Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 160 or Volvo 160

RedlineDrainage ยท 2013-03-24 18:00

looking at new excavators, currently run Volvo and its a very good machine but parts dealers are not close to us. Deere dealers are very close to us and many more of them in the areas we work. We don't need parts very often so we're looking at who likes what brand, we would either get a new 160 volvo or a new 160 deere. One thing on volvos we don't care for is the hydraulic hoses for the quick tach run over the top of the boom and tree branches hit them sometimes. Looks like new Deeres hoses for more protected. Also anyone that has experience with tier 4 engines throw in some input.

Replies10
  1. #1DGODGR2013-03-24 20:03

    Be sure to ask the Volvo dealer if the buckets will directly attach to the dipper (in case of coupler failure). I am not familiar with the newest versions of these machines, but when I bought my 315 (back in 2003) one of the things I did not like about the Volvo was the fact that the buckets would not attach directly to the machine. Yet the coupler was a pin grabber! Furthermore, the Volvo coupler required constant hydraulic pressure to stay engaged with the bucket. The small hydraulic lines are susceptable to damage too so if one is damaged the machine becomes useless until it is repaired. I hope that they have changed that with the newer machines but it is certainly worth asking the dealer about.

  2. #2buckfever2013-03-25 19:12

    I perfer the deere/hitachi machines. We have a volvo and it is a great running machine it is just some of the little things that make the deere pull ahead.

  3. #3Permafrost-ed2013-03-25 20:55

    Tough choice, I ran a 160 Volvo and loved it. Very accurate and great cab and ergonomics. It was almost new so I cant comment on reliability. I have run a lot of Deeres and Hitachis and like them very much as well. Well proven machines, good reliability and quality. I'd lean to the manufacturer that provided the fastest/best service. All of the above are great machines.

  4. #4ctconstruction2013-03-28 23:50

    we have a 2006 Hitachi Zaxis 160 and a 2012 Kobelco 210 with the tier 4 engine. The Hitachi has been bullet proof, Isuzu engine sips fuel. Compared to a few guys we know that have 160 Deere , the Hitachi is far better on fuel efficiency. Also rented a 2013 180 Deere last fall that still had the 120 hp JD engine and it was at 4.8 gallons/hr on fuel which we thought was still high. The Kobelco was just purchased and we used it for about 2 days now so i cant give any comment on the tier 4 engine, only that the fuel efficiency is unreal...2.6 gallons/hr.It has the Fiat engine with DEF. Both Hitch and Deere are great, i guess its down to personal choice. I can give a better breakdown of the tier 4 engine at the end of summer but im sure you will have bought one by then, good luck

  5. #5CatExcavator#12013-07-31 18:16

    Have you considered a Cat 316E?

  6. #6NFDDJS2013-09-07 21:25

    I was playing with a new 316E the other day. I really like it and I think I will be getting one this coming spring. I was very happy with it and how much fuel is was burning.

  7. #7theironoracle2013-09-07 22:31

    deere because help is closer, but the real decision should be made on cost per hour! or cost per production unit! I am sure unless the Volvos operate themselves the deere will win every time...the longer you intend to keep it the more important it is to go with the deere. this is one because it will hold its resale value better longer making it cheaper per unit and two because there is no doubt that the parts availability (new and used) and service will be better longer. we have a large rental outfit in the northwest TYLER RENTALS went all Samsung/Volvo for years with all excavators I think maybe they were even a dealer now they have switched over totally to deere don't know everything about that but maybe someone else in the know will be able to fill more in there. now if you were buying articulated dump trucks that is a different story but deere is doing a better job there every year................TIO

  8. #8Deereman2013-09-09 21:44

    Where are you exactly? And Deere has came a long way since the c'series. D's where a very good truck for deere and now we will see how the e's do. BTW i'm not saying Volvo trucks are bad..

  9. #9FP-Z712013-09-12 22:51

    I work for a dealer that sells both the Hitachi and the Volvo, and its the little things that make a difference. The volvo is easier to service, the computers are more operator friendly, and it seems that the bucket bushings last longer. The hitachi has a better engine, faster controls and requires no computer except for setting injector or dpf codes into the computer. The downsides: large parts on a volvo can be a b*tch to get, hitachis parts program and service advisor are the worst things on the planet. Both machines can accept normal pin on buckets Both machines are simple to get in and run Hitachis are larger and heavier on average Volvo has an error code for just about everything, which makes repairs easier Hitachi has the ability to perform a service regen with no laptop required Volvo has better telematics If the machine is working alone most of the time, the travel alarm can be silenced completely Volvo can handle different hydraulic oils better than Hitachi If you have any more questions, feel free to ask

  10. #10WoodBoy2020-11-13 22:01

    Bumping this back up. I have a 2019 Volvo EC160 rented. I had a 2018 Volvo 140 rented and liked everything but the weight of the machine/balance. The Volvo 160 seems to be everything I need/want. Am I missing out not renting the Deere 160 for a month if I am already happy with the Volvo? Both are spec'd similar. Deere had 1050 hours, Volvo with 700 hrs. Both within 5k of each other (deere being higher)