Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG DEF delete/bypass

MNWrench ยท 2022-08-11 09:53

I've got a JLG 943 telehandler that has been sitting in my yard for 3 month now due to a bad DEF header. The part is on backorder for infinity right now. Has anyone come up with a way to bypass or delete the DEF system on these? I realize it's illegal and all, but I can buy a delete kit for every pickup in my fleet, but can't seem to do anything to get this machine up and working again.

Replies6
  1. #1Txhayseed2022-08-12 21:36

    What codes are you getting. ? Its not illegal to bypass the def header as long as the system is still operating. So if you got poor def quaility codes, sender issues ect and as long its related to the def header alone the EPA now allows for a patch that will not remove the machine\vehicle from service for any def header related issues for this very reason. Shortages of components ect. You would have to contact your local Cummins dealer and they will have to come out to your machine and install the patch into your e cm. Depending on what code your getting you might be able to work around it yourself. Let me know what your codes are. With all the lawsuits right now and with the very public crack down on car show hosts and companies that provide or used to provide these service are shrinking every day. People are getting gun shy really quick.. Our def header failures/ def related failures went from crazy amounts to maybe 2 or 3 every couple of months and those are customer related. Usually. We still have a random header failure every once in a while. But for the most part they have the systems dialed in now with little issue. Who did you try to get the header from ? Jlg/ cummims ??

  2. #2MNWrench2022-08-15 09:43

    The codes are 3364:10, 1569:31, and 5241:00. So DEF level code, and 2 engine derate codes. I got the same thing back in December and chased it down to being a bad DEF header. Replaced that, and it worked fine. Lasted about 6 months and code came back again. JLG service department is telling me that this is a very common problem and they currently have 8 of the DEF headers on backorder for different customers. I did find a diesel tuner shop nearby that says they can reprogram the ECM, but you're saying that Cummins should be able to install a patch?

  3. #3MNWrench2022-08-15 09:57

    Just got off the phone with my local Cummins shop. They have the ECM patches available for OTR trucks, but nothing for this engine.

  4. #4Txhayseed2022-08-15 22:58

    Thats not good news. Have not replaced a Def header yet on any of our newer jlg telehandlers. Last actually def header I replaced for a header failure was a few months back. You have a derate and def quality code. If I where you and assuming you actually don't have contaminated def I would pull the def header out and inspect it. 90% of failures are the prism sensor not getting return signal. In the past with hit or miss results when the def header shortage 2019 struck we had some luck soaking the header in boiling hot water and windex and the polish the heck out the signal reflector. They claim that even if you touch it with your fingers the oil on your skin can cause the connection between the beams to become interrupted. Who is you Cummins dealer ?

  5. #5MNWrench2022-08-16 09:18

    Cummins NPower in White Bear Lake Minnesota is my local dealer. I did pull the faulty sensor out and soak it overnight in distilled water, read that trick somewhere. I will try it again with the hot water/windex combo and see if it works out, what have I got to lose, right?

  6. #6Txhayseed2022-08-16 19:13

    Let me see if I can find the info on the patch. They may only be doing otr now. Ill have to look into that. To my knowledge they where doing all Cummins supported equipment or where when the info started circulating. There are companies out there that sell def quality sensor bypass devices. Ive never tried one but a lot of fleet operators are running them. By the letter of the law your not disabling the the after treatment system since everything still works minus the sensor. You can google those and several will come up.