Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deer 1973 2010 Hoe

nathanbbi ยท 2013-07-23 13:51

Just purchased my first machine ever and it seems to be leaking plenty fluid from the front end. The person I purchased from said it was the power steering pump and I should just keep filling with fluid. If it is the power steering pump whats involved with replacing? The machine might be old but it works perfect otherwise. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1leisureexpress2013-07-23 14:08

    Does it look like this? http://www.johnnypopper.com/weirddeere/NG/PicPages/2010I10.jpg

  2. #2nathanbbi2013-07-23 15:11

    John dere Backhoe 1973 YES :exactly

  3. #3roynetedge2013-07-26 15:18

    You might want to ask for help from the manufacturer's product support itself. Here's a link to its official site - http://www.deere.com/wps/dcom/en_US/corporate/our_company/contact_us/contact_us.page

  4. #4leisureexpress2013-07-26 15:34

    It looks like the JD 2010 tractor / industrial tractor is from the 1960-1965 era. It looks like power steering was an option, so I don't know if you have a separate power steering pump, or if the PS gets it's pressure from the main hydraulic pump. My dad had a 4010 farm tractor throughout the 80's and I spent plenty of time on it, but didn't become ultra familiar with it's workings unless something broke - it had PS. This link should get you into the parts schematic on the John Deere website - you may have to search "2010": http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt Sorry, I can not help more. Maybe a close up picture of the area that is leaking would help others to chime in with some worthwhile input.

  5. #5bowen2013-07-26 21:27

    Get all the hoses, cylinders and whatever has oil on it cleaned up with some degreaser. You will find the leak(s) if it is that bad. It could be something simple like a hose, but my guess is a cylinder that needs to be replaced or rebuilt.