This unit has around 8000 hrs. Brought it home with all kinds of oil leaks. Changed all fluids and fixed all leaks and filters. Put in John Deere brand recomended 10w30 oil. Oil is foaming. Travel is erratic and inconsistent. There are no leaks of any kind. There were no issues prior to service. Help ?
Deere recommends CJ4 15W40, but I can't see any reason that 10W30 wont work.
OK, this happened to me ONCE years ago but keep in mind it is only something to investigate. I used a 30 wt oil in a machine that foamed also...……...come to find out it had a detergent additive in it. Outside of that foaming oil is usually fine air bubbles from a suction leak between your pump and the hydraulic tank. Did you clean or change a suction screen?
Used John Deere plus 50 engine hydraulic oil. Changed and cleaned the suction screen and changed hydraulic filter. Disconnected the line from the pump to the tank return and suction filter and found reverse flow. Not supposed to have happened according to JD service support. They had determined flow would be traveling to the suction filter and hyd filter and returning to the pump via bottom outlet back to the pump. Made since to me but something is obviously misleading. They thought by starting the unit with line disconnected, I could tell if oil had air at or after the pump. They are going to look into there information to determine the directional flow and get back with me. I know I am missing something simple here.
First, how about a serial number. The line you disconnected. Was that line #2 below (early serial number shown)?
Serial LU244JX714452 2006 MODEL 244J This is an accurate picture of what I have. I disconnected line #20 at the top.
So I have a clear understanding....you removed # 20 up near the hydraulic tank cap and you had oil coming out of that fitting the hose connects to when cranking and/or running?
Yes. This is correct. Another side topic, the pneumatic accumulators serve what purpose and do they need to be serviced or recharged? I ended up taking off the main feed #2 from the bottom of the reservoir to the pump and found the bottom side of that line wet with oil. It does have a few scuff marks and the flat oring on the clamped pump end appears to be very dry and quite compressed. I will make up a new line tomorrow. Whether or not this is the issue I am not sure. The other lines that I have replaced, all had very small pinhole leaks. Crossing my fingers. Please offer suggestions. Regards Bruce
It would be normal for oil to come out if that fitting at the fill cap because there are returns from other places attached there as well. Take care of leaks first. The two accumulators are for the pilot system and the ride control.
This I found today to be true. The tech at the JD service department was misinformed. I did take the main suction line from bottom of resevoir to pump feed off and found it to dry cracks throughout it's length. Will replace with new today to see if this will fix this issue. Thank you for the continued support !!
Should these accumulators be checked and can they be recharged or serviced?
As far as I know only the ride control accumulator can be serviced. The others are non-serviceable if I remember correctly.
No luck . Replaced what appeared to be weathered and cracked line from resevoir to pump inlet #2 pictured above. What next ? Pump pressure checks ?
Here is a picture. Thoughts
This ? Is air in the oil. This is where all my foam is coming from. Wanted to send video but was unable.
Unfortunately I have to think that if the machine was fine before the service and the air started after the service then the problem has to be service related. Did you use JD Parts or aftermarket? Otherwise the air should be from wherever the hose in the picture comes from (I think....??). Check to see if that hose is the one connected those ports.
Hello again Over our last consversation, things have been tried and discovered. In an effort to localize the source of air in the oil, I disconnected the suction line from the top of the tank and put is directly into a reservoir of oil to eliminate any possibility of air being accumulated before the pump. I still get air in the oil coming from the return in the above picture indicated. I have steady charge pressure of 320 LBs and clean flow coming through the charge pressure port. I have changed the main pump seal and hydrostatic seal where it mounts to the engine. I have replaced seals and o-rings connecting the main pump to the charge pump. Suggestions where to go from here?
The transmission charge pump is not the pump that is bolted to rear if the hydrostatic pump. The pump bolted on the rear is your hydraulic pump. The transmission charge pump is located inside the drive pump. The transmission charge pump pump has it own suction line. There will be two small pressure ports on the head of the hydrostatic drive pump. Those ports will be marked mA and mB , forward and reverse .charge pressure can be measured here in nuetral and drive pressure when engaged. I believe what you are referring to as charge pressure is actually pilot pressure. Find the hose that come from the bottom of the tank that goes into the head if the drive pump.
This is the drive charge pump located in the through drive for the tandem pump This is the pump that is likely sucking air.
The correct port to measure drive pump charge pressure is G. Also port S is the charge suction port, it is only plugged when an external charge pump is used.