Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 24A Loud Groaning When Trying to Turn

Skid Billy ยท 2022-11-24 23:11

Greetings. I've got a JD24A that makes a loud hydraulic pump type noise when trying to turn it. Im wondering if anyone has experience with these machines. Im not sure if there is a filter screen on the pumps that I am missing. I bought this machine very cheap with the previous owner saying one pump or motor was weak. I spent quite some time getting it started. It is a diesel with the Isuzu C190. It will run pretty well now, but possibly has an injector issue because it smokes quite a lot. I changed both of the hydraulic filters and put some new fluid in because the previous fluid was very milky. There must have been a mouse that got into the system somehow because there were remains of hair clumps that were removed during the fluid change. Now that the fluid has been changed, the bucket operates very well. It will lift the front of the machine no problem - although the two lift cylinders are both leaking around the rods. I think I can get rebuild kits for each of the drive pumps for around 170 each but it looks like just gaskets in the kits. I've not rebuild a hydraulic motor before, and I know from experience that I should exhaust all possibilities before taking a project so far as to open one of the motors. It goes forward and backward no problem but really groans when I try to turn it. It has the T bar controls. I'm going to look into finding a repair manual, but figured I would check here to see if anyone has any suggestions. Maybe the info will also help someone in the future. Maybe it'll help the guy I sell this machine to if I cant get it turning properly hah.

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2022-11-24 23:39

    not a lot of experience on something that old here, you could try farmer oriented sites, or at least find out who made it and the other model numbers for it, I don't think JD made those early ones. OMC, Mustang? What happens if you go full speed forward with both sides? and full speed back? which direction does it veer each way?

  2. #2Skid Billy2022-11-25 07:08

    Thanks for your time. It doesn't make much of a pump noise at all when going forward and backward and seems to go in a straight line both ways and can go full speed. I'll put it up on blocks today and see what I can make of the wheel movement when turning.