Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JLG Platform Panel, Symbols are all worn off.

stone7 ยท 2013-07-28 17:52

I was wondering if someone would answer a few questions about my panel. I don't quite understand what's supposed to happen, and so, I'm not sure if my machine is acting right. What is item #2, I don't have this? What is item #5, same? Item #3, if this does anything more than speed, what would it be? No idea what item #4 is supposed to do? No idea with item #1, but I think this is idle high, idle low. But what is the symbol supposed to be? I usually just flip switches until I get something useful. Plus, all my symbols have worn away, and so it's hard to remember after I work for couple of hours and get exhausted. Thanks.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2013-07-28 18:21

    You can download operator manuals from the JLG website. That should tell you everything you need to know.

  2. #2stone72013-07-28 18:34

    Yeah, I've got the manuals, and I've read them. But the machine doesn't seem to work. So I need a little expanded version of what's supposed to happen and why. The number 4 turtle switch doesn't seem to do anything on my machine. I'm just asking if anyone want to chirp in on this. Thanks for telling me to read the manual.

  3. #3barklee2013-07-28 20:53

    The #4 turtle is for your drive function, it puts it in super slow motion. I believe #1 is your engine idle speed, #2 is the hydraulic pump speed, #3 is the high/ low drive speed, #5 is the axle lock light which tells you the axles are extended. Not telling you what to do, but i would really consider replacing the placard for the control box. Thats a good way to get someone hurt or tear up something.

  4. #4willie592013-07-28 21:28

    Agree with Barklee, you should replace that panel. Actually, to be in compliance, you are required for that panel to be legible. And Barklee took a good guess, but I need to correct a couple; #1 is engine speed, low/high throttle, high engine works for drive, high engine will cut out when boom is above horizontal. #2 is pump output. You're machine may not have this option depending on what type of pumps it has. #3 is drive motor speed, changes position of the swash plate inside the drive motors. #4 is creep switch, as noted, gives you a very slow (creep) speed when working with boom at long extension. #5 is engine distress lamp. again, option you may not have. typically used on units with Deutz diesel engine.

  5. #5robin yates uk2013-07-28 21:31

    I usually just flip switches until I get something useful. Plus, all my symbols have worn away, and so it's hard to remember after I work for couple of hours and get exhausted. how can you use your machine safely if you don't know what button does what?

  6. #6stone72013-07-29 10:21

    Thanks very much. And you're absolutely right about the safety warning. I'm going to repair the box after I get my roof finished. I want to completely remove it and sort of do body work on it and restore it, but I need it before hand. I don't ever raise the tower, and I only use it up to one story against the spouting on my garage roof. And I go back and forth. I could almost hang drop out of it at this height, but I also have a ladder nearby as a backup. The thing is just so handy, even if it's a little sick. All functions work from the ground station, and the box was pretty reliable until the bird nest incident. This cute little bird went through my E-Stop switch hole and completely filled the control box with hay and mud. After picking and air hosing for an hour, I was ready to get the shot gun. That tiny little b*****d also has an enormous ear splitting chirp. I couldn't shoot him though. The wildlife don't even fear or respect me.

  7. #7stone72013-07-29 10:32

    This is the exact detail that I wanted to know. Thanks seems like not enough for your good answers. And gentlemen, I intend to repair this control box at the earliest possible. I'm going to try to do a little picture story as I do it. Thanks.

  8. #8stone72013-07-29 10:49

    I think the symbols weathered off just this last year. And when everything worked, I didn't really pay attention to the symbols. As far as safety, this thing either works or it doesn't. I don't think it will start acting by itself and do uncommanded movements. But as I said below/above, I plan ahead and have ways of getting myself out if I get trapped. And I don't use it alone or at great heights. And lastly, that's kind of my business.