Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 460SJ

snakeknuckles · 2025-10-30 15:44

Hello All: Back in 2017 I posted questions about upgrades I could do my JLG 40H... I did a few with mixed results and finally decided to to upgrade to a 2015 460SJ. It is a nice machine in really good condition but as usual I am not happy with the design function: 1) My new one is 4wd but is not much better than my old 2wd because JLG still splits the flow with simple/non compensated flow dividers so now instead of having one wheel spinning, I have one wheel at each side. Why in the hell can't they add a traction control/diff lock function so that when one wheel starts to spin it locks in the other...Oh well! The new problem I am having is the ecu is programmed to not let the aerial functions work if all 4 wheels are not near perfectly levelled. My old 40H would just warn me with a light that I was in out of level condition but not disable the controls. I had a JLG mechanic try to decrease the sensitivity of the out of level lock out condition but they said no way to either change or bypass the level sensor. Their solution is to move the level sensor from the rolling chassis to the basket and then just keep the basket level. It works but... I would rather just have the out of level sensor send a warning to remind me that I am working on a slope. Does anyone know if their is a way to reprogram the ecu just to warn rather than disable functionality?

Replies4
  1. #1Vetech632025-10-30 15:50

    Doing this is bypassing a safety feature on a manlift. That's a huge NO-NO. If the machine is ever involved in an accident and OSHA finds anything safety wise disabled........you can kiss everything you own goodbye. JLG would have to sponsor an update which is unlikely to happen.

  2. #2snakeknuckles2025-11-02 16:36

    A very typical response but not helpful… consider this however I am an experienced owner operator / engineer and seen and done probably as much or more than anybody and understand the limits of these machines probably as well as the engineers who designed them) Which is safer: crawling up a ladder to the top of the windmill to service it or going up by in the basket of the Jlg. But the slope at the windmill prohibits the machine from sitting level… unless you park under the power lines ( they’re only 13KV… which is how I have to do it without disabling the level sensor… or disable the level sensor and park the machine on a slope keeping the boom angle acute and watching all the wheels anyway and knowing if I were to boom out to full height and or make an obtuse angle… my children would soon be selling the farm… Thanks for your help

  3. #3Vetech632025-11-02 16:56

    I suggest you contact JLG technical services and explain your plight. No one is going to give you info on how to bypass a limit switch being a safety item. If the manufacturer helps you, make sure you have evidence of it.

  4. #4snakeknuckles2025-11-02 18:47

    Yeah no that’s why I came here. JLG sucks for getting help on any level… oh well