Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deer 544B wheel loader

chris allen ยท 2014-09-17 22:52

Hey guys,, anyone out there have any dealings with an ole 544b wheel loader, ive got one that is giving me hyd issues dealing with the bucket up an down function, my customer has an loader with forks on it instead of a bucket, well they load fresh green cross ties onto rail cars, an the loader don't seem to have any lifting power,, if ya dead head the tilt function an then pull the bucket up control valve it then helps the loader raise function lift on up,, kinda like it is has resolver issues like cat equipment does, I have even replaced the load check valves in the bucket lift control circuit, didn't make any differ either, I even have a extra control valve off a 544a model an it didn't make any change in opperations, still tilts back an forth fast like normal but still have to use both tilt an lift valve together to get the forks to lift the load upward like normal,, an when load is in the air the cylinders do drift down real slow,, I know that I do have internal cylinder leakage due to the drifting down,,,im going to pack both lift cylinders before its all over an down with but I really don't think the packing that's worn isn't why my lift function is acting up,,, I even wondered if the lil hyd pump that feed my control valves that's mounted on front of trains. has some were in it . any ideas anyone.

Replies3
  1. #1lantraxco2014-09-18 04:12

    Have you tried swapping port relief valves around? Are the hoses long enough you could swap the two lift hoses, or even swap lift and bucket hoses between sections? Good chance the piston seals one one or both lift cylinders are trashed and the rod packing is doing all the work. If you can with the arms down on the ground with a heavy load on the forks, remove and cap both hoses going to the rod ends of the lift cylinders leaving the rod ports open. GENTLY try to lift the loader at an idle... if oil gushes out of one or both ports, you got bad piston seals. Mind you this is not an acceptable troubleshooting technique if the EPA is watching and be sure everybody is well clear of any possible oil spray.

  2. #2overworked2014-09-18 08:44

    Makebblock off plates and add a gauge or Make a short hose and get a bucket

  3. #3chris allen2014-09-18 20:21

    Hey thanks for the reply bout my hyd issues, I hadn't took any hoses off yet an do the dead head test an see if oil pushs by the piston seal, I had though of trying to plum in my tilt lines to the lift lines ,but then again all four of my lines are still an cant fishem around to change valves, that's why I changed the complete valve body with a good one,,, an didn't wanta spent fifty bucks at the hyd store an get 10 differ fittings to tie in a hyd pressure tap. think im gonna try the removal of the lines an check leakage by the piston while dead heading load.