Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 180G

TheBadger ยท 2015-02-22 00:29

Looking for some input on this machine as I am looking to buy one this size. I am considering Deere and Hitachi. I am not sure the difference between the two besides the paint job and the engines. Also wondering the biggest bucket this thing will comfortably swing and if its worth it to get this size machine over the 160 size. I am primarily going to be doing basement excavation with this.

Replies6
  1. #1245dlc2015-02-22 01:09

    The 180 has the Deere engine and it's a pig on fuel my boss demo'd one before they bought a 210 Kobelco and they couldn't believe how much of a pig on fuel it was. Other than the motor it's just a Hitachi with the wrong paint and decal job. I'd stick with the Hitachi 160.

  2. #2TrentNz2015-02-22 02:52

    The 160's are horribly unstable

  3. #3Hitachi2252015-02-22 10:49

    I have a newer series 135 hitachi which is similar in size but zero turn with a blade, and it is an incredible machine. Hitachi makes a great machine and the isuzu motors are bulletproof.

  4. #4245dlc2015-02-22 16:05

    We have an '06 with a thumb and a tilt-bucket it seems fine to me.

  5. #5TrentNz2015-02-23 01:53

    Ours had a powertilt coupler, chubb thumb and possibly slightly oversized bucket so that may have been part of the problem. We even had extra counterweight added but still didnt really help. Bit sketchy loading over side of tracks into pristene alloy bins haha. Think it was an 09 or '10

  6. #6Jim Dandy2015-03-02 20:09

    We have a Hitachi 160 and don't find it unstable at all. It has a 36" bucket and a manual thumb.