I am working on diagnosing a crank no start with intermittent starting. Sometimes when you crank it over it will randomly start and purr like a kitten (normally a long ways into the cranking) . 95% of the time though it just cranks over, no smoke. I have fuel filter replaced and fuel primed to the pump with no leaks and no air being pulled in, still no start. I also pulled the air filter and gave it a snort of ether to make sure it was a fuel issue, still absolutely nothing. I’m at a total loss.
Machine's complete serial number please. Does temperature make a difference (either air temp or engine temp)?
How many hours and how does it sound cranking over? Have you tried a boost or jump pack? Sometimes, when the compression gets lower and batteries get worn, it doesn’t turn over fast enough, to build enough pressure up. Try some WD40 instead of either.
It’s got a lot of hours on it. It’s got brand new batteries on it as well. It almost seemed like an electrical problem till I realized that it’s got fuel(ether) air and compression( I assume) and it still didn’t start. Is there anything else that would keep it from starting?
Have you checked the injection pump solenoid for voltage when it won't start ? There may be a fault in the wiring to it. It could also be the solenoid and not the wiring. Not likely but it could be both. That is assuming the transfer (lift) pump is delivering fuel to the ip.
Please provide machine Serial Number as there is a serial number break and there two different fuel systems on the 310G.
Just my own opinion here. Anytime I come across a 4045 Deere engine with this sometimes starts, sometimes doesn't issue, the first thing I check is the umbrella seals in the fuel lines. There are 5 or 6 of them in the hard lines between the filter and the injection pump. They look like cut pieces of fuel line and live under the "nut" on either side of all of the hard lines in the circuit. They degrade over time and let air in which allows the machine to lose prime. If that doesn't solve the problem I replace the manual/ mechanical lift pump. It has (as far as I know) the only check valve in the system. Umbrella seals are about $5 each, lift pump is $110. At least they were last time I bought them. In my experience, this is the fix. To the point that I always have the seals and a lift pump on my service truck.
The 310G has an ECM and therefore a pulse controlled Injection pump if I'm not mistaken. If a shot of ether doesn't get it to fire, I think it might be time to check compression.
The 310G had the stanadyne DB mechanical injection pump up to Serial Number -910055. Deere switched to the stanadyne DE 10 electronically controlled fuel system at 910056 serial number. This is why serial numbers are so important as different fuel systems exhibit a whole different array of problems.
With the OP nowhere in sight, let me ask this. Are early 310Gs really just 310Es mechanically? I have a 310E myself.