An Electrician friend has obtained a 1978 JLG 40 FRC. It is unique in comparison to the common 2WD tire units as it is equipped with tracks. It is in reasonable shape for its age and is suffering from the normal aged wiring issues and a number of "baling wire/duct tape" repairs. Good news is the Wisconsin engine starts and runs fine. The only boom function not working is the platform rotate (seems to be mechanical, rotates freely by hand). The issue which resulted in it's retirement is the Left track drive is not functioning. The steering is controlled by two sticks on the left side of the controls, one for each track, forward and reverse. It is obvious the previous owners had been having issues with the left sides control as it is partially disassembled and some work around wiring has been performed which was successful for awhile. I have gleaned from reading the posts here that it is equipped with the Racine system, controls and valves. I know also that several of you have Wiring and Hydraulic Schematics you have been willing to share. I am quite sure the standard F aeries and this FRC are very similar. The exception I would suspect is that the FRC has two propel control circuits and hydraulics. So my request is have any of you seen or have in your possession electrical and hydraulic schematics specific to the FRC? And if not , is it possible to obtain copies of the schematics for the standard Racine component equipped F series?
Welcome 4mile! We've got standard JLG 40F documentation but nothing I know of that's specific to the 40FRC. When you've made a for more posts and the private message feature unlocks, message me your email address and I'll send you everything I have.
Thank you. I have seen your handle appearing in nearly all the posts concerning the model 40 F lifts. You appear to be the resident expert.
not all, this is a real group effort. Like Wilie59 has said, I can't believe the number of these old machines still out there in use. 35 years ago when these machines were new, it was an adventure working on them. Now a days you check the obvious, call the Genie tech line and they tell you what's wrong. The fun has gone out of it. I liked working on them.
I started out working for CASE in 1976 doing technical support for the newest backhoe, the 580C. There weren't a dozen switches on the whole machine. Retired from Caterpillar in 2011 as field technical support for large asphalt pavers. The next version of the largest pavers were being released for sale, with no less then 7 computers. You could contact the paver and view all the error codes and do diagnostics any where a satellite could receive a signal. Now I am running a small shop and working with my hands. I like the old machines. None of the new kids want to deal with it if they can't plug in the laptop so it can tell them what's wrong. That's why I got involved with this machine. As I told the owner, "If I can get any schematics for the hydraulics and electrical I can get it running. I like trouble shooting. Anybody can pull a wrench (though some out there take a couple of attempts to figure the correct direction to turn the bolt).
Those of us who are old school mechanics are akin to a veterinarian, we diagnose and heal patients who aren't able to tell us what's wrong with them. Welcome to HEF 4mile. :drinkup I sure hope you have knowledge of Case 580B and 580CK machines as well, you would not believe how often those old machines pop up here.
the golden rule I always lived by was, "you have to understand how something was meant to work before you can even begin to repair it. Otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark". That's all gone out the window these days.
Time to update the situation with 40FRC. This time I have included a picture. The wiring schematics were a great help even thought the terminal indications and most of the colors are not the same. Circuits continuity tested OK. Replaced some wiring and splices at the proportional valves. Removed the Control for the rotate and installed it in place of the left track propel control. Now had both track drive functioning. Loaded onto a trailer moved it to my shop. Gave it a good pressure wash. Closer inspection determined it needed some new boom wear pads. Rewired the connector to the safety pedal, then removed the work platform and removed the platform rotator. Checked the non functioning controller and found the potentiometer had failed, replaced it and the controller works. It became obvious why the platform was rotating freely, the 10 spline output shaft of the oscillator was snapped. The shaft is an integral part of the gear and shattered right at the bearing seat. No used oscillator to be found (Ohio Oscillator is the mfg.) JLG still supplies new replacements, none in stock till late August, $3900+. Chucked the gear in the lathe, faced the broken shaft back to the bearing seat, then bored the gear through. Located a 10 spline-1 1/4" dia. shaft (HUB CITY Mfg., $90), turned one end down to the bottom of the splines, long enough equal to the gear length. Finish bored the gear to an interference fit to the shaft. Coated up both pieces with 380 Loctite, pressed together. Crossed drilled and steel pinned for added insurance. Assembled, installed ,works fine for $120 in parts, maybe 2-3 hours time. Had reached the point of returning the unit to the owner. Was going to move it, right track works in reverse only. Ran jumpers over to the swing controller and propel works fine. Wasn't lucky enough to have another failed pot. The Racine control has the full potted circuit board so it will be difficult to do much testing and repair. Contacted Hindley Electronics but they were not able to determine availability of a replacement circuit board based on the JLG (1600003 square wave generator) or Racine (493889) part numbers. So does someone have a better part number or a different source?
4Mile, I gotta ask........how is the steering controlled on that machine? I've never operated or worked on one with tracks before. Are there two drive controllers?
There are two 2 spool Racine proportional valves, one section for a function (lift or swing), the other for propel. Each is fed by one of the 9.5 gal sections of the gear pump. One section in each valve is connected to a pair of track drive motors (both end wheels of a track are driven) on each side. There are two of the Racine controllers mounted on the left side of the platform operators panel, one for each track. So you push both forward or back to travel straight and change the speed of one track in relation Like I said in the last post, all was working fine and then the right controller has quit. Hindley Electronics did not have knowledge of the JLG or the Racine part numbers for the circuit board for the controller so was trying to find someone who had possibly order using a different part number.
I looked through my stuff, I don't have an Racine controller parts left. I'll see if I can find another part number for you in the "archives".
Have the capability to bread board up a circuit board if absolutely necessary but would prefer not. So I appreciate your efforts.
4Mile, if you search the part number for the whole Racine controller #1600001 you come up with this: http://www.accessplatform.com/JLG-1600001-CONTROLLER_p_2422.html A new JLG #1600001 controller sold on eBay June 15th for $129.00 so they are out there. Part number for just the circuit board (square wave generator) #1600003 comes up with nothing. another option (just ever so slightly outside the box) would be to install PQ controllers made for Racine valves. Part #1600036 Cheaper than the Racine, wiring is the same, uses the same valves/same coils. Feeling adventurous? http://www.accessplatform.com/JLG-1600036-CONTROLLER_p_2436.html
Try Aerial Spe******ts in Racine, Wisconsin. They list a new 1600001 controller for $150.00 and also many of the parts to rebuild one. aerialspe******ts.com Sorry, that's one word that this forum doesn't like, it's the plural for special. I just googled JLG 1600001 controller and found it in the Parts Connection site. Hope this helps you out.
Most likely a word used by a previous spammer and had to be added to the autosensor. Just another way spammers affect the forum.
The replacement controller is being shipped from Racine WI. Thanks "excavator". Also appreciated your help "OFF". Will let you know if the replacement is successful. They had 15 in stock which would indicate it must be a popular item for them.
The spambot caught the word that is the alternate for those little blue pills that help guys keep their booms up when the need arises, LOL :tong Guy points down and sez "See, Alice?" Lady sez "Stop calling me Alice!, WHO is Alice!?"
Received the replacement 1600001 Racine controller today. They (Aerial Spe******t Inc) said it was an identical piece and as the photo shows they were correct. In fact during conversations with Jim he stated they have been building and supplying JLG's replacements. Something you may wish to know is that after their current inventory runs out they will no longer have complete joysticks available. Good news is they plan to continue supplying the 1600003 square wave circuit board. Right track propel works as required now.
Perhaps you might suggest to them an exchange program? Maybe they don't want to mess with it, but it would sure be a service to the machine owners....
We might want to tell them about HEF. Maybe if they read the forums and find out how many of the JLG F series lifts are still out there working they might change their mind.
To me the critical part is the circuit board, the mechanical side of the controls are fine. The new control helped but the one track still is not functioning correct. Loads the hydraulic but moves a part rotation and locks. Remove the track jacked it off the ground and all seems fine with out any load. There are torque hubs on the front and rear drive wheels, rears are equipped with spring applied/hydraulic released brakes. Brakes are releasing completely. Installed a flow meter in the lines from the Racine Control valve (after the crossover relief valve that is in the circuit). At operating engine speed, load valve open, 12 GPM at 500 psi in both flow direction. In reverse, load valve adjusted to 2000psi, flow drops to near 4 gpm. In forward, 2000 psi, near 9 gpm. I had checked valve null previous. Next step is to install the flow meters in ahead and see what the flows/pressures are. Then its time to check the setting on the crossover relief. Also, do any of you have a valid part number for the high pressure filters. There are only a total of 6 on this unit. Two in the same circuits as a FL series and 4 in the drive motor circuits (one on each side of each circuit)
One suggestion, keep in mind that relief valves may bypass oil without opening, had a couple cases years ago where the seats grooved out bad enough that the flow numbers were eerily similar to yours between no load and 2,000 psi, yet you could set the relief cracking pressure quite accurately.