Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 40H w Ford & Zenith carb: choke electric characteristics?

BrownBear ยท 2020-03-13 13:04

Got a Zenith 15080, Ford part # F8JL-TA, with an electric choke. Removing the carb for cleaning, the choke terminal thumbscrew was seized and trying to force it loose I felt something snap inside the choke. Opening it I found fragments of a plastic stop for the terminal bolt head and two very delicate coils one of whose leads was ripped off. I gingerly stretched out a couple loops of the broken coil to fashion a new lead and used a blob of epoxy to take the place of the stop (see photo). I don't really understand the operation of this electric choke but presumably those coils are heating elements. I feel a bit unsure about my hack but thought I could at least compare its electrical characteristics against spec. I measure 16 ohms between the terminal and ground, seems like that's the resistance of the two coils in series. I thought I saw the expected resistance in a troubleshooting doc somewhere, but can't find it now. Does anyone know what resistance a good electric choke circuit should present?

Replies3
  1. #1walkerv2020-03-13 13:23

    No clue but if it doesnt work you can buy new from jlg for almost 400 bucks or here is a much more affordable link . https://norfar.com/collections/carb...ducts/zenith-c162-95-automatic-choke-assembly I would stick it on and make sure iy works still, and yes it is just a small heater , of it still heats it should be fine .

  2. #2BrownBear2020-03-13 17:30

    At ambient temp 65F, if I apply 12V to the terminal, the choke gradually goes from fully closed to fully open in about 1 minute. Seems qualitatively right anyway according to my reading on electric+bimetal chokes, so I'm going to call this a successful repair.

  3. #3walkerv2020-03-13 20:56

    Sounds about rite to me and if your repair breaks well you got a link for parts now