I have a JD 290GLC excavator with the 6068HT073 engine that is throwing a 174-03 error code. This is a fuel temperature sensor type error. It has been throwing it for a while, but it had been clearing up within a couple of seconds. Now, the error is constant and my machine won't start (no cranking) and has a yellow CHECK ENGINE icon over the display. The unit serial number is 1FF290GXEEE706050. The JD parts catalog shows the part, but gives no indication as to where it is located. The service manual doesn't even mention it at all, and also doesn't even have a machine schematic. I have searched the engine, concentrating on where the wiring harness and fuel system intersect, but have not even come close to finding this sensor. Does anyone have any insight as to where this sensor may be located? The sensor is item 35 in the picture below.
I wouldn’t think a fuel temperature related code would prevent the engine from cranking. . Fuel temp sensor #35 is installed in fuel manifold #33. Follow the low pressure fuel line #10 from the high pressure fuel pump to locate the fuel manifold. Pic of fuel manifold attached. .
Actually, on the HT073 engine it should be just below and behind the EGR cooler outlet pipe at the left rear of the engine. Check your messages.
Right on to this. Thanks to you guys, I found the sensor - and the reason for failure. Finding it was an entirely blind operation. The yellow flat of the other sensor is all that can be seen from the top (circled in red, above). I've ordered a new sensor, arriving on Monday. Question is, can this be accessed without massive disassembly? I haven't tried removing the damaged part yet. Most of these sensors have 22mm flats. I'm wondering if a 22mm socket will clear everything.
Well, I can get a 22mm socket on the sensor to remove it, but getting the new one in will be an issue. Do I have to remove the EGR heat exchanger to get the new sensor in? The issue isn't EGR clearance, but room to be able to thread the sensor into the manifold. I've had the exchanger off before to replace a leaking fuel line behind it and its bracket. (See photo) It's a PITA, but it is doable. I have the Operator Manual, the TM12172 Technical Manual and the TM12178 Technical Manual for this machine. I am SHOCKED as to how bad they are. For instance, NONE of them give mention one to any engine sensor, let alone how to find any. The pages that you guys provided me were way superior to anything that I have. May I ask as to what manuals these are? Are they Super-Secret-John-Deere-Technician-Only manuals? Can I get my hands on one? I seem to remember years back when John Deere's attitude toward their customer was, "All your equipment belong to us. Only JD people can repair "our" equipments. This make our cash flow from you to us very good. For you? Too bad, so sad." Getting their ass sued off changed their tune right proper!
Those are the Operation and Test manual, and the Repair manual. They are for the machine only. For the engine, you need CTM104719 . Click the highlighted manual and it will take you to the John Deere bookstore.
Well, I picked up the sensor yesterday and got it installed will little problem. I went to the cab, checked for the error and it was gone. Tried to start - still no go. PO'ed, I got out my voltmeter and checked the batteries. 21.2Vs across both of them (but no LOW BATTERY alarm). I broke out the generator and put on two battery chargers and brought the voltage up to 23.8V. NOW, the machine will start. However, now the power pack is squealing. I've attached an audio file if anyone wants to be totally annoyed. I've tried to localize the squeal, but it is so pervasive that it seems to be coming from everywhere. It is also quite loud. BRIEF HISTORY: I recently changed the main hydraulic filter, pilot filter and the hydraulic oil. I followed the manual's PUMP STARTUP PROCEDURE by filling the pumps with oil and bleeding all the air from the pumps. I also recently had to remove both the EGR Heat Exchanger and its bracket to replace a leaking fuel line. To do this, you have to drain most of the coolant from the engine, but it goes right back in once everything is reassembled. Nothing has been done with the machine, except cycling the boom and dipper to build up hydraulic pressure in the system since doing the above repairs.
Yes that is annoying !! Belt squeal for sure, is the alternator seized ?
I thought that it might be either the alternator, or the A/C compressor, so I removed the "fan" belt and restarted. Squeal was still there.
How about a charge air cooler hose with a split in it?
Engine won't crank again. I brought the batteries into town to give them a proper charge to see if they will hold a charge. If not, tomorrow I'll get two new ones (at a million dollars a piece!). I'll search around the air hoses tomorrow. I'm going to start another thread concerning the squealing. If you want to comment on the Fuel Temp Sensor saga, do it here. If you want to comment on the squeal, do it here.