Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG 60HA crank issue

Pugs ยท 2018-07-31 14:38

I have a '96 JLG 60HA with dual fuel ford LRG423 engine. Had a failed spark control module so have now done an EDIS4 and megajolt conversion rather than the $2500 ford upgrade parts. Got that all installed and have spark again, but it wont crank when in LP mode, just the LP cutoff solenoid will open and nothing else. If I put it in Gas mode (which hasnt been used in years) it will crank and after a couple seconds I can switch it to LP mode and it will crank there for a few seconds then quit and wont crank again until I switch it back to Gas mode. I'm at my wits end trying to follow the blurry electrical schematics in the parts manual I downloaded from JLG. Have replaced the Start cutout relay behind engine as well as the other one next to it (ign power I think). I know if I jumper the start relay wires that would connect when relay is fired the engine will crank as soon as the disconnect key is turned. I have checked that the fuel select switch seems to be functioning normally and the vacuum switch also seems like it is working properly. If I could get it to crank then I can start working on making it run with the new edis system. I did always have a problem before though where if it didnt start right away from the basket i had to reset the estop and it would crank right away but after a few seconds it would take right off. Any thoughts on what to look for would be most appreciated, thank you for your time.

Replies2
  1. #1Pugs2018-09-02 14:42

    I still have not been able to get this to crank when dual fuel switch is in LP mode. It cranks fine in Gas mode, will not do anything in center position and in LP mode the LP solenoid will actuate and thats it. Any suggestions?

  2. #2OFF2018-09-02 17:51

    Well, it's been my experience in dual-fuel aerial lifts, that 99% of the time, the problem is the fuel toggle switch in the basket. I would open the basket controls, and check for power at the crank push-button when in gas mode and when in LPG mode. If both fuel modes power the crank engine push-button, we've eliminated that portion. Changing the ignition driver really shouldn't affect the cranking, unless somehow there is a wire from the propane system giving an "engine is running" signal to the module that is preventing cranking. Most of the 60HA stuff I have is for a diesel engine, but I'll check Tuesday when I get back to work and see what I have for Ford gas.