I hope someone can help me with this. I was running all the hydraulics stop to stop, and the basket would not rotate all the way to the right. And now it is stuck full right. I can hear the motor click when the switch is selected, both for left and right. And it seems to move about an inch when left switch is selected. So I'm hoping it's just stuck or air in the line or fixable. I topped off the hydraulic fluid and it's just above the bottom fill line. I greased both fittings at the pivot points. I put a tow line on the basket and brought it tight with some force, and then tried the switch. Nothing has helped so far. Is there a way to manually center the hydraulic motor? I think I'm going to have to break a line loose which I wanted to avoid. So can this be fixed without opening up the hydraulics? Thanks in advance.
I think I've found where the valve is located. I've found from the parts manual, 4 Stack (With Rotate) (August 1992 to Present) Can anyone tell me which valve is for the rotate motor? (If it is actually located with these other valves) And can this valve be actuated manually by pressing in on the solenoid? Or any other way? Would anyone be able to tell me which valve is which? I don't have anyone tonight to press the switch while I listen. Boo-hoo
OKay, The hydraulics have pressure and the valve works both ways. This much was complicated for me, but I see a more complicated discussion below: JLG 40HA basket won't rotate started by rbcanaday, Dec 27, 2015. After looking over the platform parts diagram Does anyone have any words about how to unlock this brake without tearing it down completely? This looks awful.
SOLVED! I had the idea to raise the machine and try to get the basket hanging upside down as much as possible, and then try to rotate it. That really didn't work. But then I thought I would try to extend the machine to all it's limits and try to rotate the basket. This did work. I raised the tower all the way up, then completely lowered it back down. Then I raised the main boom all the way up while the basket was all the way up and auto adjusting itself as the main boom raised. At the very top extension, the basket rotated back normally. Thank goodness I'm a lazy mechanic, actually just reluctant. I did not want to tear this thing apart. It's been nice talking to myself.
If you find that it stops working again, my JLG40H had a similar behavior and it was a sheared roll pin in the worm shaft coupled to the hydraulic motor. Worked intermittently for a while and eventually failed to work altogether. An easy fix once you figure out what the problem is.