Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

jlg lift

dcarson ยท 2015-09-28 19:50

Hello. I'm new here I hope this is the right spot to post this. I have an olddddd jlg 437 boom lift with a Wisconsin gas and propane engine. It has an electric choke mounted to the exhaust which I think is the reason the lift isn't running. It starts if you run the choke by hand and may run for awhile after it warms up but dies under a load. I can't seem to find the lift listed anywhere let alone the part. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies2
  1. #1willie592015-09-28 20:33

    Welcome to HEF dcarson. :drinkup I've never even seen a JLG 437. Does it run on Propane as well? Not a lot of detail in your post, but it sounds like you have to have the choke at least partially engaged for the engine to keep running, no? If so, it may be less of a problem with the choke and more of a problem with the carbureator, and you can probably pick up those parts from a Wisconsin engine parts supplier.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-09-28 20:50

    This might help: http://www.wiengines.com/public/static/wm/images/catalogs/accessory/chokes.pdf Near as I can tell, the wire is supposed to get power when you're starting the engine and there's a solenoid in there that gives you full choke. When you release the starter button or key, you get partial choke, which opens more as the manifold heats up. If it's dying under a load you may need to adjust and/or clean the carb main jet for gas. You shouldn't need the choke for propane?