Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Jlg 2630es multiple problems

Moonlite · 2017-01-27 22:06

Was called out because it would just flash error code when you pulled out the e-stop and the battery connections were corroded. Arrived at site and customer had cut off one of the connections so I replaced the end and repaired another battery connection. Hooked up my analyzer pulled out e-stop. I showed power module failure so I changed it to a 1930es then the power Module showed active so reset to a 2630es. Then it gave drive prevented pothole sensor not engaged. So checked switches with dvom. Meter shows open when in stowed position and closed when elevated. Can put a piece of metal on proximity sensor and it will drive. So i was thinking about elevation sensor bad although it showed to be changing as I raised the platform. So took one off of a known working machine and recalibrated it. Got same problem. So put back on working machine. Now both machines give pothole sensor code. On the machine that I was called out on I put new pothole switches and a ground control board and elevation sensor about 6 months ago. It had the same problem I'm having now. Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Replies5
  1. #1Moonlite2017-01-31 23:37

    Done deal

  2. #2Moonlite2017-02-04 23:16

    What I did to this machine. I found that the elevation sensor showed uninstalled so I changed it to installed. I also put a new statistic ground strap on it. So my question is with these guys tearing the static ground strap off of this machine and others cause these electrical problems?

  3. #3willie592017-02-04 23:34

    I don't know exactly what all problems static electricity can/will cause to these machines, but I know it does cause problems with the electrical control systems. A static discharge strap is pretty much a necessity on machines with non-marking tires. We fitted non-marking tires on the Bobcat skidloaders that handle the attachments in the Blue Diamond shipping area, regular tires were beginning to make a black mess everywhere from the rubber being chewed off the tires. After we fitted non-marking tires the guys were getting shocked by the machines. It baffled me for a while until I recalled my days of working on scissor lifts and the need for static straps. I attached a piece of chain to the rear of the Bobcat machines to provide a static tail dragging the ground, problem solved, no more getting shocked by the machine. My point, if they can build enough static to make an arc when you grabbed the machine I'm thinking it can certainly wreak havoc on PWM electronic controls. Don't know how, just know it does.

  4. #4seatwarmer2017-02-04 23:54

    A google provides the answer: Limitations of non-marking tyres: Higher costs are involved These tyres wear more quickly; up to 25% faster on average. They may not leave markings on the floor but they create dust invisible to the eye As carbon black is removed from the tyres their lifespan is much shorter Although we can’t see the worn rubber material on warehouse flooring, the rubber is still deposited just the same White non-marking tyres do not have anti-static properties. When operating in flammable or explosive settings the equipment needs to be fitted with earthing straps

  5. #5Moonlite2017-02-05 14:45

    Thanks for the replies. Haven't figured out how these guys tear the ground straps off so fast but they do.