Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 60F questions/problems

76chevy4wd ยท 2012-10-25 13:54

I have a few questions about a JLG 60F if anyone can answer them. I purchased a 60F that has a few issues, and I am going to try to get the main one resolved before I haul it home, its 70 miles away right now. I have searched for information here and have not found anything specific to get me on the right track. I am not sure if the 40F information applies or not. This machine is a 60F with a wisconsin v4 and its 2wd. I do not know which controller/valve combination it has. Main issue: WHEN YOU DRIVE THE MACHINE, THE BOOM LIFTS QUICKLY. The machine operates from the ground and everything works pretty much like it should. From the basket the controls are messed up. It has been outside, so I assume some of the toggles are junk. Boom will go up but not down, telescope does not work, swing works, and when you drive the boom raises quickly. Since it is trying to lift the boom when its trying to move, it doesnt seem like it has enough guts to drive like it should, likely due to running two functions at once. I am worried that if I don't get this fixed it won't have enough power to climb up the semi trailer. So I am assuming this issue could be one of two things, either the boom lift solenoid is getting power while the joystick moves, or there is a hydraulic route crossed up. So, I was going to try to disconnect the boom lift solenoid and hope that will fix the problem enough to get it loaded. If it is a hydraulic issue, does anyone know of a common place to start? I will listen to any ideas/suggestions. Basically, if I can get it on the trailer, I will be able to go through it when its home. I also have not been able to find any manuals or wiring/hydraulic schematics. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Replies6
  1. #1OFF2012-11-17 21:00

    Welcome 76chevy, sorry I totally missed this thread until now From what you discribe, I'd say the lift valve is is either way out of a adjustment or stuck in the "up". It would really help to know what kind of valves you have on your 60F. I have some 60F schematics, no manuals though. The 60F had extendable axles so more than likely your telescope problem is tied into the axle override switches or the slip-rings above the hydraulic swivel. It also prevented the boom from being raised above horizontal without the axles extended but that may have been "rigged" to work by a former owner. If you're still out there, we'd like to hear from you. Get three posts in, PM me and I'll send you what I have.

  2. #2willie592012-11-17 21:49

    Hmm, that's curious, the boom raise fault only happens when you drive, operating other functions don't affect boom raise. I would be inclined to think if boom control valve was faulty it would raise boom when working any of the proportional functions, not just drive alone. Very curious indeed.

  3. #376chevy4wd2012-11-18 15:58

    Thanks for the replies. Here is a quick update. We got the lift loaded on the semi and it is now home. We ended up disconnecting the solenoid for the boom lift cylinder. With that solenoid connected, the boom lifts as soon as you step on the foot switch in the basket. I am guessing/hoping that the boom toggle switch on the control box is bad. I haven't had much time to mess with it, but it would be nice to have a set of diagrams. We spent a couple days working on it before the semi came and there were some wires broke so now most everything works except the boom lift problem. And to clarify it is not the telescope function that is the problem, it is the boom lift. The telescope function now works as it should. I can't post attatchments, so if someone wants to see photos of the controls and valves feel free to send me an email at [email protected] Thanks guys

  4. #4OFF2012-11-19 09:25

    well, if it only screws up from the basket that's a good sign. If it was a valve problem the boom would start lifting on you as soon as you switched it to ground control. Sound like you have a basket lift controller problem.

  5. #576chevy4wd2012-11-22 10:39

    OK, here are the pictures of the controllers and valves. Hopefully OFF will be able to identify which variety I have.

  6. #6OFF2012-11-22 11:59

    Racine valves. Good stuff. That drive controller however does not belong there. It's output may not be compatable with your valves, causing the "auto-lift" problem. Check the output on your controller - should be a green wire with white stripe and a red wire with white stripe. #13 & #14 on the basket terminal strip. With you foot on the foot switch and the controller moved just off center you should see approx. 5 to 6 volts. As you move the contoller one direction the voltage should increase smoothly, in the other direction it should drop from center to 1 or 2 volts.