Hi all, I am working on a 2005 JLG 460SJ. The rotary oil coupling needed rebuilt, so in lieu of pulling the entire assembly out of the machine, I pulled all hoses off the top of it, removed the snap ring off the bottom, and pulled the center out. After putting on new seals and putting everything back together, the steering is very weak. Will hardly move the wheels unless the machine is rolling. Also have trouble with steering drifting to one side while driving longer distances. I cracked a hydraulic line to each side of the steer cylinder and it does not appear the circuit has air in it. And speaking of driving.... low speed drive also does not work anymore. Drive speed selector switch can be in any position, and oil flow to the drive motors remains the same, only varied by engine RPM. So my questions: as all of this worked before I pulled the rotary coupling apart, would a seal getting messed up during reassembly have caused all this, or is it coincidental? At the steer cylinder, there is a steady stream of oil at a cracked fitting as long as the engine is running, with no control inputs; is that normal? Any thoughts appreciated!
SOUNDS LIKE A ROLLED/PINCHED SEAL WHEN YOU REINSTALLED THAT SPOOL INTO THE BARREL. DID YOU HONE THE BARREL ANY ONCE YOU REMOVED THE SPOOL? IT'S GOOD IDEA TO BUT I'VE REBUILT SOME IN KNUCKLEBOOM LOG LOADERS WITHOUT HONING THAT WORKED FINE. MAY CAN TRY REMOVING SNAP RING FROM BOTTOM AND PULLING SPOOL BACK OUT COUPLE INCHES THEN RESEATING IT AND FINDING A SHIM OF SOME SORT FOR THE BOTTOM ON TOP OF THAT SNAP RING TO GIVE IT A TIGHTER FIT ALSO GIVING THOSE PORTS SOME FRESH METAL TO SEAL TO AS IT WOULD BE SITTING SLIGHTLY DEEPER IN THE BARREL. JUST SOME THOUGHTS FOR YOU ALTHOUGH THEY WOULD HAVE HELPED MORE 11 MONTHS AGO I'M SURE LOL