Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jlg 40e “procedure fault”

bluegrass · 2013-04-28 09:27

Hi Folks, I hope the Jlg experts out there can help me with this one. JLG 40e worked great until last fall when it just stopped responding. Flash code on controller was one flash, internal fault. Controller replaced, batteries replaced, but unit still will not go fwd/reverse or move boom, (except that all boom controls DO work if function selected and then steer switch applied.) I guess this verifies that the pump and hydraulics are good, but something wrong with controls. I note that the controller flashes 2-flashes when the foot switch is pressed, even if no control input is selected. Strange. Steering function OK, drive motors- nothing. I have multimeters and am pretty good at troubleshooting but I can't figure this out. Any ideas? BG

Replies26
  1. #1VoodooMojo2013-04-28 12:50

    The Steer Override Contactor (pump bypass) bypasses the Motor Controller. When Steer is activated, power for the steer contactor comes from the Steer Output of the Drive Joystick, through a couple diodes and to the Steer Overide Contactor on a Gray/Black wire. This circuit is functioning ok as the steer function is working properly. The FWD, REV, and PUMP (changeover) Contactors, Elevation Limit Switches, Tilt Sensor and Brakes get their Battery + from the 7 Amp Fuse that is located on the Tach Interface Board via the White/Red wire. The Steer Contactor does not. (remember the Gray/Black wire) The Battery - (minus) is provided by the Motor Controller to the individual contactors when selected. Except the Steer Contactor Coil is wired directly to Battery - of the Motor Controller. Without this Battery +, there will be no Drive, Boom Functions or Brake Release. Let's begin by checking to see if there is +48 volts at both sides of the 7 Amp Fuse. If the 7 Amp Fuse has +48 volts on both sides then we will need to check the White/Red wired circuit pointed out in the schematic. Do not overlook Diode D1 on the Tach Interface Board. Check at terminal 16 of the terminal strip of the Tach Interface Board. If there is no voltage at the fuse, then we will need to investigate further upstream. There is also a 20 Amp Fuse on the Interface Board but that is good. If it was not good, steer would not be working. The 20 Amp Fuse feeds the E-Stop Switch. We know that is working. The Tach Interface Board is located in the Drive Motor Compartment just to the Left of the Motor Controller. More about this machine from an earlier episode:

  2. #2VoodooMojo2013-04-28 12:59

    Mods: Can this thread be moved to "other construction equipment......." forum? Tool Carrier people don't want to read about JLGs :bash Thanks

  3. #3bluegrass2013-04-28 13:17

    I'm on it. Please move to anywhere... I just posted here because the search led to the other JLG 40 question.

  4. #4bluegrass2013-04-28 13:47

    OK, here's what I have so far. With pedal depressed and any boom function switch activated, I have +48 at both sides of 7 amp fuse, at terminal 16 of the strip on the tach interface board (with it still plugged in), at the red/white connectors on the drive reverse contactor, and at the red/white connector on the change over relay. (The blue wire at the change over was zero.)

  5. #5VoodooMojo2013-04-28 14:51

    Great! Check for a ground at the Blue wire on the Changeover Contactor when a function switch is activated. Lift Up for instance EDIT: Also, before I forget, Is the Main Contactor turning on? Never mind...thinking in circles...if the Main Contactor wasn't coming on, the Steer would not be functioning...disregard the Main Contactor question ANOTHER EDIT: I see you checked the blue wire already. Follow the Blue wire back to pin 1 of the 17 pin connector of the Motor Controller. It should be energized when a function is selected

  6. #6VoodooMojo2013-04-28 15:05

    The Main Contactor supplies power to the Motor Controller. There should be about +48 volts on the Battery side of the Main Contactor (big lug) and about zero on the Motor Controller side. If the Main Contactor activates, there should be about +48 volts on the Motor Controller side as well. When the Main Contactor is deactivated, the power on the Motor Controller side should slowly decrease back to about zero volts. (Capacitors in the Motor Controller take awhile to discharge)

  7. #7bluegrass2013-04-28 15:09

    Yes, it is -48 in that situatiuon. I can feel it/hear it engage when I remove and replace the blue wire. You are talking about contactor #1 in your picture illustration above, right?

  8. #8VoodooMojo2013-04-28 15:13

    The Changeover Contactor determines if the output of the Motor Controller goes to the Drive Motors or the Pump Motor. There will be power on the Blue wire of the Changeover Contactor when a function is selected and there will be no power on the Blue wire when Drive is selected

  9. #9VoodooMojo2013-04-28 15:15

    # 1 is the Main Contactor # 2 is the Changeover Contactor # 3 is the Steer Bypass Contactor

  10. #10bluegrass2013-04-28 15:21

    OK, we are on the same page. The contactors are labaled incorrectly in my JLG parts book! When pedal is depressed, output of main is energized. I also checked downstream of 200A and 80A fuses, and both are energized with pedal depressed.

  11. #11VoodooMojo2013-04-28 15:27

    Good Follow carefully the pretty colored wires on the drawing of the big lug circuitry. It is easy to get them mixed up. Follow wire for wire with your machine

  12. #12bluegrass2013-04-28 15:48

    WOrking on it. Odd... started with changeover via output from terminal A on controller. Pedal not depressed, output to pump motor is -48 (and zero to traction motors). Pedal depressed, zero to pump motor and -17.5 volts to traction motors(??) Control inputs have no effect on either. I will chase the other wires, too.

  13. #13VoodooMojo2013-04-28 15:55

    Depending the state of motor controller capacitor charge, we can get some pretty funky readings when diagnosing this circuit. The A terminal will be giving out a pulsed (PWM) negative signal when it is driving or lifting.

  14. #14bluegrass2013-04-28 15:59

    Looks like we are on rain delay now. Thank you so much for your help so far. I will get back on it when it isn't raining and continue the saga...

  15. #15VoodooMojo2013-04-28 16:01

    Sounds good If you want, I can give you a phone number and we can tackle this real-time.

  16. #16bluegrass2013-04-28 16:38

    Wow, that would be great. PM me and we will set something up. THANKS!!

  17. #17LiftRage2015-03-03 11:01

    I have been following the diagnostics to the T with exact same problem and same results, my question is did you guys get to a solution? Only difference is my JLG is a 35E. I'm at a stand still I've came back twice to this forum and registered I need to know what happened after the rain delay......please!

  18. #18bluegrass2015-03-03 12:33

    Well, after the delay, almost 2 years went by! I was very surprised to see a notification on this thread after all this time. We ran through a long diagnostic sequence and voodoomojo ruled out some things, but it still wasn't working. I can't recall the exact sequence of what happened after that, but we determined that the used controller unit I bought was NOT working. I bought a NEW controller unit ($$$). Still not working but the error code was different (can't remember how.) I later got a new circuit board (the one in the middle behind the contactors.) No go. I tested the diodes connected to the board and two were bad, I replaced these. No dice. The thing had been sitting for a LONG time by then, so I thought maybe the motor brushes/commutators might be corroded, so I took the two drive motors to the local industrial motor shop; they rebuilt them ($$$$$$). FINALLY, the thing works. I believe the problem was actually a combination of these, so the diagnostic sequence was VERY challenging. Thanks to VDM for his help as it did eliminate some issues. Good luck, Buddy. If you even think there might be an issue with the motors, get them cleaned up and tested.

  19. #19LiftRage2015-03-03 12:48

    Thanks yeaaaa I'm lost, I get no light at all from the controller until I activate the pedal then I get the 2 flashes but I've gone down the same path you have and so far my results are all the same. Only thing I don't get is my boom platform will work rotate while I'm on the foot pedal but only way everything else operates is when I'm holding the steer button I get the bypass after reading this thread but I don't get why only the platform will rotate and nothing else works other then the steering. Thanks again for a response couple years later starting to think I got the same unit you gave might have gave up on! Hahaha!

  20. #20bluegrass2015-03-03 12:54

    No, you got his brother!

  21. #21Hardline2015-03-03 13:24

    Lift rage. There are a lot of people on this forum that will help you walk through your issue if you have A little time. The reason basket rotate work us because it has it's own independent pump and valve there in the knuckle of the basket. Post a new thread with all the information about your machine what it is doing and what you have already looked at. People won't pY much attention to a really old thread. JJ.

  22. #22druzam922016-05-07 19:04

    i have a JLG n40e and i would like to by-pass the batteries and power it up via a single phase supply. is it possible? does anyone know the voltages and currents that the JLG n40e runs on ? regards

  23. #23Fordmodela2016-09-25 16:00

    I also have a 45e jlg, my 7 amp fuse keeps blowing so only the steering works. Any ideas.

  24. #24Bruce Kirk2018-10-12 12:19

    I have a JLG 40 E model with similar issues... everything works except it will not move forward or reverse..well it will move two or three feet then stop.. and a hour to two it will do it again??? crazy help?

  25. #25Bruce Kirk2018-10-12 12:23

    Oh... it flashes #6 which is faulty drive hand controller, but I think it might be the DC Motor Controller au 1830 (N). Does anyone know where to get one?

  26. #26AAK2024-08-20 16:58

    Dear readers, we are the Kemperman family from Vijfhuizen in the Netherlands and work with a JLG35e/1997. This machine showed identical malfunctioning symptoms as described in the previous text. All functions of the aerial platform were perfect when operated from Ground Control, but NO reactions from the machine when operated from the basket (only the steering function and basket swing worked well due to a different power line). 2x Flashing Sevcon. Spent 3 days searching for possible defects as described by VooDooMoJo – (a great guy by the way who provides so many solutions via this forum!). Measured all underlying control points, voltage and signal were OK. In this way we solved many questionable connections and oxidation on various relays….nothing that really provided the solution for the failures from the basket. Finally everything worked properly again after replacing the entire joystick. So there was no power and signal from the basket to the pump relay. The machine now also responds perfectly to all buttons on the control panel from the basket. Hopefully you will find support in this story. Good luck with the repair.