Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG boom lift Help

Edypaul · 2020-11-09 08:54

Can anyone help me identify this boom lift. I need a manual for it I thought it was a 40f but it does not have proportional valves.

Replies15
  1. #1Edypaul2020-11-09 08:55

    More Pics

  2. #2excavator2020-11-09 14:20

    Looks like a very early 40F.

  3. #3southernman132020-11-09 18:24

    OMG too funny. It’s definitely a 40. I’m sure I’ve loaded and unloaded that machine many times. That was purchased by high reach in Orlando. I worked there 4 years. Not long after they started. That is one of the numbers in the side for identifying the lift. 40590 means 40’ lift 5’ basket machine number 90. Lol. Looks like a boat anchor at this point. Not making fun but 40’ in the air is no joke. Someone could get killed or worser lol

  4. #4southernman132020-11-09 18:27

    Matter of fact I bet I built that basket. I used to build new baskets when the old ones were bent up. That looks like one I built. Doesn’t look factory. Factory baskets had tighter bends. I bent my tubing with a Greene lee conduit bender

  5. #5Flat Thunder Channel2020-11-09 18:35

    It's interesting how often this big world can be so small at times. I like the lift, but it looks like she could use a lot of love. Maybe give it a complete and thorough inspection before climbing in the operator seat. The last lift I worked on was a platform scissors lift that was retired from an airport. I helped someone rewire the entire control panel she was a mess. It too had a wisconsin engine. They are great power units! In troubleshooting a brake issue I contacted the original manufacturer. They are happy to share important safety bulletins and things to check on the lift. It wasn't JLG, but I bet they would share similar info. Maybe reach out to JLG for important service mods or necessary upgrades. I wish you safe and happy lifting!

  6. #6southernman132020-11-09 18:47

    That’s the issue. That book would never be usable per ansi/osha. It would need to be completely disassembled and be gone through. It’s not worth that. Believe me it would cost a fortune. People don’t realize these things when they purchase them. I’m not even sure anymore what the rules are but like every ten years they have to me torn down. Personal use your on you own or u want to use it but just looking at it and it’s age I wouldn’t trust anything about it. Like I said 40’ is a long way up. So many things can go wrong. Not much in the way of safety was available back then. Wiring harness hoses cylinders etc all need to be replaced. Just a few things but many more as well. It’s quite different than an old dozer or tractor etc. if they break u just get off and and walk away possibly. Having something let go in the boom and falling 40’ wouldn’t be no fun. U could buy a running newer unit way less than u can begin to fix that one. Believe me I’m all for fixing stuff up and saving money but going up is another level of worries

  7. #7excavator2020-11-09 21:38

    Like I said in your other post, go to "The JLG 40F Boom Lift Dilemma" lots of info there on these old machines.

  8. #8Edypaul2020-11-10 08:36

    It is a small world! This lift will only be used on my property. I belonged to my neighbor. I have been using it for over three years. It has had many hoses rebuilt . I built my barn with it. He was not very good with wiring and such but I am. Im also a Machinist and a welder. Im looking forward to fixing up the old girl. I would still like to get a hold of a manual. Thxs All Ed

  9. #9Edypaul2020-11-10 08:36

    PS I live in Florida!!

  10. #10southernman132020-11-10 09:00

    Call high reach in Sanford they’re back in business. They may be able to help u. I sent that pic to one of the salesman. I know all them guys up there. I worked for them 4 years then went to another lift company Then started my own lift company o 1992. I’ve since sold to sunbelt rentals. Good luck!

  11. #11Edypaul2020-11-10 10:36

    Thx Southernman . For the info !!

  12. #12Edypaul2020-11-12 14:24

    Well I called Sanford High reach. The service manager informed me that a month earlier they had thrown away all there old Manuals. (Damn) Oh well. I sent a message to JLG In hopes that they can get me a Manual. I doubt they will help me. They probable do not want there old equip out there.! Ed

  13. #13southernman132020-11-12 15:32

    That’s what I was thinking all of them would be concerned with the age of the machine

  14. #14excavator2020-11-12 16:08

    For the third time, if you really want a manual go to the post "The JLG 40F boom lift dilemma" and you will likely attract the attention you need. There are several people there who can send you an electronic manual. I have most of the paper manuals that I had scanned and put on a disk but currently I am not able to send any.

  15. #15Edypaul2020-11-13 07:24

    Got it Thx Ed