Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 225clc – no or limited flow to attachment?

BRENT BARNES ยท 2020-09-04 23:04

Hi there, Im new to the forum. Been struggling with a new problem on a machine Ive owned for about 8 years. 2003 JD 225 clc rts with nearly 12000 hrs. I run a tree harvesting head on this machine generally. All of the sudden while operating, I lost nearly all flow to the attachment. base machine functions all work well and strong. Checked all the electrical aspects, does not seem to be electrical issue. When a button is pushed for a function, the engine comes under load and sounds like the pumps are being stroked, but the speed of the function is deathly slow/non existent. I did not have a flowmeter on site so could not confirm data. Is there a spool that is not shifting/barely shifting? Or a relief for that section stuck? Ive had a problem before where a function was slow and a spool limiting screw had self adjusted, but it got slow over time.. The afternoon was spent checking pilot hoses for obstructions, but I am having trouble identifying what is where at the pilot signal manifold block. There doesnt seem to be any diagrams available online. Hopefully I covered the basic background info there. If anyone has any suggestions on where to look next I would greatly appreciate the help!

Replies8
  1. #1uffex2020-09-05 04:10

    Good day Brent I suggest if you do not have an schematics for the harvester installtion it would be a good start to obtain. That will help a lot with trouble shooting. Kind regards Uffex

  2. #2mg23612020-09-05 05:55

    Welcome to HEF Brent ! Serial number? Is it a Deere installed system? Do you use the clipper switch on the floor or a button on the joystick to operate? I would double check fuses even though you hear a change in RPM. A flow meter would be the way to go to eliminate whether it is the machine or an attachment issue. Do you have another attachment to try? Pilot Signal Manifold ports M and N on one side (pilot "in" from solenoid) and 13 and 14 on the other side (pilot out to the caps) are for the auxiliary function pilot lines going to the spool caps.

  3. #3BRENT BARNES2020-09-06 10:16

    Hi guys, mg2361 this is a deere installed system. This attachment uses a main electrical master switch behind the seat and all functions are controlled via buttons on the joysticks. I did check all fuses over my left shoulder, and also did not find any electrical fault when doing self diagnostics on the attachment computer. I have a flowmeter but did not have it onsite, ill be trying that tomorrow. That is a miracle that you know the porting on that signal manifold. 2 hours of google searches yielded nothing for me. In reference to port M, there is a solenoid valve used with the attachment that sends oil to port M when a functioned is called for. I have verified that there is oil flow to port M, but couldnt trace it out the back of the manifold. That is a huge help knowing 13 and 14. Im thinking it could be a couple of things, either the spool for auxilary is not shifting/barely shifting, perhaps because of an obstruction in the pilot line? OR, i suppose the problem could be at the attachment, if say, there was not enough pilot pressure to fully shift the spools in the attachment valve? As you say a flowmeter would tell me where to look. I hate to be the guy to post such a long winded explanation, just trying to provide as much info as possible.

  4. #4John C.2020-09-06 10:35

    What brand of processor do you have on the machine? The manufacturers make the machines so that you can use many different attachments, but the maker of the processor builds the way to hook into the machine. Many today hook into a two pump function and then use a computer to control that function to send the proper amount of oil to the processor. Have you checked for machine fault codes? Does you processor have a diagnostics program to be used for troubleshooting it?

  5. #5BRENT BARNES2020-09-06 12:47

    The processing attachment is a denharco branded unit made by SP maskiner 1996 model. Ive operated this unit for about 8 years so am quite familiar with the head itself. The processor itself has features Where all electrical inputs and outputs can be tested and everything on that end is working as it should.

  6. #6John C.2020-09-06 14:39

    Are sure the valve spools are all moving properly? Possibly a motor coming apart and throwing junk back into the valve? Does this unit have the control box with relays mounted somewhere in the cab? It's been so long since I had to crawl into a Denharco, I can't remember the parts and pieces anymore.

  7. #7BRENT BARNES2020-09-06 15:20

    Hi John, no im not positive. But every function of the head is affected. With this head there is a 24 wire cable coming from the main computer that sends signal directly to the coils on the head.

  8. #8John C.2020-09-06 18:53

    I don't have any schematics of that processor. What I would suggest is pulling the cover off the top and following where the hose comes into the processor valve bank and where it comes out for the return. Then you can energize something on the head and see if the hoses jerk around for an indication if the problem is at the processor or the machine. I'm thinking there is some kind of throttling valve or inlet valve at the head that isn't moving for whatever reason.