Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jlg 33 ha trouble

LQQKING4U ยท 2014-08-10 16:42

I just found your website, let me first say thanks to you, I bought the lift at auction, have been using for 4 months its a hyd. controlled unit made in 1987 33HA basic with a kohler 18 hp the JLG website doesn't have a manuel listed. the only problem when purchased was the aux. motor didn't work. I wired a toggle switch on the ground for wife to switch if I ran out of gas. Today the engine died, she flipped the switch, 12v motor was running but I couldn't come down, ladder down, thought the hyd fluid was low added 3 gallons, from the ground control I let the platform down, flipped to platform and tried to raise but it wont move. The starter wont turn, I have voltage to the switch and out, no voltage to start button, voltage to 2 relays voltage doesn't drop when pressing the start button, I jumped voltage to start senolid motor started, but kept running with switch to off. two wires going to engine unplugged them engine kept running until I pulled plug wires Two of the relays are Hella 4bd 960-388-22, and 4ra 003-510-34, the other isn't marked except with wiring dia. all three have the same numbers for wiring dia # 85,86,87a,87,30 Is there a safety switch on the hyd. if I was low on fluid that I need to reset, reason I can control platform from ground but not platform on aux. power and does anyone have a wiring dia. for this unit or have a idea why I died and wont restart. Thanks for any help

Replies18
  1. #1LQQKING4U2014-08-10 16:46

    I knew I would forget something, today right before it died I had used the telescope to reach a additional 3 feet, for the first time

  2. #2LQQKING4U2014-08-11 14:21

    The platform, ground switch burnt up, on terminal with voltage to it. short somewhere to the platform?

  3. #3LQQKING4U2014-08-20 11:18

    I replaced the platform/ground switch and installed a in line fuse, lift worked good for 3 days, yesterday it would steer to right and not to left. I've replaced the steer toggle switch I have voltage to the switch and to each side when toggled. Jlg has no info. on website for this lift, 33HA basic built 5/1987 S/N 0308710487. I hate to ask to been spoon fed information, but could someone please give me the simple explaination of how the steering works, I suspect the wiring from ground to platform.

  4. #4Moonlite2014-08-20 17:05

    Im not familiar with this machine. Normally your steer switch energizes your left or tight steer coil on valve bank. Which inturn supplies oil to steer cylinder. Have you checked for broke wires in platform harness where it comes out of platform or any other bends.

  5. #5LQQKING4U2014-08-20 19:46

    I have voltage on both left and right steer coils when I toggle the steering switch, the outside coil has a 3/16 rod sticking out I pushed it in would steer both ways but it pops out then won't steer to right

  6. #6Moonlite2014-08-20 20:52

    The left and right steer coils should be the same. Swap them and see if you still have same results or if or if problem changes sides.

  7. #7willie592014-08-20 21:04

    Also switch the wire connections to the coil. The toggle will now work backwards, but see if it still will only steer right. If it does, see if you can switch the hose connections for steering at the steer valve.

  8. #8LQQKING4U2014-08-21 21:17

    I switched the hoses, it steers the other way (left) only. removed the outside coil, the easy one, the machine will steer to the right only. put a 1/4 extension in coil and energized it I can feel it try to move the extension. removed the tube assembly didn't see anything wrong. put the coil on tube assembly held it and energized coil nothing moved. I don't understand how the steering works

  9. #9LQQKING4U2014-08-21 21:20

    Also when I toggle the steering the platform telescopes out

  10. #10willie592014-08-21 22:59

    LQQKING, I don't have any info on the 33HA. I worked on one years ago, but that info in my head has long since been stowed in a file waaaayyyyy back in my mind. You got some weird stuff going on, and from what you've described, it's not electrical problems, but rather problems with the valve body. In no way can I be certain about that as the info we've discussed is just not enough to be sure. Even though I can't recall the 33HA specifically, most all JLG machines of that vintage had ordinary 12V coil valves for steer, telescope, basket tilt, and basket rotate. Pretty simple stuff. Let's make this real simple; all the coils on that bang bang (that's what JLG calls it) valve body has a common ground wire going to each coil, should be either brown or black wire. That color wire should be at every coil, that way you know which wire is the ground wire. Now, let's work with the steering. I assume you've identified the steering valve section, obviously you have since you stated you swapped the hoses. Ok, let's start from the beginning. There's two magnetic coils for that steer section. We know it will only steer right, not left. Remove the coils from the spools and swap them, reconnect wires. It still steers right, not left. This confirms both magnetic coils are good. Switch the control wires to the two coils (the wires that are not the ground wires), toggle switch works backwards, but it still steers right, not left. This confirms the control wires are good. If this scenario is what you have, you have a problem in the valve body. Could be any number of things causing this, broken springs, fireproof hydraulic oil, etc. If this is what you are experiencing, I suggest removal of the valve body and take the coils off, remove the coil spools, and check the movement of the valve spools. This isn't a difficult task, but pay close attention to things as you take them apart.

  11. #11LQQKING4U2014-08-22 09:30

    thanks Willie, on the movement of the valve spools. I pulled the coil also the tube assembly reassembled in my hand, energized the steering. I couldn't feel any movement, for lack of a better word theres a pin through the tube assembly should it not move? something has to move the valve spool.

  12. #12willie592014-08-22 23:54

    Is it a Racine valve body?

  13. #13LQQKING4U2014-08-23 16:08

    I don't know the brand, left to right I have manuel control lift, articulate, telescope, and swing then this valve. on the coil are # 6003420, 12vdc, d642. This morning I was trying your suggestion of switching the coils. raised the valve assembly up but there was a hyd. hose coming out of a plate on the right side of this valve removed the hose, the nut holding coil on was stick as wd40ed it. decided to move machine to shade put the hyd. hose back on. the steering is opposite to what it was?

  14. #14willie592014-08-24 10:00

    You need to be a little more clear as to what action you took, are you saying you swapped the coils on the steer valve section and now it will steer left and not right?

  15. #15LQQKING4U2014-08-24 15:18

    I had removed the stack of valves to be able to get to coil on the back side. I had to remove a return line from a plate on the side of this steering valve, that's when I decided to move machine to shade. when I checked steering its opposite to what it had been. But know I have a major problem, I need to know where to get parts for this think. Trying to remove nut holding coil on back, I twisted the tube assembly threads off inside the nut. Do you know of a manlift junkyard or some else to get parts?

  16. #16LQQKING4U2014-08-25 12:43

    Got a valve stack off jlg 40 headed to scrap, two of the valves look like mine except theres only one wire to coil instead of two on mine. You think these will work?

  17. #17willie592014-08-25 21:26

    I honestly don't know. It's been so long since I've worked on a 33HA that I can't even remember what components and valves they used. Doesn't sound like a Rexroth valve though, on most of their valves there was 4 long machine screws hold the coil on the spool. I don't know of an aeirial lift salvage outfit, doesn't mean there isn't one out there, just not aware of one. And those particular parts are hard to find, even on current models, you typically have to purchase the entire coil assembly. If you could identify what brand the valve is you might find parts on Ebay or something. :beatsme

  18. #18LQQKING4U2014-08-25 22:34

    Thanks for the help willie 59. The valves are basically the same, 3 bolts holding the stack together. The only difference I found was the hyd. lines the old one had fittings with O-rings the new one had pipe threads. I had to make some fittings, there was also a orffice with a pinhole probley to restrict volume because of the small cylinder on the steering I had to tap a place for these in the fittings. Enough said works good, again thanks very much for the help.