Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 450a wiring problem causing it to die mid air

bigboytoy ยท 2015-07-07 21:35

I have schematics which helps .....from basket only....I am not sure but it seems I have too much voltage drop when I engage controls and it will die ....or it goes ahead and raises 30 ft or so then it dies and can't be restarted from the basket.

Replies4
  1. #1bigboytoy2015-07-08 08:12

    I suspect the quick connect under the platform control box ....mainly because it fit too good...so I cleaned up the female side of the connectors with a 1/8 backwards spinning drill bit and applied connector grease...it seemed to limit the voltage drop to 10.4 volts when using a function...I got to wait till I get help to actually try it or I may get stranded at 30ft.

  2. #2bigboytoy2015-07-09 07:50

    I bypassed main power up with an external #10 wire...it fixed it...the bypass would maintain 12+ volts even under a load...when the voltage drops it does all kinds of weird things like work controls backwards for a moment, die and have a timeout? goes ahead and works until the wire gets flexed were it was bad then it dies....I would guess that the #12 wire is stretched at some point or burnt and now is the equivalent of a 18 gauge wire...the fix was use two 16 gauge spare harness wires to beef it up....when it comes to wiring problems what a pain I spent at least 25 hours on figuring it out....thats with no experience...good luck to anyone with these problems.

  3. #3willie592015-07-09 23:20

    Not an uncommon problem on any aerial lift machine. Typically it's a fault with the cable that runs down the boom from the platform controls to the lower box. Over many years of the boom going up/down and telescoping in/out the wires inside that cable begin to break down from the constant flexing. A workable temporary fix is to do what you did, use some spare wires in the cable. At some point you're going to have to replace those cables, something that has to be done to any aerial lift with any age. If you do that, make sure you choose a cable that's designed for constant flexing, typical SO and SJ cable is not. They will work, just not as long as a cable that is designed for flexing. And get a price from JLG, you'd be surprised how their price compares to other vendors for the proper cable.

  4. #4bigboytoy2015-07-10 08:52

    well JLG is 15 yrs old and the main power up wire failed thats it for now...its a #12 wire most of them are #16 ...there is also a 110v line that has 3 #12 wires that I can use so I have more options besides replacing the whole cord....I just pulled 3/8 lines and the wire bundle cord is 1.25" or 1" ....I have a feeling that would not pull very easy...so I am avoiding that for now....I just test ran it again and it passed and functions are under control slow or fast ...It was a pain to figure out because the last mechanic for it had messed with all adjustments and disabled the boom up switches...the company gave up and auctioned it off...it sold below market value for mechanical issues and age reasons..thanks for the help!