Hello, I left this machine sit to long, and now I'm screwed. There was a big hornets nest inside the platform control console, no bees luckily. Any way, everything works fine from the ground station, but when I flip the platform switch, it throttles down for a few seconds, 2 or 3 very briefly, then dies. I'm lost and would like to see if anyone has some trouble shooting ideas. I have opened up the foot switch, and it is very clean inside, evidently remaining sealed properly. And it clicks like something is making and unmaking contact. I haven't put a meter on it or anything yet. I'm guessing there is a relay somewhere but have no idea where to start. I have all the manuals. It's a 1996 ford dual fuel. Thanks very much.
Welcome to HEF stone7. :drinkup You need to do some testing with either a meter or test light. Turn ignition on at lower controls, flip select switch to upper controls. Check terminal 34 at lower control box terminal strip for power. If good, go to platform controls and check terminal 34 of terminal strip for power. If good, check E-Stop switch for power and proper on/off operation. If good, check that power is going through circuit breaker and sending power to terminal 33 of terminal strip.
First, I can't tell you how much I appreciate your ideas, Thanks. I've got 12vDc at the lower panel terminal 34. ✓ I've got 12vDc at the upper panel terminal 34. ✓ I had to hunt around for a ground, but I think it still counts. Next I tested terminal 33 and there's no voltage there. So, I'm in the process of testing the E-stop switch. I've unscrewed the two holder screws and removed the red knob. I'm not sure if I can test this with the wires attached. So I'm going to take the wires off, wire brush them up, test the switch, and reassemble if it tests good. I'd post a picture, but I don't know how. imagine picture of E-stop switch here... My upper console box is rusted out pretty good, I'd like to find a repairable used box and transfer everything into it. If anyone knows where I might find one? I thought the wires were connected with big cannon plugs, but I see now that these connections are simply weather tight fittings. That's a bummer. imagine picture of rusty box here... Thanks. BTW is contact cleaner spray, or any other product, any good in this situation? I've had proportional controllers stop working before, and by removing the wire from the bus bar, and cleaning it up, and just reconnecting, brought back the controller to life. So I think basic corrosion might be most of the problem. This thing is fairly nasty inside, with corrosion, bees nest residue, and water. I've air hosed it out good. But some type of magic cleaning spray would be great. Didn't mention before, it has proportional controls, 2WD.
Alright, testing the E-stop switch. There are two similar switches ganged together, with terminals 1 and 2. I can't get any continuity between either side. Am I correct in thinking that with the knob pulled out, there should be continuity between terminal 1 and 2, on both sides? In any case, in or out, there's no continuity. There's only two wires going into this switch, can I temporarily bypass this switch by connecting them together? I only want to move the machine away from my door. Thanks again.
OK, nevermind. I've looked up the two switches, Contact Block ZB2-BE102, and they are one contact, normally closed. So the E-Stop switch, breaks the contact between these 2 wires, shutting down the machine. I hope.
Nevermind again, My E-Stop switch is now a little screw and a nut. For the time being. And everything works from the platform except the tower control. I'll take it! For now. This has been mildly terrifying for me, pathetic, but terrifying. I'm just kind of amazed that this simple switch failed completely. I kind of didn't believe it for some reason. But the jumper confirms it, and the meter wasn't lying. OK, I've ordered a new switch for $22 plus almost as much for shipping. The individual contact components go for $18 and 2 are needed. I've never understood how things are priced. Go figure. Thanks again w59.
Sounds like you're describing a Telemacanique contact block, those things are bad about crapping out, used to keep a supply of them on my service truck. You can buy those, as well as many other control parts, from Hindley Electronics in Bowling Green. > https://www.hindleyelectronics.com/ BTW, are you talking about tower boom raise not working, or tower boom extend?
Yes - Telemacanique contact block The Tower Boom via the Tower Lift cylinder, will not extend. It works OK on the lower controls. I think I can swap the white plug over to another top proportional controller to troubleshoot.
Yep, if it's proportional control at platform, you can switch harness plugs to another know good controller and test it out. Keep in mind, if everything is working properly, the tower boom extension should not extend until the tower boom is fully raised. Likewise, the tower boom should not boom down until tower extension is fully retracted.