every one says it's like watching Paul Sr and Jr or the guys on Axe men. We've decided to be a lot easier on each other and it's worth it! Long story short , make it work if you want it too. 3rd I always thought of the walk around on the trucks like a pre-flight. Helped a lot when I took my test . Just with out the test fire of the 60's or Mini guns! :guns Never a jet jockey but always a rotor head

  5. #5wosama931b2012-05-21 08:56

    Hi King Ranch, Well i worked with my StepDad when i was a young kid, scraped a lot of gaskets, learned a lot from him but he was a great mechanic and race fan. Now i have a 23 year old daughter, col-grad, she thinks that she knows everything and wants nothing to do with my company, not sure where i went wrong, but now days working for the company that dad has is better than the soup line. Your web site looks good, welcome to the Forum.