Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Job Interview

92U 3406 · 2018-12-11 23:29

Believe it or not, 10 years wrenching and I've never had a formal job interview. Well that's about to change. Any tips anyone can provide? This will be for a major company and I'm fairly certain I won't just be sitting around, shooting the breeze with the owner/forman/leadhand. More than likely an HR manager of sorts. Thanks in advance everyone!

Replies59
  1. #1Numbfingers2018-12-12 03:05

    Be ready to explain why they should hire you. Also do a little background reading on the company and work that into your interview to show that you're really interested. Don't forget, you're interviewing them as a potential employer as well so have a few questions ready.

  2. #2funwithfuel2018-12-12 06:48

    Some interviewers try to needle you to provoke a response. Kinda try to get under your skin. Some will lay out a hypothetical situation and ask how you would handle it. Some do the cop thing, try to befriend you to get you to lower your guard. The challenge is, what kind of person is doing the interview. A solid old hand, whose been there, done that or a shirt and tie guy out of college who has no idea what your job would entail. Some things have no place in an interview. No politics, no personal beliefs stuff like that. Kinda like Christmas with the in-laws BTW ... GOOD LUCK!

  3. #3Vetech632018-12-12 06:54

    I've been self employed too long now. I would fail an interview horribly.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-12-12 07:01

    If it were me I’d go in like this....... That being said I wouldn’t sweat it too much. Be polite, don’t bs them. They need you worse than you need them. Mechanics are in very short supply! Good luck!

  5. #592U 34062018-12-12 09:24

    I should mention that I technically already work for the company, I'm just trying to transfer over to a different position in a different part of the business. I still have to go through the interview process though. I did look up the person doing the interview and he seems like a pretty decent fellow. Any ideas on what would be appropriate to wear? I'm thinking a nice pair of dress jeans and a nice button up shirt. Want to look good but I'm interviewing for shop mechanic, not a corporate position. Don't see how wearing a nice suit would help (might even be a hinderance).

  6. #6colson042018-12-12 09:26

    Certainly be prepared and research the company you are interviewing with. Websites like glassdoor.com have reviews of a company by it's employees, or former employees, and can provide a lot of information about work conditions, management, and even what their interview process is like. I used this method when I landed an interview with Schlumberger to find they have a very unusual 2nd round interview. So when I got the 2nd interview invitation, I wasn't surprised at what they put us through and was able to breeze right through it. Also, Silence is acceptable after a question while you formulate a response. I'm not talking 10 minutes of silence with a blank stare, but a brief pause while you form a solid response is acceptable and shows you thought through the question and didn't just blurt out an answer or stutter and stammer your way through it. That said, if you do have a ready response, answer the question and keep the interview moving along. Absolutely have some questions ready, and if you arent sure what to ask, google is your friend. Reserve compensation and benefits questions for the 2nd interview, unless they bring it up. There will be time for negotiations after they are convinced that you are THE candidate to hire. Try to let them initiate negotiations and make the first offer.

  7. #7colson042018-12-12 09:30

    Hmm, didn't see your last post. As for appearance, well groomed, clean, wrinkle free clothing. Fresh, clean pair of jeans, collared shirt, belt and proper posture will come off better than a suit. Thats actually what I wore to all of my interviews with Schlumberger. I interviewed for a Field Engineer position, not a desk job so I felt a suit and tie were distinctly out of place given that circumstance.

  8. #8wornout wrench2018-12-12 13:51

    I had way too many interviews during my career. I usually got the job I was trying for. I would say the Number 1 thing is to stay cool, don't get all uptight about the job. If you can go into the interview relaxed you will do much better. You already have a decent job, so if they decide on another applicant, will it affect how you feel about your employer? Not having to need the job should make it easier. Just be yourself, don't put on airs to make yourself look better. Be honest and polite. They might ask you some questions that make no sense to you, sometimes these are asked to see how you react, not so much for the answer. Take a second to think about your response, but not too long. If you have water or something, take the time to have a drink and think about what you are going to say. I have found one of the standard questions is "Where do you see yourself being in X number of years" Have you thought about the future? Now is your chance, if you like the company, tell them and give them an idea what you would like to do with your career. HR keeps track of this kind of thing. Maybe you don't get this job but you might have impressed HR and at some point they might have something else that comes along. As the others have said, dress in nice clean clothing. Jeans and a nice shirt. Spend some times on your hands and try to get the grease out from under your nails and such. My hands never came clean. I wore them as a badge of honor, proud that I use my hands to keep my family feed and the world running. But I always got them as clean as I could for an interview. Go in and be yourself. Don't try to be who you think they are looking for. Good luck.

  9. #992U 34062018-12-12 14:00

    All great advice everyone. Thanks!

  10. #10Trashman2018-12-12 18:11

    I have interviewed people for jobs since 1985. Since that time I have developed interview questions that tend to get me the people I want. These questions pertain to a Director of Utilities but could be adapted to any job. If you can answer these questions about the job you are seeking, you should have no problem. Good luck!!! Education/Experience 1. Briefly tell us about your education and experience that qualifies you for this position. 2. Tell us about a new program that you initiated. How did you get buy-in, educate and implement the program in the department? 3. What is your greatest weakness? What have you done to overcome it and improve? 4. How do you involve staff when an important strategy decision needs to be made? 5. What particularly attracted you to this job? Job Knowledge 6. How many years have you worked in the water/wastewater field? 7. What is the best job you ever had? What made it the best? 8. Give an example of the most successful negotiation you participated in and why it was successful. Give an example of the worst negotiation you participated in and why it was unsuccessful. 9. When I contact your last supervisor and ask which area of your work needs the most improvement, what will I learn? 10. Have you ever had a conflict with a supervisor? How was it resolved? Finance and Control 11. What is the largest budget you have been directly responsible for creating and managing? 12. Give an example of when you were asked to cut expenses. How did you determine what to cut? 13. Have you been successful in acquiring alternative funding for water or wastewater projects? Give an example. Problem Solving and Analytical Skill 14. What is the worst work decision you ever made and what did you do to correct it. 15. What was the hardest decision you have made as an administrator? Are you proud of the decision you made? 16. Describe a situation when someone challenged a decision you made. How did you respond? 17. What is your view about the role of the city when it comes to economic and residential growth – specifically in providing utilities? What are some names of the developers that you have worked with in the past? 18. Have you ever had to follow a policy you didn’t fully agree with? What did you do? 19. Evaluate this statement: The boss is always right…. 20. What motivates you? What frustrates you? Leadership & Employee Relations 21. What is your leadership style? Give examples. 22. Give an example of how you built bridges with other agencies or organizations where there was tension or distrust? 23. Turnover within the water and wastewater departments suggest low morale. How will you asses this challenge and address it? 24. What are your professional core values and how do you model those? 25. What kind of employee recognition efforts or programs have you created and implemented? What were the results?

  11. #11funwithfuel2018-12-12 18:16

    Well, ...... I didn't get that job.

  12. #12ianjoub2018-12-12 18:50

    That had better be a $1m+/yr. job with additional incentives or I wouldn't be bothered answering those questions.

  13. #13Vetech632018-12-13 06:44

    What if an applicant has facial tattoos? Yah?...……….or Nay?

  14. #14thepumpguysc2018-12-13 08:11

    I like to go to job interviews after a hard nite of drinkin, smelling like booze.. If I get the job.. I know what to expect & where I stand.. hahaha Facial tattoos.. What is the worst decision you've made.?? {#14}

  15. #15Junkyard2018-12-13 08:23

    Look for the MS13 tats. They’re good workers and surely here legally!!

  16. #16DMiller2018-12-13 10:11

    Basic established interview responses, when asked a question you cannot answer explain you can't and why, if can and do make sure NOT to embellish as is considered same level as a lie, be pleasant do not show protection body language(crossing arms and or legs tightly) or anger, Do NOT slouch or cross legs at all but sit comfortably once seated. Explain those aspects of your capabilities they ask of that depict a positive for the job in question. And for whatever reason DO NOT JOKE around, be careful with any responses to seemingly ask for a joke answer, respond with 'Pardon?' or 'Excuse me?' to off topic directions. And yes I interviewed A LOT as changed positions a lot in the 80's/70's, interviewed as contractor for side work, did interviews for additional staff and was schooled on interviewing in the 80's by the company I worked for as the HR department did NOT understand my department's functions and had in no way any clue as to what to ask prospective's so left it up to staff members

  17. #17thepumpguysc2018-12-13 10:22

    Catch-up old man.. he didn't get the job.. Lol When I went for those "corporate" job interviews.. 2 & 3 call-backs.. they didn't know what to ask me. AND TOLD ME SO.. The place was a production line outfit.. & they've never interviewed someone w/ my capabilities before.. It was rather humorous.. They were use to> anybody that could read & write & had 2 hands was hired to do production work.. After the 2nd "call-back" & having to take off work & drive 200 miles R/T.. I waited about a week & I called their HR.. Asked them IF I had gotten the job or should I "put this behind me" & start looking elsewhere because "I'm ready to make a move".. THAT lite a fire under their azz's & I was hired the next day..

  18. #1892U 34062018-12-13 17:46

    Interview went really well. Conversation flowed really well and the interviewers seemed fairly impressed with my answers.

  19. #19thepumpguysc2018-12-14 08:25

    OH SORRY DUDE.. I was lookin at FWF's answer.. #12.. I gotch u guys confused.. GOOD LUCK,, & SORRY Miller..

  20. #20DMiller2018-12-15 06:49

    Not been a issue PG. Just let it flow and LOL!!

  21. #21crane operator2018-12-15 08:49

    I just interviewed a guy this week. I was needing a little temporary mechanic help while one of my guys is hurt. Mid 50's guy, decent resume, not everything I could want, but good enough. I had put in my ad "Pre employment drug screen" and "part of DOT random pool". I've got my DOT numbers and need him to be able to drive my pickups at least. Early in the interview he commented that his resume has some spotty work history, cause he used to be a party animal. Switched jobs all the time and took months off on the beach. Really hard stuff, but he's all clean now. I don't care, I'm just short a guy for 3 months. He says he's all straightened out, been clean since his 11 year old daughter. Clean drivers record- everything's good. I get to the end, and I'm going to hire him, until my other guy is back. I say the next step is the drug test. Well, it turns out -clean isn't really clean. He at least didn't go and make me pay for the test. He told me he smokes the wacky weed on the weekends, and sometimes during the week, to help him relax and for medical issues. But - I should know its legal now in most states. If I wait 30 days, he can take the test then and will probably pass, but he won't pass right now. So- for him, the discussion of his current drug use, wasn't a great job interview discussion, but at least he didn't make me spring for the drug test. Glad your interview went well 92U 3406, good luck.

  22. #22thepumpguysc2018-12-15 08:59

    WOW.. that's to bad C.Op.. But anyone who volunteers that kinda information, seems awful proud of it..?? Its no surprise he wasn't clean.. Just have a look at the Craigs list ads in your area & type in DIESEL & hit "jobs".. Its gotten to the point that some employers are HI-LITing the words.. DRUG TEST.. & go on to say.. IF you cant pass> DO NOT APPLY.. I guess a lot ofm are getting sick & tired of paying for tests, only to have the taker fail.??

  23. #23funwithfuel2018-12-15 09:26

    I don't think it's just by crane op , pump guy. Everywhere you go, these knuckleheads think cause its legal, you have to overlook it. I remember seeing a news story for a grocery guy. Maybe a year after Colorado legalized. He couldn't find anyone with 2 brain cells left that could legally operate a forklift in the warehouse. He had to advertise out of state. Now everyone is getting in on this, saying Oh it'll shore up our shrinking tax coffers. ***, I see to myself. The gov't is giving in, to potheads, no less. I guess their money is just a little greener than ours.

  24. #24thepumpguysc2018-12-15 10:26

    I know whatcha mean.. Another thing about the "tax" on it.. Colorado said they bought in millions/billions to the tax base by legalizing it..& I assume some of that money went to the Fed. Govt.?? & w/ all these States legalizing it.. WHY is it the Govt is broke.?? SS going bankrupt in 10-15 years.. Its just another sham.. like the 1cent sales tax for a new road.. so now the new road is built but the 1c tax is still in effect.. & now its 1c MORE for something else.. The MORE u GIVE, the MORE they spend..

  25. #25funwithfuel2018-12-15 10:28

    They're talking 25-30 cents a gallon here, God only knows what they will do to diesel

  26. #26Junkyard2018-12-15 11:03

    It’s always a shell game with taxes. Here in OK what really started the clusterf**k about 10-12 years ago they changed certain revenue streams to go to general fund vs schools or highways. A few years later various accounts are in the red. So for schools they do the lottery....guess what!?!? Didn’t help much, if any. Idk where the $ is coming from but they’re building bridges like hell won’t have it. Probably the reason teachers are underpaid and schools are short of supplies! They legalized weed here. Just what we needed! I seriously doubt we’ll see any positive cash flow for years, maybe a decade. All the govt oversight will cost a fortune and take forever. If you have to pull something out of your *** to bridge a budget gap maybe you should take a step back and investigate what got you in a jam to begin with... Rant over haha

  27. #27funwithfuel2018-12-15 12:00

    Our union Local 150 pushed hard for safe roads ammendment in partnership with other locals iirc. It passed. Basically it locked all monies put aside for roads and infrastructure so these jag-bags couldn't dip their greasy mitts in there for their pet projects. This was common practice, misappropriation of funds. Unions got tired of it.

  28. #28terex herder2018-12-15 14:03

    So many think legal at state level means legal at federal level. Sure not so.

  29. #29DMiller2018-12-15 14:28

    Still fall back to my ignorant sis in law, STILL not got her license back, has not been as yet caught but Drives EVERY day regardless as she thinks having the ticket released her somehow. Also still smokes the crap and cannot pass the screen to get license returned SIX tries as of now and insists will find that magic potion cure all that will get her a pass without quitting.

  30. #30DMiller2018-12-16 09:50

    Really does NOT matter legal or not, Med or recreation the use of a substance that impairs judgement or coordination is NOT allowed by insurance or Safety codes in the workplace. Some LEGAL pain Meds can still get a CDL put on hold or rescinded at certain levels or excess use. Drug testing for cause and effect is NOT going away in good jobs anytime soon.

  31. #31thepumpguysc2018-12-16 10:25

    Your a buzz-kill Miller.. Lol..

  32. #3292U 34062018-12-18 19:56

    Well I just sent back the offer letter. Signed, sealed and delivered! Thanks for the advice folks!

  33. #33Junkyard2018-12-18 20:12

    Awesome! Congrats!

  34. #34crane operator2018-12-18 20:20

    Good for you.

  35. #35thepumpguysc2018-12-19 04:42

    Way ta GO.!!! Our little boy is grow' in up, Paw.. {sniffle. sniffle}

  36. #36Trashman2018-12-26 18:20

    As long as you don't scare women and children, I'm okay with it.

  37. #37old-iron-habit2018-12-28 22:43

    The government is the potheads in most cases.

  38. #38Sberry2021-02-23 09:25

    Some of the best mechanics and operators I know could smoke one right after another. Not advocating use but this has become a political issue and leverage, I was bossing a company and they got a nickel to put in place a program cost a dollar and cost them their best help.

  39. #39Sberry2021-02-23 09:32

    Er rooms full of Jack Daniels and Budwiser users.

  40. #40DMiller2021-02-23 09:34

    Local company here cannot get operators for a quarry, tried but none would even take the tests to see if could pass guess was knew they could not. A Weld shop not too far away dropped drug testing, had some major flaw failures erupt where warranty work did cover but one injured a person, when asked of drugs in workplace testing they said did not, lost suit closed forever.

  41. #41Truck Shop2021-02-23 19:04

    DM-people keep bringing up or taking about jobs-the need for jobs. How about people that will work. Nobody want's to work, it's stressful, it's tiring, takes stamina, will power, courage, a goal to fill, wear and tear on skin, face it it's too much like work. Why do it today when I can put it off for a week and maybe by then someone has done it for me. The object is not to lose weight it's to gain weight, Pass them Taters and butter I've got some work to do.

  42. #42Raildudes dad2021-02-23 19:22

    I was friends with a project manager who was constructing a frack sand processing plant. He was tasked with finding plant and equipment operators. 75-80% of the applicants failed the drug test. It wasn't like it was a surprise. He discussed it during the interviews. WTH? This country is going downhill fast. From printing trillions of $$$ to folks either not wanting to work or recreational drug users. I've had several surgeries and the surgeons want to know if your partaking.

  43. #43Truck Shop2021-02-23 19:32

    We've had three old drivers that were random checked and all three failed. Ages 63 to 66 one pot the other two alcohol. Now I noticed more random pee tests and they always happen after 34 off.

  44. #44Old Doug2021-02-23 20:01

    Maybe it will get so bad that some one will put up with me just working part time. I can only hope.

  45. #45skyking12021-02-23 20:34

    I had a pre-test at this job, and waiting for the "random" from the DOT pool of 1

  46. #46Truck Shop2021-02-23 20:39

    I always tell'em give me a gallon jug because once I start I can't stop.

  47. #47DMiller2021-02-24 07:33

    Was like that at the nuke Take vacation get ‘random’ screen as got back They hear you had a car accident random screen next shift In the garage at East St Louis was only Three of us I was random screened four weeks in a row the one lone African American mechanic we had was screened once in a year. Did not matter to either of us other guys we did not use anything. Idiot lineman got a DUI came to work and reported license taken showed ticket. He got sent home, argued that a DUI in his personal car could not affect his CDL both at work and in court. Lost his job over that.

  48. #48John C.2021-02-24 09:55

    When I was asked to go to work for the local Cat dealer, they said I had to go for a drug test. I told them that was OK, but I only wanted the good stuff. I have a friend working for a construction company locally. He was complaining about the fact that he was likely one of the few that never did any kind of drug that wasn't prescribed by a doctor. Yet, he was always the one getting the random drug tests. Someone finally told him that he was picked because the company knew he would pass.

  49. #49Truck Shop2021-02-24 14:25

    One major problem most all workers have is spending money they don't have. Employers love employees that are up to their eyes in debt. Employees would have much more leverage if they would stop over spending and work to clear their debt. By doing that the employer has very little strangle hold. If He or She knows your upside down he or she knows who's holding the cards. Everybody has wants--but is that motorcycle, boat, snowmobile, ski high 4X4 and or that fancy house worth it. Remember it's hard to find a frying pan or stove big enough to cook a harley.

  50. #50skyking12021-02-24 15:32

    Yes I never understood that mentality of having to be toyed up right to the limits. We lived our lives being able to pay all of our bills whenever I was on unemployment. My wife had a great job besides that, we were just frugal.

  51. #51Truck Shop2021-02-24 21:40

    If a person is carrying only a small or no debt load and if they are pursuing other/different employment they have less stress and make better personal decisions. And will perform better in a job interview.

  52. #52Welder Dave2021-02-25 14:54

    About a week ago a guy was pulled over in snowy driving conditions going 201KM/H in a 110KM/h zone driving a Honda Civic. Turns out he was class 1 driver. I'd think his truck driving career might be over. Professional driver caught speeding 201 km/h east of Edmonton in dark, snowy conditions | Globalnews.ca

  53. #53DMiller2021-02-25 17:52

    Every boss I had KNEW I was not in a bind or in urgent need of employ when went in for interviews. Some would ask if was still working and always noted had enough to keep busy. Tools paid for up front, was buying housing and fixing up places among other odd work. I could skate a month or two before would need to actually look but nearly always had something aligned long before ever left a place. My after hours work was spotty, would run insane for a few weeks then dry up like a bad piece of firewood last another week or two then resume insanity. Was really proud of the fact only ever drew ONE UI Check EVER and that was returned as went back to work that same week it arrived.

  54. #54skyking12021-02-25 20:58

    That was not an option doing dirt work. It was the career that chose me, but the dozers and scrapers stop for a while in western Washington every year. I got into the excavators and had longer runs, but even then some jobs are just a wee bit sensitive.

  55. #55Sberry2021-03-02 07:06

    I liked to work when I had a real job and didn't wanna miss time but had no problem with the easy check either.

  56. #56Sberry2021-03-02 07:09

    I liked to work when I had a real job and didn't wanna miss time but had no problem with the easy check either. Back then a drug test was during lunch in the van on the way to the beer store.

  57. #57Nige2021-03-02 10:09

    In a former life as an expat at the Cat dealer the saying around the company was "Don't **** Nige off - he might leave....." I always made a point of letting them known that the Mastercard in my back pocket would buy me a ticket to anywhere, that same day if I felt it was necessary. I got to thinking and the last job interview I ever had was in 1996. Usually all I get is a phone call saying "Congratulations. You're hired."

  58. #58John C.2021-03-02 11:02

    I never got a congratulations, you hired call. "It was always when can you start?" The last time I was an employee, I wrote a simple resignation letter that said your fired.

  59. #59lantraxco2021-03-02 12:04

    Well, the old cowboys used to say "I gave my notice when I hired on." pretty well sums it up, lol.