Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jib Cranes

rosebyrne ยท 2014-04-21 08:31

Looking into building a shop soon. Was wanting to install a small jib crane. Not sure if I will wall mount or have a freestanding. My question is, what kind of bearing should i use for the top pivot? Was thinking of a tapered "timken" type bearing. I would like to be able to lift 1/2 to maybe 3/4 ton max. I beam arm, with about six foot arm length of reach. I am not an engineer by any means, but would think I would only need a bearing on the upper support as that is where most of the thrust would be. Hope I worded this right, and isnt too confusing. It all sounds legit in my mind! Looking for any advice or from anyone who has built or is knowledgeable in this area. Thanks in advance.

Replies2
  1. #1dbl6122014-04-21 09:17

    spherical ball bushings work very well for top and bottom pivots in this application

  2. #2Andrew_D2014-04-21 10:51

    I was thinking a big tapered bearing in the bottom to carry the load and a large roller bearing at the top since most of the top load will be sideways. Have you considered adding a leg on the swinging crane? That would help to carry the load and greatly increase your load carrying ability. In my shop, I'd like to add a small jib over the lathe/milling machine for swapping chucks, loading parts, etc. Anything too large, I can use the forklift. A freestanding crane on rollers/wheels would be nice as well to move to where I need it. Andrew