Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 4017 boom chains adjustment

mandula ยท 2015-05-26 12:49

Hello and thanks having me in this forum! I have JLG 4017 telehandler and I have some problems with its boom chain adjustments. The main problem is that boom sections, when fully retracted, are too far separated from each other. Fourth boom section is about 100mm too far from third, and thrird is about the same 100mm too far from second. I have the JLG Service Manual that say that I need to loosen extend chains and tighten retract chains. Extend chains are easy to access and adjust, but I have no idea how to access retract chains as they are inside the rear boom section. Is there any special tools to access these chains or do I need to machine them by myself? Or is it just easier just to unplug rectract chains from clevises and hold locknuts in place and turn clevises to tighten them up? If here is somebody who is done this, please, I would need some advice with this issue. Thanks!

Replies3
  1. #1mandula2015-05-26 13:18

    And to be clear; I do can acces the two outmost chain clevises and I do can place a wrench around one locknut, but there is barely any room to movecthe wrench to get the locknut to move. And the innermost sibgle chain clevis is so far away and also very tight place that it seems to be impossible to even get a wrench to the locknuts.

  2. #2pajibson2015-05-26 19:38

    Service manual doesn't really give you much to go on does it? Do you have a set of crowfoot wrenches? Might one of those help you get there? Pics might help us give you ideas

  3. #3mandula2015-05-27 02:22

    Yea, manual just ssys what to do, not how or with what tools. I'll take some pictures today to clarify the setup and spacing.