Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 45HA – Problem with upper controls

knares · 2016-04-23 07:25

i have a jlg 45 ha boom and it is having some issues. all the controls on the ground work perfectly. the platform controls work some time and others takes some trickery to get them to work and other times they just dont work at all. thats me to has anyone had any luck fixing there problems

Replies31
  1. #1knares2016-04-24 06:52

    Hi all I would like to ask if anyone can help The problems were intermittent but now they are permanent I have bought a manual and i have two other wiring diagrams but mine is different to all of them. I found these numbers under the engine cover 4821127 with a 6 stamped over the 7 or vice versa 1744 7-96 1 1 From the ground control, everything seems to work OK From the basket, the engine can be started and stopped as normal The foot control seems to work OK; i have had it to pieces and tested it, it has power The Swing, Main lift, Tower lift and the drive, don’t work. The High engine, Pump volume, Wheel speed are not getting any power, so don’t work. The rotate doesn’t work The Main telescopic and the steering work OK Any help would be appreciated

  2. #2willie592016-04-24 10:22

    Welcome to HEF knares. :drinkup I think we should move your posts to a new thread that's all yours. If you're ok with that I'll take care of that for you. I'll wait for you to respond back here before I do that, then I'll move your posts and delete my reply. Let me know.

  3. #3knares2016-04-24 20:19

    yes OK

  4. #4knares2016-04-25 04:27

    thanks

  5. #5willie592016-04-25 19:20

    Done. :drinkup

  6. #6willie592016-04-25 22:37

    I don't know what's up with the differences you see in your diagrams compared to the machine you have, perhaps something to do with an Australian version? I don't know if there's a difference with a North America and an Aussie version myself. As for serial number, the North American JLG boom lifts start with 03000, then the s/n, like 0300021445, maybe they do it different for the machine down under. Aside from that, sounds like you've go some testing to do. All functions work from lower controls. Swing, boom lift, tower lift, and drive does not work from upper controls, boom telescope and steer does work from upper controls. I take it swing, boom lift, tower lift, and drive are all proportional controls? If yes, are these controlled by PQ controllers? BTW, again, I can't verify on an Aussie version, but on JLG machines of that vintage, as far as the N America machines are concerned, JLG stamped the s/n in the lower frame. I can't recall for sure where they stamped it on the 45HA, and sometimes after a machine has had a few freshen up paint jobs it hides this stamped number. Just saying look the lower machine frame over real good for a stamped number.

  7. #7knares2016-04-25 23:02

    I take it swing, boom lift, tower lift, and drive are all proportional controls? If yes, are these controlled by PQ controllers? yes i do belive they are i could be reading the wireing diagram wrong. In one diagram which i got from the agent, it shows 5 wires going to the PQ controller, in another, which I downloaded from the net, it shows 6 and in a manual i got from Canada it shows 7. My machine has 7 but it differs in other ways

  8. #8willie592016-04-25 23:09

    I don't have a pic handy of the 45HA upper controls, but this is a pic of the 40H upper controls, kinda give you a look of the PQ controllers for the proportional functions. I'm fixin to hit the rack here, but I'll look into this tomorrow, see if we can figure out a way to sort through the wires in a way that we're communicating from the same page.

  9. #9knares2016-04-25 23:40

    yes, they are the same type of controls Those numbers i gave must have meant something else Just saying look the lower machine frame over real good for a stamped number. Looked everywhere, couldn’t find it, found it now Serial no 038038 0300027513 year 1997

  10. #10knares2016-04-26 04:36

    I don’t know if it is being intermittent again but some things are working, i haven’t tried the drive yet, i have to change the caps round. The main lift, swing and the tower lift is working. I disconnected what i think is the level control and those things worked, i reconnected it and they still worked. At the moment the motor is running fast and won’t slow down

  11. #11willie592016-04-26 21:46

    Drat, I forgot to ask, is this a Ford gas engine or a Deutz diesel? Good to hear you found the serial number, some times that's important for ordering parts. Intermittent problems can be tough to troubleshoot. In your case, since all the functions work fine from the lower controls, but are problematic at the upper controls, the first thing you need to do is check voltage at the upper controls. If you get excessive voltage drop from bad wiring or bad connections, by the time you send a voltage signal back down the boom it's dropped off so much it's insufficient to power up solenoid valves. Assuming it's still wired up using the original JLG colors, the main power should come to the platform on an 12 gauge orange wire at terminal 34. The power then goes through the E stop switch, then to the circuit breaker. Power splits off at circuit breaker, sends ignition power back to lower on blue wire terminal 33, and it sends power to the foot switch via orange wire. Very important, if you have good 12 volt on the orange wire going to foot switch, when you step on the pedal, you should now have good 12 volt on the red wire going to terminal 37.

  12. #12knares2016-04-27 01:03

    Thanks for your comments willie You have now got me thinking about voltage drop. deutz diesel This morning, i am back to where i was before, except that the engine is running at high revs. Yesterday when things were working, i pushed forward the High engine, pump volume and wheel speed switches, nothing happened, then i operated the drive lever and the engine went to high revs It didn’t drive because i had the caps off the drives, now it is staying at high revs. However now it is running at high revs, when i operate the Tower lift lever, i can feel it kick. If i operate it say 15 times, it lifts about 2 inches, there is a point, about a quarter of the travel up where it lifts, i can’t hold it in that position, i only get it as it goes through that point. It lowers down normal I was thinking it might be a faulty switch and i would think there is system where you cannot operate two switches at once, so this might be affecting the other switches, making them in operative. Now you mention voltage drop, that might be why i cant hold it in that position where it works. I will check the points you mentioned while holding the lever in the lift position

  13. #13knares2016-04-27 07:24

    Hi again There are no terminals 31 to 36 inclusive, no 37 is black, no 38 is the red one, 14.19v, and pedal pressed 14. 19v. The voltage to the control on most wires is 13.8v The orange wire has 3.25v when the lever is in the up position, 0 in any other position, yellow and black on the switch The brown wire has 3.25v when the lever is in the down position, 0 in any other position, white and red on the switch the grey wire has 0v any position, white and grey on the switch the black 0v thanks

  14. #14willie592016-04-27 22:23

    Ok, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to help because the way your machine is wired up, it's not matching the diagrams for that machine and therefore it's going to be difficult at best for us to get on the same page. Perhaps and Aussie machine is wired different? Perhaps it was simply wired different by a previous owner who either didn't have the diagrams or didn't care about it being proper. I just don't know in either of those cases. But if that platform box resembles what I see on the diagrams, with ignition on and you step on the foot pedal, you should have nominal 12V on the center terminals of the toggle switches, and the same on terminal 3 of all of the PQ controller circuit cards. If you don't have 12V at those points you're going to have problems with operations.

  15. #15knares2016-04-28 04:17

    it has taken me a week to work out which pin is no three, the connector has three rows of three pins, no3 is the middle pin, i think. Terminal 3 on all of the PQ controller has no power. we are in aprill and in april we have april showers, love it but three times to day i have got wet

  16. #16willie592016-04-28 20:12

    Let's try this, the way the PQ controllers "should" be wired: Terminal 1: Wht/Brn, Ground circuit for the controllers Terminal 3: Wht/Yel, 12V power supply to PQ controllers and all toggle switches, should power up when you step on foot switch Terminals 5 & 6: colors vary, Terminals that control a particular function, i.e., swing controller, terminal 5 is swing left output, terminal 6 is swing right output Terminal 7: Gry/Wht, Power input from creep switch on terminal 7 puts controller in creep mode, reduces controller output for slow operating speeds The drive controller should have an additional connection to terminal 2, Wht/Yel wire. That terminal is a power output terminal when the controller is rocked off center, being operated, it sends power to the toggles for Wheel Motor Speed, Pump Volume, and Hi Engine (throttle).

  17. #17knares2016-04-29 07:24

    Hi, i had no 3 pin wrong, so i am still not sure I have no white and yellow wires I have power to a pin on all the PQ controllers The main lift, swing and tower lift are the same supply, white and blue wire The drive supply is a white and red wire The rocker switches, steer etc all have power The toggle switches, engine speed etc, have no power but as i think as you say they only get power when the drive control is actuated Question Is there only one power wire going to each PQ controller. I would have thought that there would be some sort of circuit that, when any one PQ was being used, the others would be disabled, i can see that when operating the drive control but not in the others. I have searched the net for a diagram on these PQ controls, no luck If a PQ unit was faulty, would it disable the other PQ units and stop them from operating I have contacted my local agent about having them tested but they tell me they have no way of testing them. At the end of the day, whatever is the fault, it must be common to the PQs as they are the only things not working do you know the location of relays no R2 and R3 thanks again

  18. #18willie592016-04-29 20:33

    I can see with the way your machine is wired it's going to be awful tough for me to help, just no way we know we're on the same page. I assume one of two things, 1) an OZ JLG is wired different than a North America machine, or 2) someone in the past re-wired the machine but didn't have access to the JLG drawings and the color coded wires that JLG uses. I wonder if you could re-wire your box according to the diagrams available in the manuals? Even if you have to use different color coded wires, at least use the diagrams as a map. The PQ controllers should share the same power source, and you can operate them simultaneously, that's normal operation. Likewise, if one controller goes down, it doesn't affect the others, their outputs are independent. The R1, R2, and R3 are 14 terminal ice cube relays in the lower control box. They look different compared to the Bosch 5 terminal black cube relays in the lower box.

  19. #19knares2016-05-01 08:03

    Thanks for that info will ii have been trying to find that relay for some time I understand your thoughts on the fact that you can’t help me as we don’t know if we are on the same page but your thoughts and comments are valuable to me and sometimes send me off in another direction or at least confirm my thoughts I have found a diagram of the PQ unit, its not much good to me as i don’t understand it but it dose have a diagram of the plug and each pin is numbered. So i know which pin is No 3 and No3 is the one with the power.

  20. #20knares2016-05-02 03:30

    the wires 5 and 6 from any of the PQ controls have only about 3 volts, No7 has 0 at the same time No3 still has 12v

  21. #21willie592016-05-02 19:12

    You won't see 12V on 5 and 6. Those two terminals are the function outputs of the controller. The output on those terminals is Pulse Width Modulation, or square wave, it happens so fast you can't see 12V checking it with a meter. Terminal 7 of the controllers, if it's used, is a 12V input from an external/separate source. In the case with this machine, it would be a wire from the creep (snail) switch. When you flip the creep switch it sends 12V to terminal 7 of the controllers, this input reduces the control output of the controllers (creep mode) for nice slow operations when you have the basket close to things.

  22. #22knares2016-05-02 23:59

    The output on those terminals is Pulse Width Modulation, or square wave, it happens so fast you can't see 12V checking it with a meter. O’ the plot thickens If i am understanding the wiring diagram correctly, relay Ri, terminals No9 and 10 are common to both basket and ground controls for the Main Lift. Bearing in mind what you said about not getting a proper reading, As i only have a volt meter In basket mode the terminals read about 3 volts and two of them try to work In ground control mode they read about 6.5 volts and everything works

  23. #23willie592016-05-03 20:47

    If you're new to reading JLG diagrams of this vintage I can assure you it's a learning experience. And I've even found errors on JLG diagrams, don't recall if there's any on the 45HA diagrams though. JLG refers to R1, R2, and R3 relays as "Select" relays. They're used to select upper or lower controls for the main boom functions and opposite of that they "lock out" the control station that is not selected. In other words, when you select "ground" controls, R1 R2 and R3 connects the switches in the lower controls for main boom functions to their respective valves, at the same time they "disconnect" the upper control switches or controllers from said function valves. They prevent main boom functions from being operated from both platform and ground controls at the same time. R1 controls main boom up/dwn and tower boom up/dwn. R2 controls tower telescope in/out and boom swing left/right R3 controls the dump valve for proportional valves and the dump valve (block valve) for the bang valve functions. Platform level, platform rotate, and platform steer are not routed through the select relays R1 R2 R3, neither is the drive controller as it only has a control for drive at the platform. I don't know what voltage one would see on the outputs of the PQ controllers, like I said, can't really test PWM with a volt meter. One could test outputs by measuring milliamps, but you'd have to know the desired value in milliamps, and it would require a jumper harness to connect the meter without cutting wires to tap the amp tester in the circuit. As for the outputs at ground controls, the functions that are proportional controls at the platform, i.e., boom lift, tower lift, and boom swing, operate at a reduced voltage output via a resistor that feeds power to those toggles in the ground control box, you won't see a full 12V output at the lower controls for those respective functions because of that resistor. Other functions, platform rotate, platform tilt, etc, you would see nominal 12V output on the switches.

  24. #24knares2016-05-15 08:22

    hi, thanks willie, can you Identify these relays for me(R?), If i disconnected the PQ from the harness and ran a wire from pin NO3 (12v positive) to pin No5 or 6, do you think it would do any damage (hot wire it)(give it a full 12v)

  25. #25willie592016-05-15 21:34

    If that's the upper control box I have no idea what all those relays are doing, never seen that before on a 45HA and I don't see them on any diagrams. I've never put a full 12V on the output wires that are connected to a PQ controller, pin 5 & 6, so I don't know what would happen. The result would most likely be movement so fast it would be uncontrollable, even the lower controls for proportional functions (boom, swing, etc) don't apply a full 12 volts with the toggles because the power is routed through a resistor to reduce the voltage going to the proportional control valves controlled by toggle switches.

  26. #26knares2016-05-16 22:47

    I haven’t tried a full hot wiring it, because my thoughts were the same as yours

  27. #27knares2016-05-16 22:50

    Those relays are in the parts book at the agents

  28. #28willie592016-05-16 22:54

    If that's the upper control box, and you see those relays in some form of parts book, then I can only conclude there is a difference in North America machines and versions built for OZ because I don't see any relays in the upper box.

  29. #29knares2017-01-02 04:19

    well I have been busy doing other things and we have had to manage without it but i am going to have to have another go at it as it wont fix its self

  30. #30Charles Whiddon2018-01-24 10:01

    Willie I have a JLG 45 HA when in creep mode the main boom will not lower I have to put it in rabbit to lower the main boom the boom will raise in creep mode. I changed all the PQ controllers and adjusted them as per information found on this forum. Can you give me an idea of what to look for? I tried to start a conversation with you but I guess I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Thanks

  31. #31Cameron Sinclair2021-06-14 02:30

    Does anyone have a clear readable wiring diagram for a JLG 45HA machine??