Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John deere 160 clc auxillary max flow

imgonnadigtochynaa · 2024-08-09 17:43

I've tried with no luck to find the max flow of the auxiliary hydraulic on my 160 clc. It's factory plumbed for auxiliary. The attachment I have been looking at adding is a ground mounted bucksaw for cutting up trees. It needs 45gpm @1500psi It's only running off 3/4" hoses right now. There's no need to run any function on the machine while the barsaw is cutting. It's possible I can tie into a travel motor if I needed to. But I'd prefer to be able to track when I need to move a little bit between cuts.

Replies29
  1. #1Diesel Dave2024-08-09 21:07

    160CLC auxiliary circuit flow , 36 GPM at 1500 psi. 26 GPM at 2500 psi. 18 GPM at 3000 psi.

  2. #2imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-09 21:22

    It looks a bit low for what the saw recommends. Can I assume the travel motor circuit will send sufficient flow?

  3. #3Diesel Dave2024-08-09 21:57

    No , each travel circuit is also only one pump so same specs as above.

  4. #4imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-09 22:17

    Thats interesting. I've seen a few people do it I wonder if they are just running the saw below the minimum requirements.

  5. #5Diesel Dave2024-08-09 22:21

    Back in the day when additional auxiliary oil was required we installed aftermarket “2 pump flow” kits. The kit sent a pilot signal to the bypass shut off valve in the main control valve 4 spool side which in turn sent all the oil flow from pump # 1 to the auxiliary circuit port. The flow in the standard auxiliary circuit supplied by pump #2 would be adjusted to add what ever additional oil was required. Contact hydraulic plumbing kit suppliers like HKX or HCT and explain what you are trying to accomplish and they should be able to fix you up.

  6. #6imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-11 21:43

    I actually have 2 solenoids in the machine that are actuated when the auxillary is turned on. I beleive one is a pilot line with an adjustment on it. And when operating the thumb (which I turned the 1 way into 2 direction after the aux) It will stall both tracks to nothing not just one.

  7. #7mg23612024-08-12 05:28

    Pictures of the setup?

  8. #8imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-12 06:09

    I'll have to get some next time im at the machine. I was always quite confused as to what the 2 were for but didn't really look into it very hard. It's possible I already have it. Especially if it slows both tracks down not just one. Unless I'm wrong and the tracks don't work on separate pumps.

  9. #9imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-13 20:40

    I could only snap a quick pic. But this is what's o

  10. #10imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-13 20:42
  11. #11mg23612024-08-14 05:30
  12. #12imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-14 10:14

    So does that mean I have dual pump flow already? I couldn't ever find that pressure reducing valve in any of the aux diagrams

  13. #13mg23612024-08-14 11:58

    No. The picture above would be the setup for standard 1-way auxiliaries, and no, it is not shown in any Deere schematics for the older machines. You would still need a two pump combined flow kit like @Diesel Dave said in post #6. Deere does not have a kit for a 160CLC. Those two companies he mentions in that post have real good kits. If anybody has what you need it would be one of them.

  14. #14Diesel Dave2024-08-15 11:18

    @imgonnadigtochynaa , I assume missing from your post # 11 picture is a pilot oil solenoid valve with 2 electrical coils to operate the thumb open and close.

  15. #15imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-16 05:14

    No I only have one way auxiliary I added a reversing valve further down the line.

  16. #16Diesel Dave2024-08-16 09:08

    Does the bucksaw require 1way or 2way flow ?

  17. #17imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-16 09:53

    It's one way. It's a table with a bar saw that comes down to cut the log. It has a third small line which is a low pressure bar home return. My understanding is it can either be replaced with an accumulator to return the bar, or pilot line pressure.

  18. #18imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-19 12:33

    I have put in some information requests with the company's you mentioned. Moving forward I do have a couple questions, Right now I have single direction flow. How difficult is it to use the other side of the aux? Is it as simple as installing the pilot valve and wiring? Or is the valve bank missing components like the releif and a different spool. If it's difficult I can just install a diverter valve to what i have now, if it's simple enough I would plumb it to the opposite side. And is there any functions that use dual pump flow at all? And any reason i couldnt plumb a diverter to that function to get full flow? Obviously I wouldn't be able to use that function while the diverter is engaged but I see no need to do so.

  19. #19Diesel Dave2024-08-19 21:53

    Boom up and also stick in and out functions are capable of 2 pump flow. Considering how your thumb is plumbed , in my mind to run the attachment using a stick function you would need at minimum , - (2) 3 way high pressure ball valves , pilot solenoid valve, pilot pressure reducing valve, pilot shuttle valve, (1) high pressure hose from stick cylinder to auxiliary tube. . To convert the existing one way auxiliary kit to 2 way, you would need at minimum , - 2 way pilot solenoid valve ,(1) 3 way high pressure ball valve , (2) high pressure hoses. I don’t recommend converting the existing auxiliary kit to 2 way flow with out installing the 3 way ball valve. The high volume of oil returning only through the main control valve will create excess back pressure and heat. *Converting the auxiliary kit from one way flow to 2 way flow does NOT increase oil flow*

  20. #20imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-19 22:01

    The idea I had. Right now my 1 way auxiliary is plumbed to a valve in which it reverses and forwards the flow if needed to operate the thumb. If I converted it to 2 way, I would plumb the return from direction 1 (thumb) directly to the tank after the thumb control valve, since in fact I do not need the return flow to go through the control valve. And direction 2 directly from the valve to the saw, and then directly to the tank. I would have no issue diverting a function of the machine either if I knew I would get the gpm. I could plumb a 6 port diverter valve on a button on the joystick, hit the button and pull the function.

  21. #21Diesel Dave2024-08-19 22:39

    You would have no problem getting enough flow from the stick function, but you would need to control it some how from being excessive. What is the flow rating on the 6 port diverter valve you are looking at ? . Let us know what the hydraulic suppliers have to say regarding 2 pump flow.

  22. #22imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-20 04:37

    I haven't looked at a diverter yet, most I see are about 40gpm, so I will have to do some digging for something a bit bigger. The attachment is rated to use upto 70gpm so I'm not sure if it could be excessive. So the stick and main boom are both capable of both pump full pump flow?

  23. #23Diesel Dave2024-08-20 08:17

    Yes . Post a pic of the valve operating the thumb when you get a chance.

  24. #24imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-20 12:19

    The directional valve?

  25. #25imgonnadigtochynaa2024-08-20 12:24

    It's a standard closed centre d03 directional valve. It's wired in a way that the forward position is always on, even when the auxiliary is not engaged. Therfore allowing the thumb to relief through the bank valve. When forward is pushed, only the auxiliary pilot is engaged, when reverse is pushed the do3 is reversed and the auxiliary is engaged.

  26. #26imgonnadigtochynaa2024-09-02 19:57

    So I was able to test the unit on one of the drive motors and it works quite well, so I will have no need to tap into my auxiliary hydraulics. It works better that way since It goes through the rotary manifold. I just had it hard plumbed to the drive motor, the plan is to use quick couplers and .annual diverters to switch from a stationary cutter to then move around. One question I have is, what is the flow from one track motor in Bunny rabbit mode? Will it exceed 45gpm?

  27. #27Diesel Dave2024-09-02 20:50

    The rabbit track speed is acheived by the propel motors changing displacement not oil flow. Each track motor is fed by individual pumps. You will need to tap into both track motors to get to your total of 45 GPM @ 1500 psi.

  28. #28imgonnadigtochynaa2024-09-03 05:18

    Okay, as I said it actually functions perfectly at whatever gpm it has. The diversion valves I was looking at are rated for 45gpm. Didn't want to exceed that. I've read of people running these Saws with as little as 25gpm.

  29. #29Diesel Dave2024-09-03 08:20

    So at approx 36 gpm you’re right in the middle. Have fun with the new saw.